• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WTH is going on in Aurora?

SpringsColt

Had the opportunity to chat with a couple more of the CSPD guys last night, and I felt much better about things down here after this chat. Both of them denounced APD's tactics as totally out of line, and one of them even came out and said that something like that would never fly here. I'm thinking that one should write a letter to every Police agency in your city/county,and your local government. Ask them if jackbooted tactics like the ones used by APD would be supported in your community, or whether they actually understand that the "Constitution of the United States is NOT a philosophical document" as stated so beautifully by M.

So we know where everyone stands before we reelect them.

Police need to understand, perhaps for the first time, that they are public servants, and just like the government, preside at the consent of the people, not the other way around. Way too much 'tough guy' attitudes on every police force that I come into contact with, and that's most of them in Southern Colorado...I know it's not getting any better any further north! Plus these guys are armed like SEAL Teams, (hell, some of them were SEALS) and that's a lot of power to be handing out to a bunch of cocky LEO types. I agree with the post that said that the Polize will be the ones used by the .gov to rape away the remaining liberties we have remaining. All in the name of "Security" too.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. And Americans SUCK at history.

Gunslinger

Springs and El Paso County cops know what the constitution they swore to uphold and defend is. If all cops were like them, half the posts on this forum would be gone.

RockyMtnScotsman

Springs and El Paso County cops know what the constitution they swore to uphold and defend is. If all cops were like them, half the posts on this forum would be gone.

not all of them.....

Talked to a CSPD guy about this last night. He says we live in a society where citizens don't need to be questioning Police on their tactics, as it's a Public Safety issue, and people just need to comply and let everything get sorted out. He said it wasn't a violation to detain them for questioning, as they were released shortly thereafter. I asked him if he puts cuffs on someone, does he have to read them their Rights, to which he replied that he always has, but this was a different case.

I didn't really hang out ant chat with him much after that, as I was busy trying not to panic. I've known this guy for years, and he's just a dude like you and me, until he puts on the Uniform...I think that it's gotta suck pretty hard to be a Cop, and I wouldn't want to do their job, because it seems on a long enough timeline, they become what they are chasing, and seem to look at everyone as either Criminals, or Future Criminals. But hearing him justify his fellow officers tactics...that just blew me away.

Someone should post the phone numbers of whoever needs an earful. This cannot get swept under the rug. This is happening in our own backyard people, and until we take it back, the Power is in their hands. I am just at a loss for what a normal citizen can do about a situation like this.....

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
The email letter I sent to the Mayor has gone without response to this point.
As a result, I figure I'm gonna send him an actual physical letter via registered mail requiring a signature.
Let's see if that stirs up anything.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

You cannot be charged with resisting an unlawful arrest. This is settled law.

I DISAGREE!

Resisting arrest in Colorado occurs when (1) a person (2) knowingly (3) prevents or attempts to prevent a peace officer (4) acting under color of his official authority, (5) from effecting an arrest of the actor or another by: (a) using or threatening physical force or violence, (b) using any other means which creates a substantial risk of causing bodily injury to the police officer or another. Resisting arrest is a class 2 misdemeanor and can be found at C.R.S. 18-8-103. If the Police Officer is injured in through your resisting, you can be charged with a mandatory prison charge of Assault in the Second Degree, C.R.S. 18-3-203.

Further, I direct you straight to the statute in question:

18-8-103 (2) "It is no defense to a prosecution under this section that the peace officer was attempting to make an arrest which in fact was unlawful, if he was acting under color of his official authority, ..."

ManInBlack

I DISAGREE!

Resisting arrest in Colorado occurs when (1) a person (2) knowingly (3) prevents or attempts to prevent a peace officer (4) acting under color of his official authority, (5) from effecting an arrest of the actor or another by: (a) using or threatening physical force or violence, (b) using any other means which creates a substantial risk of causing bodily injury to the police officer or another. Resisting arrest is a class 2 misdemeanor and can be found at C.R.S. 18-8-103. If the Police Officer is injured in through your resisting, you can be charged with a mandatory prison charge of Assault in the Second Degree, C.R.S. 18-3-203.

18-8-103 (2) "It is no defense to a prosecution under this section that the peace officer was attempting to make an arrest which in fact was unlawful, if he was acting under color of his official authority, ..."

That statute would appear to be invalid in light of SCOTUS precedent in Bad Elk v. U.S., as well as numerous Circuit court decisions.

