• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tuttle Mall in Columbus

ZeroC

I went to Tuttle Mall today for the first time since gun signs were of any concern to me. Went in at the entrance at Panera and Ruby Tuesdays. It's posted right at the door. "It is illegal to carry a firearm , deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance anywhere on these premises. Unless otherwise authorized by law, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises. Posted pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code."

This is one of those signs that are supposed to only be use on government buildings and not private? Is this one of those concealed carry is legal since a CHL is authorization?

Hareuhal

I went to Tuttle Mall today for the first time since gun signs were of any concern to me. Went in at the entrance at Panera and Ruby Tuesdays. It's posted right at the door. "It is illegal to carry a firearm , deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance anywhere on these premises. Unless otherwise authorized by law, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises. Posted pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code."

This is one of those signs that are supposed to only be use on government buildings and not private? Is this one of those concealed carry is legal since a CHL is authorization?

Those signs can be posted anywhere, it is not restricted to just government buildings. And private establishment may post them if they wish.
And to answer your second question, no, no gun sign = no guns, period. The "unless authorized" pretty much is towards LEOs, not private civilians with permits. Even with a CCW/CHL, you still cannot carry in there.

MyWifeSaidYes

And while I would not bother to let the mall owners know you aren't patronizing their locations, I WOULD try to let every store owner leasing space in that mall know that they aren't getting your money due to those signs.

I feel this will be a prolonged battle, but one that needs fought.

ZeroC

And I found after a quick Google search that the owner of Tuttle Mall is Simon Properties. Who also owns the Tacoma Mall which had a shooting in 2005 that injured 6 people and the Westroads Mall which had a shooting in 2007 that left 9 dead and 4 injured.

Hareuhal

And I found after a quick Google search that the owner of Tuttle Mall is Simon Properties. Who also owns the Tacoma Mall which had a shooting in 2005 that injured 6 people and the Westroads Mall which had a shooting in 2007 that left 9 dead and 4 injured.

Any information on if the had Magic Signs posted prior to the shooting, or if they added them post?

ZeroC

Yes, at the time of the Westroads Mall shooting it was posted as no guns allowed. So was the Tacoma Mall as far as I can tell.

Hareuhal

Yes, at the time of the Westroads Mall shooting it was posted as no guns allowed. So was the Tacoma Mall as far as I can tell.

So they had anti-gun signs posted..then had shootings occur...and they still think the signs work. Some people..

Makarov

The gun buster signs pertains to concealed carry. However, it has never been challenged in court. In addition, off duty police officers carrying concealed must obey the signs.

Last edited: