• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting issue with access...

Freedom First

I am planning on going to a meeting at a building that is an alternative High School operated by the local school district. It is either rented or leased from a local church. Of course they do have the GFZ signs at the doors since it is a public school building during the day. But what happens when the church, which owns the building, uses the same rooms after hours? Is it still a GFZ? :eek:

Time for all you outhouse lawyers to chime in!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I am planning on going to a meeting at a building that is an alternative High School operated by the local school district. It is either rented or leased from a local church. Of course they do have the GFZ signs at the doors since it is a public school building during the day. But what happens when the church, which owns the building, uses the same rooms after hours? Is it still a GFZ? :eek:

Time for all you outhouse lawyers to chime in!

It is only a GFSZ when the school is in sole possession of the building. Refer to AGO #8 (1994)

http://www.atg.wa.gov/AGOOpinions/opinion.aspx?section=topic&id=9238

We conclude that the term "used exclusively" refers to uses where the school or schools have sole possession, control, or use of an area of a facility. It is not limited by the duration of the use

Levi

So that I understand this correctly, if the school is the only thing in the church during school hours, it's a GFZ during school hours. If the church maintains office hours during school hours or leases rooms out for another purpose, then it's not a state mandated GFZ. Am I correct in this interpretation?

hermannr

So that I understand this correctly, if the school is the only thing in the church during school hours, it's a GFZ during school hours. If the church maintains office hours during school hours or leases rooms out for another purpose, then it's not a state mandated GFZ. Am I correct in this interpretation?

The AG's opinion was: What/When/Where it is used exclusively as a school, it is a school...where ever it may be. If it is not being used exclusively for school activities, it is not a school. Note his comment "there is no reference to time or duration' I would expect that goes both ways.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Only the classrooms, offices that the school is using if it is shared during those hours.