M-Taliesin

Reply from Mayor's Office

Howdy Folks!
I found the reply to an email letter I sent to the mayor's office. I believe it is even more necessary to write a physical letter to the office of the major based on this response. It is not from the mayor himself, but one of his aides:
--------------------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Mayor with your concerns about the police incident on June 2, 2012. The Mayor asked that I respond to you on his behalf. You might recall you and I spoke about this matter last night.

There have been a wide range of reactions about what occurred that day and think it is important to share a summary of some of the facts. Despite sharing much information with them, some media reports of this event have been incomplete and even inaccurate, and this has led to misunderstandings as to what occurred. I hope this summary might provide you with better understanding and insight:

o An armed bank robber had just terrorized 12 people at a local bank, pointing a gun at them and stealing about $25,000.

o Aurora police officers had specific, credible information and were certain that the armed bank robbery suspect was in one of 19 cars stopped at the intersection.

o Because of his disguise, the police did not have a good description of the suspect or a description of his car or possible accomplices.

o The police and the FBI worked as expeditiously as possible to identify the suspect and his vehicle. However, due to the nature of the search, this process still took a long time.

o Eventually, the police identified and arrested the suspect, in part through technology and in part through the goodwill and patience of the other citizens involved.

In the end, the process of identifying the suspect took longer than anyone anticipated. Police Chief Oates has publicly apologized for that.

The City Attorney is comfortable that the officers' actions were lawful, given the extraordinarily unusual and dangerous circumstances of the event. Nevertheless, the entire police response will be carefully reviewed and any lessons learned from this assessment will be applied to future operations.

It was the positive and cooperative assistance of our residents that day that led to the arrest of a very dangerous criminal who is now facing federal prosecution. Had he escaped, none of us know what terrible consequences might have occurred at a future bank robbery.

I hope you find this information helpful and that it provides a more balanced perspective on the matter.

Director of Communications

City of Aurora
-----------------------------------------------

I only removed her name and my own from the text above for privacy/security reasons.
However, I have some real issues with the statement she sent to my attention!

1. An armed robber having terrorized 12 citizens at gunpoint in a bank does not justify police terrorizing some 40 people (many of whom were children) at gunpoint on a public street, where their antics were viewed by even more citizens who likely felt terrorized.... but we will never know because the number and identity of those who saw this event are unknown!

2. The police did not have credible information as to the sex, age, race, or any other characteristic of the bank robber, so were forced to harass and intimidate an entire cadre of citizens at gunpoint. If the information was so specific, and so credible, why was it necessary to threaten (at gunpoint) 40 other citizens of Aurora? The only thing the police knew was that the bad guy was in one of 19 cars. That fact does not give police license to dispence with the Constitutional rights of the citizens of Aurora who were threatened with deadly force.

3. The police, by the city's own admission, was not known by any description. So much for specific and credible information. Again, their lack of any clues to the identity of the robber does not give justification to police officers to arrest, detain, intimidate, threaten, and endanger law abiding citizens, stripping them of their rights under the Constitution of the United States and the Constitition of the State of Colorado! You cannot threaten innocent people at gunpoint!

4. That the FBI also broke the law and violated the Constitutional, rights of law abiding citizens does not absolve the City of Aurora from both Civil and Criminal culpability for their actions on that day. It only illustrates that the police state mentality at work can be seen at various levels of government.
4b. While the law allows for a brief detainment, this circumstance defies any definition of brief, considering that people were held for more than 2 hours!

That the police chief apologized does not mitigate police thrashing of the Constitutional rights of every citizen stopped, detained, arrested, threatened at gunpoint, endangered by police who aimed weapons at them, and terrorized Aurora citizens and their children! The very fact an apology is necessary indicates a wrong took place, and the chief knew it!

That the outlaw was subsequently arrested is not justification for stripping citizens of their Constitutional rights under either Federal or State law.

It is hardly surprising, considering the law enforcement community of Aurora Colorado, has set itself above the Constitutional rights of the citizens of Aurora Colorado, because that's the way tyrrany works. When a junta is in power, the rights of the people under their control vanish. That the city attorney endorsed the extraConstitutional behavior of police in violating the rights of citizens is hardly surprising. He works for his paycheck for the same city that hires police to behave in a manner outside the rule of law or the constraints of the Constitutions of the United States and State of Colorado. He is hardly an independent observer, nor a very good attorney if he believes no citizen rights were violated. The simple, basic, elemental fact you cannot dismiss is that innocent men, women and children were threatened with terminal force at gunpoint while lawfully going about their business.

