• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washoe County Libraries need to change their signage

battleborn

Went to the South Valleys Library with my kids today and spotted incorrectly worded signs on their doors.

I talked to the library's manager and she was amicable and provided the contact info for the county managers office. She even Google'd the NRS and agreed the statute only referred to concealed firearms.

I will be calling and emailing on Monday

20991544-9d6c-f238.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
THANK YOU for bringing this to their attention!

The fact you got management to agree with you is just a plus!

renoglock22

The same misleading signage is at the Sheriff's office up on Parr Blvd. How wold anyone go about getting that one changed?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
The same misleading signage is at the Sheriff's office up on Parr Blvd. How wold anyone go about getting that one changed?

The day after my 21st Birthday, on November 24, 2010, when I went to the Sheriff's office to submit a concealed carry application, I was threatened with arrest. A few months later on July 11, 2011, Deputy District Attorney Mary Kandaras told me over the phone that they would not allow carry at the Sheriff's office. I told her about how the DMV agreed with me that open carry was allowed and she said she wanted to see something from the DMV in writing. I never got a letter, so I'm not sure how that would have worked out. I was too busy with school work and kept putting it off and never ended up trying to obtain a letter.

Last edited:

renoglock22

I don't know... the day after my 21st Birthday, on November 24, 2010, when I went there I was threatened with arrest for violation of 202.3673. A few months later on July 11, 2011, Deputy District Attorney Mary Kandaras told me over the phone that they would not allow carry at the Sheriff's office. I told her about how the DMV agreed with me that open carry was allowed and she said she wanted to see something from the DMV in writing. I never got a letter, so I'm not sure how that would have worked out. I was too busy with school work and kept putting it off and never ended up trying to obtain a letter.

Well I just had a run in with the DMV (story in the "where did you carry" thread) and apparently they still don't like it. I am going to send them a letter explaining what they did was harassment. They still didn't kick me out, just expedited me. I just don't see why the DA would need a letter from the DMV when it is already written in the NRS. I have wanted to carry at Parr but you know how cops are.

battleborn

THANK YOU for bringing this to their attention!

The fact you got management to agree with you is just a plus!

MAC702...I am writing the letter to the county manager and I think I am having some trouble getting my point across, let me know what you think.

June 11, 2012

Katy Simon
Washoe County Manager’s Office
1001 E. 9th Street
Reno, NV 89512

Dear Katy Simon,

In a recent visit to the South Valleys Library, in South Reno, I observed signage at the entrance that is misleading and incorrect (see attached photo of signage). This sign states, “Firearms prohibited in this building per NRS 202.3673,” leading library patrons to believe that this particular Nevada Revised Statute forbids the possession and carry of all firearms within the library, which based on the cited NRS, is incorrect. The purpose of this letter is to request that these signs be replaced with ones that contain the correct and appropriate verbiage based upon the cited Nevada Revised Statute.

I have attached the referenced Nevada Revised Statute, and as you can see the statute provides that individuals with a concealed firearms permit are “authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building” with the following exceptions, “A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of: a public building that is located on the property of a public airport,” if the public building is “a public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education,” or “A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.”

I have placed in bold the sub sections and words that are relevant and pertinent to the purposes of this letter. As you can see the Nevada Revised Statute that Washoe County has chosen to cite at the entrance of the South Valleys Library does, in fact, forbids concealed carry of a firearm, but does not forbid all methods of carry with regards to firearms, principally the open carry of a firearm. Based upon NRS 202.3673, this letter is a formal request to change the sign to correctly read, “Concealed firearms prohibited in this building per NRS 202.3673.”

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think you get your point across very well! Your format was perfect. You started with a brief summary of the complaint. You then provided details to support your case. Finally, you concluded with a brief suggested resolution. I see no reason to hit it with a lice comb to look for minutia. Save any further details until after you see their attitude toward changing it.

That reminds me, though. I promised RenoGlock to help him, too. I need to get that done this evening.

The Big Guy

MAC702...I am writing the letter to the county manager and I think I am having some trouble getting my point across, let me know what you think.

June 11, 2012

Katy Simon
Washoe County Manager’s Office
1001 E. 9th Street
Reno, NV 89512

Dear Katy Simon,

In a recent visit to the South Valleys Library, in South Reno, I observed signage at the entrance that is misleading and incorrect (see attached photo of signage). This sign states, “Firearms prohibited in this building per NRS 202.3673,” leading library patrons to believe that this particular Nevada Revised Statute forbids the possession and carry of all firearms within the library, which based on the cited NRS, is incorrect. The purpose of this letter is to request that these signs be replaced with ones that contain the correct and appropriate verbiage based upon the cited Nevada Revised Statute.

I have attached the referenced Nevada Revised Statute, and as you can see the statute provides that individuals with a concealed firearms permit are “authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building” with the following exceptions, “A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of: a public building that is located on the property of a public airport,” if the public building is “a public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education,” or “A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.”

I have placed in bold the sub sections and words that are relevant and pertinent to the purposes of this letter. As you can see the Nevada Revised Statute that Washoe County has chosen to cite at the entrance of the South Valleys Library does, in fact, forbids concealed carry of a firearm, but does not forbid all methods of carry with regards to firearms, principally the open carry of a firearm. Based upon NRS 202.3673, this letter is a formal request to change the sign to correctly read, “Concealed firearms prohibited in this building per NRS 202.3673.”

Sugestion: I would change the greeting from "Dear Katy Simon" to "Dear Ms Simon".

Question: Who owns that library? Down here we have problems with the library system because they claim to be a government unto themselves. Even though they were chartered by the state, are supported by county tax funds and the directors are appointed by the county and the city in which they reside, they claim they are private and not subject to state pre-emption. If they are owned by the county, you are correct. If not, the statute does not apply to them at all.

TBG

chrsjhnsn

This subject really irks me, freaking registered sex offenders can use the library but people with background checks cant even conceal at the library, we really need to get a group of people with recording devices to all go at the same time as well as go talk to the appropriate people at that county complex on 9th and wells, I suspect most people ccw just so they don't have to hassle with know it alls, but enough is enough.