• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st Time

Spencer73

I have been carrying concealed for a couple months now and I have made the decision to start open carrying. Does anyone have any advice?
I will keep you posted

PistolPackingMomma

Know your local and state laws, be as calm and relaxed as possible, and carry a recording device.

Have fun!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Know your local and state laws, be as calm and relaxed as possible, and carry a recording device.

Have fun!
What she said.
icon14.png

xmanhockey7

Have fun!

Don't worry about local laws as Indiana has full state preemption (when it comes to carrying a gun). Also do make sure you know Indiana's carry laws well.

Last edited:

Murphy

Some thoughts...(you probably already know these...)

Carrying it in "plain sight" seems to work just fine.
Most folks seem to either ignore it or look at it and go back to what they are doing.

Only two that have questioned me is a former Ohio cop now living in Indiana (go figure), and a young lady that had never heard of the second amendment.

Just remember that there are "no carry" zones and respect business owners rights.

And don't get into any type of "exchange" with "a concerned citizen" that "knows more than you"...

Good luck with it. I've had no real problems....

OC for ME

Good holster, I use this one.

Get a good recorder as previously mentioned, one that will record for at least 12 hours. I use one similar to this.

A pistol is not a cross that we must bear when we decide to be proactive in our self-defense preparedness.

Good luck and be confident.

Spencer73

Thanks for all the advice. I open carried for the first time today after receiving my holster. I'm using a level 3 Blackhawk holster. Everything went fine. No one said anything or even acted as if they noticed.

Tanner

Best thing to do now is prepare for that first conflict and be ready to bit your toung. Remember they already know your not allowed to have a gun! While there can be an oportunity to educate some folks others could just be trying to get a reaction out of you. Know when to talk and when not to. I have been OCing for about over a month now. So far no one seems to notice or care when they do notice so I havent had any negative or positive interactions. But the best interaction is not having one in the first place. Keep us posted on what happens. I know I will be all over the forum when something happens.

Spencer73

I had my 2nd day of oc yesterday. I was more nervous because I was in more crowded areas closer to the mall. More people seemed to notice today and just not care. I did get a few looks from some younger kids and some women. Overall a good day of oc. I just need to become more comfortable doing it in crowded areas.

Spencer73

Another successful day of open carry. I did a little grocery shopping at Kroger. Not one problem. I don't even know if anyone noticed. I'm getting more comfortable open carrying.

Tanner

I had my 2nd day of oc yesterday. I was more nervous because I was in more crowded areas closer to the mall. More people seemed to notice today and just not care. I did get a few looks from some younger kids and some women. Overall a good day of oc. I just need to become more comfortable doing it in crowded areas.

And then a CHPer says you should CC in crowded areas! And you say????????

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Another successful day of open carry. I did a little grocery shopping at Kroger. Not one problem. I don't even know if anyone noticed. I'm getting more comfortable open carrying.

And then a CHPer says you should CC in crowded areas! And you say????????

I don't have a problem with it and don't know anyone else that has either. Have a nice day.