• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody OC in North Las Vegas? Noob questions here

Codename46

Hey guys,

I recently took a CCW course (offered by New Frontier Armory) and when I asked the instructors (who were active-duty cops) about OC'ing while having a CCW permit, they gave me the following:

• OC'ing puts a lot of police attention to you
  • If you get yourself on the police radar by OC'ing the Clark County Sheriff can revoke your CCW permit

^EDIT: Ok I sensationalized it a bit there. Read on further in the thread for my more elaborate description.

I've never heard of something like this. However, I do come from Texas (a non-OC state) so OC'ing is pretty foreign to me. Are they full of crap?

Any tips on OC'ing in NLV? Do you guys have meetups around here?

Thanks.

Last edited:

vegaspassat

I'd like to know how doing a comletely legal action could result in negative recourse from the sheriff. That is absurd. What were these instructors' names!?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My first question is that there are active duty police officers that teach CCW classes at a local gun store?

My second thought is: "That explains why it's bull****."

Guido seems like a stand-up fella here. I hear LOTS of good things about his store. This is interesting.

The last OC get-together that I attended was at a bar in NLV. I both OC'd and had a beer.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was going to start a thread here tonight about something similar. Maybe the two are related.

Just today I got a phone message from a former student saying his friend had just been told during his CCW class that once you have a permit you cannot OC. He wanted to believe it was false, but called me to make sure. My message back to him was very politically correct considering how pissed off I am when people tell these lies. Honestly, I don't know how it can be out of ignorance, nor do I know what they get out of such an agenda.

Codename46

I would also like to point out that one of the instructors portrayed the general Open Carry movement here in a negative light. He stated that there are a group of people who would get together and just open carry along the strip, and if they were ever stopped/questioned by police that they would make a fuss about constitutional rights and things of that nature.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I would also like to point out that one of the instructors portrayed the general Open Carry movement here in a negative light.....

Please remember that not everyone who OC's is part of a "movement." Some of us just choose to carry that way for our own reasons and we really WANT to be left alone. And guess what, the LAW says we should be!

Also remember that "Law Enforcement" is a title, not a job description.

vegaspassat

I would write them, but I won't for fear of flying off the handle. What a mickey mouse operation. They can't even spell "perspective" correctly on their home page.

The Big Guy

Heck yes, you take their course and you have nothin' to fear. It says so right on their web page. You have a gun, you have their training, so you will never be invaded in your home and woe be to anyone coming after you in a dark parking lot. You will never be afraid again.

Thanks, I'll keep my fear, it gives me an edge.

TBG