• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Zombie Apocalypse Isn't Coming, the CDC Says

PistolPackingMomma

Perfectly reasonable. Whether or not zombies can walk long distances underwater is still a matter of conjecture, but personally I'd rather not take that risk, and trust a nice big wall ;)

I just thought we'd beat this to death (ha!) in the other thread. Twice.

My official answer is that it depends on what sort of zombie we're facing.

Batousaii

This is a whole separate modifier.
~ The slow mulling 1980's "undead" zombies can be a pain in numbers... but the 2000+ (28 days later) Fast scrambling "Virus" zombies could be a serious problem one or two at a time. Unfortunately, i see the later virus/chem zombies as a way more probable scenario. Some cure for disease-x mutates and becomes contagious through contact.
We laugh, but hell, look at what these "bath-salts" create, granted it is an ingested drug, technology and strange things are invented underground at every turn of histories pages.

Metalhead47

I just thought we'd beat this to death (ha!) in the other thread. Twice.

Um, what thread was that? Must've missed it ;):p

This is a whole separate modifier.
~ The slow mulling 1980's "undead" zombies can be a pain in numbers... but the 2000+ (28 days later) Fast scrambling "Virus" zombies could be a serious problem one or two at a time. Unfortunately, i see the later virus/chem zombies as a way more probable scenario. Some cure for disease-x mutates and becomes contagious through contact.
We laugh, but hell, look at what these "bath-salts" create, granted it is an ingested drug, technology and strange things are invented underground at every turn of histories pages.

I remember reading an article not too long ago on the plausibility of a "zombie" virus. Reanimating the dead is still the realm of fiction, but a rage virus like in 28 days is well within the realm of reality if you ask me. Viruses already do some pretty weird things biologically, and there are fungi that take over the nervous systems of insects and basically turn them into zombies. Wouldn't take much, chemically speaking, to overdrive the brain's anger functions while shutting down everything else.

The upside to that is, since they're actually alive, all those "rage zombies" would probably be dead in a month or two from starvation.

PistolPackingMomma

Um, what thread was that? Must've missed it ;):p

I remember reading an article not too long ago on the plausibility of a "zombie" virus. Reanimating the dead is still the realm of fiction, but a rage virus like in 28 days is well within the realm of reality if you ask me. Viruses already do some pretty weird things biologically, and there are fungi that take over the nervous systems of insects and basically turn them into zombies. Wouldn't take much, chemically speaking, to overdrive the brain's anger functions while shutting down everything else.

The upside to that is, since they're actually alive, all those "rage zombies" would probably be dead in a month or two from starvation.

Here you go

The drowning zombie discussion starts on page 2, and goes on to the last post.

Batousaii

all those "rage zombies" would probably be dead in a month or two from starvation.

Debatable, i think several factors would come in to play.
- Do they eat only the un-infected, or would they turn on each other as well. Would they eat old rotted food/flesh? - Would they retain any pre-cognitive functions that allow them to use tools, search for and eat other forms of substance? i.e. would they search for and eat regular food in the act of self preservation? If their only drive is to kill, then yes they'd starve fast... If they are driven by primal instinct to eat "anything" and recognize anything as food (including you and me), then it would be a long slow process.

- How much survival instinct would they retain in general? What would the level of intellect be after infection?

A virus zombie that would eat anything, and retained a small portion of it's re-cognitive self would be a formidable oponent... especially in hordes.

These factors could be the difference between a two month incident, or years long episode.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Debatable, i think several factors would come in to play.
- Do they eat only the un-infected, or would they turn on each other as well. Would they eat old rotted food/flesh? - Would they retain any pre-cognitive functions that allow them to search for and eat other forms of substance? i.e. would they search for and eat regular food in the act of self preservasion?

- How much survival instinct would they retain in general? What would the level of intellect be after infection?

A virus zombie that would eat anything, and retained a small portion of it's re-cognitive self would be a formidable oponent... especially in hordes.

These factors could be the difference between a two month incident, or years long episode.

In "28..." there was very little actual eating going on, biting just happens to be a rather convenient way of killing others in a fit of rage. And at the beginning of the sequel they said flat out that all the rage zombies had died of starvation in 6 months. I say if it has any shred of self-preservation instinct left, it's not a REAL zombie.

(now think of all the anti-gun sheeple you encounter who could fit that description :p)

amzbrady

Now say you had to flee, cant stay hold up in one place forever. What would be your choice of vehicle. I think I would want an amphibious tank. Tall enough sides that the zombies can climb on, treads so there are no flats, and able to run out to the deep end where the zombies can walk under water and come up from below.

amphibious tank.jpg

Metalhead47

Now say you had to flee, cant stay hold up in one place forever. What would be your choice of vehicle. I think I would want an amphibious tank. Tall enough sides that the zombies can climb on, treads so there are no flats, and able to run out to the deep end where the zombies can walk under water and come up from below.

View attachment 8620

overkill. You don't need multi-inch plate armor to protect against decaying flesh & bone. And where are you gonna find spare parts when the thing inevitably breaks down?

Give me a circa 1990 Suburban (350 or diesel), HMMWV beadlock wheels, a welder, & some light steel grate and you'll have a zombie-proof postapocalyptic APC that you can fix practically anywhere, ESPECIALLY out in the country where zombies will be few (country boys like their chevy's)

amzbrady

overkill. You don't need multi-inch plate armor to protect against decaying flesh & bone. And where are you gonna find spare parts when the thing inevitably breaks down?

Give me a circa 1990 Suburban (350 or diesel), HMMWV beadlock wheels, a welder, & some light steel grate and you'll have a zombie-proof postapocalyptic APC that you can fix practically anywhere, ESPECIALLY out in the country where zombies will be few (country boys like their chevy's)

Ok, a chevy truck modified might be ok.

a tank-truck-300x182.jpg

Attachments

• a tank-truck-300x182.jpg
    a tank-truck-300x182.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 97

amzbrady

I still like my first choice. I was just thinking, it will not be JUST zombies that you will need to worry about. The uninfected will be looking for supplies and a means to live also. The lawlessness would make it all about survival. Got to be able to move about so you can find the Twinkies.