When the Constitution of the United States is cast aside for expediency,
And the Constitution of the State of Colorado is thrown out in favor of government domination of the citizens at gunpoint,
it no longer is an America we grew up in.
It is a militarized dictatorship where citizens rights have become optional at the whim of government.
Can detention camps be far behind?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

ManInBlack

I only removed her name and my own from the text above for privacy/security reasons.

That little Napoleonette voluntarily took a public position, paid for by public money, and is serving to disseminate the mayor's propaganda to the public. Why does the shrew deserve any privacy when acting in her official capacity?

ETA: Found it. Kim Stuart. Since she has designated herself as point woman in the misinformation campaign, she deserves to be named and shamed.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...An armed bank robber had just terrorized 12 people at a local bank, pointing a gun at them...

So the score was 12 to 19. Looks like the cops won after all.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

So the score was 12 to 19. Looks like the cops won after all.

Howdy Pard!
Not to nitpick, but the number of innocent citizens at that intersection, who had their rights run roughshod by storm trooper tactics was much greater than 19!

19 cars, with some 40 citizens who were confronted by cops gone wild! Only one car with one bad guy served to justify trampling the rights of more than 40 citizens and terrorize not only them directly, but onlookers who observed but were not detained.

Who needs Al Queda when we have the Aurora PD?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You are right! I wrote more quickly than I thought!

So with a score of more than 40...

I still have two lingering questions.

I want to know HOW they could know he was in one of those 19 cars without knowing anything else!

I also want to hear a detailed report about the bank robbery itself. Are the people that were in the bank being interviewed by anyone other than police?

JamesB

You are right! I wrote more quickly than I thought!

So with a score of more than 40...

I still have two lingering questions.

I want to know HOW they could know he was in one of those 19 cars without knowing anything else!

I also want to hear a detailed report about the bank robbery itself. Are the people that were in the bank being interviewed by anyone other than police?

Was the "bank robber" in the employ of the police and/or other governmental agency? Was the entire incident staged just to gauge citizen reaction to an incident of this nature? I mean I trust my government not to...
na, I can't even finish that one.

DocWalker

Howdy Folks!
The email letter I sent to the Mayor has gone without response to this point.
As a result, I figure I'm gonna send him an actual physical letter via registered mail requiring a signature.
Let's see if that stirs up anything.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

You may want to send copies to the media outlets also.

DocWalker

o in part through technology and in part through the goodwill and patience of the other citizens involved.

It was the positive and cooperative assistance of our residents that day that led to the arrest of a very dangerous criminal who is now facing federal prosecution.

I like how the city official keeps saying how cooperative the victims of police gone wild. I'm sure the germans thought the Jews were cooperative when they were offered a shower. Of course both the citizens of Aurora and the Jews had guns pointed at them.

Gunslinger

I DISAGREE!

Case law overrides this statute. Unlawful acts committed under color of authority are a violation of the USC and the courts, as I noted, have held this for years. Quote the entire subsection if you want to challenge me:

(2) It is no defense to a prosecution under this section that the peace officer was attempting to make an arrest which in fact was unlawful, if he was acting under color of his official authority, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<and in attempting to make the arrest he was not resorting to unreasonable or excessive force giving rise to the right of self-defense.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A peace officer acts "under color of his official authority" when, in the regular course of assigned duties, he is called upon to make, and does make, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>a judgment in good faith based upon surrounding facts and circumstances that an arrest should be made by him.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gunslinger

Howdy Folks!
I found the reply to an email letter I sent to the mayor's office. I believe it is even more necessary to write a physical letter to the office of the major based on this response. It is not from the mayor himself, but one of his aides:
--------------------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to contact the Mayor with your concerns about the police incident on June 2, 2012. The Mayor asked that I respond to you on his behalf. You might recall you and I spoke about this matter last night.

There have been a wide range of reactions about what occurred that day and think it is important to share a summary of some of the facts. Despite sharing much information with them, some media reports of this event have been incomplete and even inaccurate, and this has led to misunderstandings as to what occurred. I hope this summary might provide you with better understanding and insight:

o An armed bank robber had just terrorized 12 people at a local bank, pointing a gun at them and stealing about $25,000.

o Aurora police officers had specific, credible information and were certain that the armed bank robbery suspect was in one of 19 cars stopped at the intersection.

o Because of his disguise, the police did not have a good description of the suspect or a description of his car or possible accomplices.

o The police and the FBI worked as expeditiously as possible to identify the suspect and his vehicle. However, due to the nature of the search, this process still took a long time.

o Eventually, the police identified and arrested the suspect, in part through technology and in part through the goodwill and patience of the other citizens involved.

In the end, the process of identifying the suspect took longer than anyone anticipated. Police Chief Oates has publicly apologized for that.

The City Attorney is comfortable that the officers' actions were lawful, given the extraordinarily unusual and dangerous circumstances of the event. Nevertheless, the entire police response will be carefully reviewed and any lessons learned from this assessment will be applied to future operations.

It was the positive and cooperative assistance of our residents that day that led to the arrest of a very dangerous criminal who is now facing federal prosecution. Had he escaped, none of us know what terrible consequences might have occurred at a future bank robbery.

I hope you find this information helpful and that it provides a more balanced perspective on the matter.

Director of Communications

City of Aurora
-----------------------------------------------

However, I have some real issues with the statement she sent to my attention!

1. An armed robber having terrorized 12 citizens at gunpoint in a bank does not justify police terrorizing some 40 people (many of whom were children) at gunpoint on a public street, where their antics were viewed by even more citizens who likely felt terrorized.... but we will never know because the number and identity of those who saw this event are unknown!

2. The police did not have credible information as to the sex, age, race, or any other characteristic of the bank robber, so were forced to harass and intimidate an entire cadre of citizens at gunpoint. If the information was so specific, and so credible, why was it necessary to threaten (at gunpoint) 40 other citizens of Aurora? The only thing the police knew was that the bad guy was in one of 19 cars. That fact does not give police license to dispence with the Constitutional rights of the citizens of Aurora who were threatened with deadly force.

3. The police, by the city's own admission, was not known by any description. So much for specific and credible information. Again, their lack of any clues to the identity of the robber does not give justification to police officers to arrest, detain, intimidate, threaten, and endanger law abiding citizens, stripping them of their rights under the Constitution of the United States and the Constitition of the State of Colorado! You cannot threaten innocent people at gunpoint!

4. That the FBI also broke the law and violated the Constitutional, rights of law abiding citizens does not absolve the City of Aurora from both Civil and Criminal culpability for their actions on that day. It only illustrates that the police state mentality at work can be seen at various levels of government.
4b. While the law allows for a brief detainment, this circumstance defies any definition of brief, considering that people were held for more than 2 hours!

That the police chief apologized does not mitigate police thrashing of the Constitutional rights of every citizen stopped, detained, arrested, threatened at gunpoint, endangered by police who aimed weapons at them, and terrorized Aurora citizens and their children! The very fact an apology is necessary indicates a wrong took place, and the chief knew it!

That the outlaw was subsequently arrested is not justification for stripping citizens of their Constitutional rights under either Federal or State law.

It is hardly surprising, considering the law enforcement community of Aurora Colorado, has set itself above the Constitutional rights of the citizens of Aurora Colorado, because that's the way tyrrany works. When a junta is in power, the rights of the people under their control vanish. That the city attorney endorsed the extraConstitutional behavior of police in violating the rights of citizens is hardly surprising. He works for his paycheck for the same city that hires police to behave in a manner outside the rule of law or the constraints of the Constitutions of the United States and State of Colorado. He is hardly an independent observer, nor a very good attorney if he believes no citizen rights were violated. The simple, basic, elemental fact you cannot dismiss is that innocent men, women and children were threatened with terminal force at gunpoint while lawfully going about their business.

When the Constitution of the United States is cast aside for expediency,
And the Constitution of the State of Colorado is thrown out in favor of government domination of the citizens at gunpoint,
it no longer is an America we grew up in.
It is a militarized dictatorship where citizens rights have become optional at the whim of government.
Can detention camps be far behind?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

"the positive and cooperative assistance of our residents..." just like the positive and cooperative assistance of the inmates at Treblinka as they politely walked into the gas chambers. What a ******* *******'s line of bs. The only people terrorizing that dad where the badged Gestapo. I don't think the robber pointed a shotgun with his finger on the trigger at any children. The only people terrorized were the subjects the SS held captive.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I think this quote from a founding father of our nation says it all:

"Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort. I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it?" Patrick Henry

Any questions, my fellow citizens? Or should I say.... fellow subjects?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin