• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti Gun Groups and City To Meet At Town Hall

rapgood

Strictly enforced? We'll see...

“Town Hall Seattle has a strict policy of no weapons in our facility,” Anthony Detrano, Town Hall’s marketing and communications director, said. “Our primary goal is the safety of all of our attendees. The best way we can accommodate that is through a zero tolerance policy towards firearms, knives, and other dangerous items. This will be posted at the door and enforced.”

Well. If it is a true strict "zero tolerance policy" and is strictly enforced, we should make them affirm that policy during the meeting and then inquire as to why the LEOs in attendance (assuming there will be) are not required to leave their firearms outside (assuming they will not be). Either it's "zero tolerance" or it isn't. There is no "sorta zero."

retrodad

I'll tell you this, the last Ceasefire meeting at Town Hall one of their guys came over and introduced himself and wanted to know who I was, and I told him. You might want to keep in mind the Seattle Freeze. This is a socail click thing were people are black balled or ostrizied from the in power group for having a different opinion than the group. So if you work in the city, what do you peers at work think about guns and how does that play in the work politics. Just something to keep in mind. They don't have any Intimidators, they have lawyers and high opinion of themselves, but thats it. I can say this, I went to the first ceasefire event and spoke. The second time they had a cop there to protect them, it was pretty funny.

Thanks, jsanchez... if I speak, or am spoken to, I'll stick to one pseudonym or another. I don't want to be dishonest, but given where my bread is buttered, I'd prefer some anonymity.

Dave Workman

Try this on for size: Define "Gun Violence"

Here's a good prep piece for next Monday's meeting, for those planning to attend.

How do you define ‘gun violence?’

A crazed home-invader shot dead in North Bend after repeated warnings from the homeowner that he was armed; an ex-boyfriend killed by a Michigan woman as he was trying to strangle her; an image of Australian athletes in a United States gun shop holding shotguns and handguns for a photo; are these all examples of so-called “gun violence?”

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-do-you-define-gun-violence?cid=db_articles

retrodad

Excellent starter, Dave! I don't blame folks for being scared of what they are ignorant of or have an agenda against. But it does concern me when they use such FUD to drive legislation. And the definitions floating around out there, as you pointed out, are incredibly broad.

Levi

In my experience, anti's dismiss such stories as aberrations that don't justify the murders, suicides, and hurt children. The best approach, one I have successfully used to change and anti's stance, is to get the CDC study and the before and after violent crime rates of places that put in place a draconian gun policy.

A good place to start would be: http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

Another good tack is to be sympathetic to the apparent goal. After all, we really do want to see a drop in gang violence, murder, and suicides. We need to look at the root causes and address them rather than the tools used. Violence and accidents existed before firearms and will continue after every gun has been melted down. Also, education and awareness are important. The world isn't safe and never will be. We can educate people on situational awareness, personal security, and the benefits of strong communities.

I would refrain from introducing the idea of everyone should get a gun, that will close them down. If they bring it up, I'd recommend the response "I'm not here to debate firearms, I'm here to help find solutions to the problem. After all, gun bans aren't a solution, as seen around the world. Banning guns doesn't work, lets look at other ideas."

Finally, if you've been completely dismissed, stonewalled or they've taken to the stance that gun bans are the only thing "you're pushing a political platform, not looking for solutions"

That's my two cents, best of luck to all that go. Sorry I won't be able to make it.

TechnoWeenie

Don't forget the 'we need guns because we might need to overthrow the government' argument.

:D

sudden valley gunner

“Town Hall Seattle has a strict policy of no weapons in our facility,” Anthony Detrano, Town Hall’s marketing and communications director, said. “Our primary goal is the safety of all of our attendees. The best way we can accommodate that is through a zero tolerance policy towards firearms, knives, and other dangerous items. This will be posted at the door and enforced.”

Well. If it is a true strict "zero tolerance policy" and is strictly enforced, we should make them affirm that policy during the meeting and then inquire as to why the LEOs in attendance (assuming there will be) are not required to leave their firearms outside (assuming they will not be). Either it's "zero tolerance" or it isn't. There is no "sorta zero."

+1

I agree with the empty holster protest, but see nothing wrong with someone eating nearby armed , many might eat after the event too and be at the same establish and witness firearms that don't magically create violence.

jsanchez

Well tomarrow is the big day....

We get to put the smack down on the anti gunners. I'm torn as to what to wear tomarrow. Do I want to wear my Starbucks guns and coffee t-shirt, and thigh rig? Or should I go more covert by dressing nice, not wearing a holster. This would let me intermingle with the anti's get into freindly conversations with them, play like i'm on their side, get all sorts of good intel on them and pave the way for future incursions behind their lines. Keep your freinds close, but your enemies closer, kind of thing.

skiingislife725

We get to put the smack down on the anti gunners. I'm torn as to what to wear tomarrow. Do I want to wear my Starbucks guns and coffee t-shirt, and thigh rig? Or should I go more covert by dressing nice, not wearing a holster. This would let me intermingle with the anti's get into freindly conversations with them, play like i'm on their side, get all sorts of good intel on them and pave the way for future incursions behind their lines. Keep your freinds close, but your enemies closer, kind of thing.

Do you have a belt rig? I'm thinking I'll dress nice and have my empty holster. Warms them up better to actually conversing.

07Altima

I really wish I could go

I feel sick to the idea that they are pushing anti gun crap, and always use this no guns allowed thing to scare off those who carry. If you can tell them I would have loved to be there to tell them about my case. I had some one try to murder me my wife called 911 yet it took them 15 min to get there, in that time I suffered a Skull fracture, glass shards in my legs, 3 cracked ribs blood in my lungs, and the only thing that saved my life was an Ice Ax. The Psychopath who tried to kill me did so in my own home broke down two doors, both double locked. He broke my wifes nose, and eye socket. I lost nearly a pint of blood. Yet now that I am armed they want to disarm me in order to go speak, let them know that I have given permission for you to speak on my behalf about this if it helps. I nearly died, the only thing that made it so he is in an institution is my ax, otherwise it would have been a double murder investigation. However since they gave a man who cut his ex wifes boyfriend up into pieces while forcing them to watch only 7 years because he just didnt take his meds im sure their methods will just make me feel so much better in denying me the victim a voice because I live in fear anywhere I go that I can not carry!!!!

those who were at coffee this month have met me, and I do give my permission to let you speak any of you on my behalf, I would love to be there if time, and finances permitted however I can not afford a body guard who can stand outside to ensure my safety so I will not be attending. I am sorry to all of you for this however that experience has shaken me to my core, and I still have a hard time coping with it.

07Altima

need to clarify

the guy who attacked me was not the one who cut up his ex wifes BF I was stating that since they gave him 7 years for it I can only imagine how that is suppose to make me feel about how they would deal with my would be murder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jt59

Just in case they bring up more police or some thing along these lines....this today...

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...nders-after-10-hour-standoff-with-police?lite

50 shots fired in the neighbor hood.

or this:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030426&slug=webchief

or this (racially motivated)

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/in_philadelphia_white_cop_shoo.html

There are lots of examples:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...gunshot-wound-police-officer-apparent-suicide

I'll be curious to hear the feedback....and if the focus on gun violence is in public or generic to all gun violence (including the home)....if so, it seems to open the door for the discussion on the hundreds of crimes averted by armed citizens....

There's plenty of laws, don't think more will help....

Last edited:

skiingislife725

I just got an email from the ticket vendor. You can actually ask questions via email or Twitter. So, if you can't make it and you've got an interesting question you think might be good, you still have a chance.

Hello,Thank you for RSVP'ing to Town Hall's public safety conversation tonight. The doors to the public will be open at 6:30pm. The program will begin promptly at 7:30pm. Because the forum is being broadcast by the Seattle Channel, we will not allow late seating. Please be in your seats by at least 7:20.Audience questions will be taken from comment cards in the hall and from e-mail and twitter. If you'd like to ask a question in advance of the forum please e-mail contact@seattlechannel.org with "public safety" in the subject line. Our registered twitter hashtag is #safeseattle for you to follow the conversation and ask questions via twitter.We're looking forward to hosting this event tonight. Thank you for your interest.