• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question from a Kentucky man

wolfgangmob

once you have a foid card? that sounds fun, what exactly is that?

Firearm Owners IDenification

If you live in Illinois you MUST have a FOID card otherwise you are illegally in possession of any firearm, but if you are form another state there is no need to have a FOID card, this has been dealt with in court already. Now you don't say if you are moving to IL, but if you live in Kentucky you will have to have the gun shipped to an FFL in Kentucky, this is the same with ALL handgun sales to non-resident persons. Any dealer not shipping the gun just violated federal law and would also lose their FFL and possibly face charges if the gun cannot be accounted for. If you buy a long gun you may receive it into your possession from the FFL in IL, I've bought a couple guns back in IL after I moved to MO, no problems at all, same with ammo, just be prepared to have someone not realize FOID cards are strictly for IL residents, even cops might think so :banghead:

wolfgangmob

Curtis - the hold times on "long guns" (rifles & shottys) is 24 hours.
It's handguns that require a 72 hour (3 day) hold.
But why would you want the hassles of buying, shipping, and FFL transfer fees to buy a gun in Illinois? Those additional costs would probably put the cost over what you would pay in Kentucky.

Are the hold times still required for a non-resident who would not face them in their state? I know the sale must comply with both states, but I'm a MO resident so I don't have waiting periods but IL is 24 hr long guns. In the case of a long gun sale which state law wins out? I've heard it either way from different dealers in IL but hat is the actual law?

Last edited:

Curtis C

i'm not buying any gun from there, i'm nosey lol all you have to do in kentucky is walk in, say i want that one, fill out some paperwork for the dealer he calls a background check in things check out give him the money walk out with gun 15-20 mins

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
i'm not buying any gun from there, i'm nosey lol all you have to do in kentucky is walk in, say i want that one, fill out some paperwork for the dealer he calls a background check in things check out give him the money walk out with gun 15-20 mins
Yeah, you would NOT like Illinois. I lived there from 1978 until early 2001. Being a gun owner is almost as bad as being a sex offender in that state. Which is why I'll NEVER move back.

There has been talk, off and on over the years of instituting a HOID, or Handgun Owners ID card. I don't know how far this got, the last time it was discussed, that I know of, was maybe a year or two before I moved out. Naturally, it's always been proposed by some state anti-gun group, "for the sake of the children," and all the other hogwash they like to pull out.

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic that Illinois may eventually get a concealed carry law soon. I know, we have a better chance of seeing a hurricane on Lake Michigan, than that. :)

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can only purchase a gun from a ffl in your resident state. You can buy ammo, but not a gun.

So you cannot buy a gun in IL if you live in KY unless you have the IL ffl send it to a KY ffl and u get it from the KY ffl.

Curtis C

sounds like it, but its seems real silly for a person from ky to buy from ill with the laws they have. unless it is just some rare or oh my god i gotta have that or i'm gonna die item.

Curtis C

yes, yes i have, i wanna see how things work in places with strict gun laws from the people that live there

lockman

State Researcher
I have a Michigan concealed pistol license. Which do you think?

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

Michigan, ok its obvious. But as you well know the state of Illinois treats gun owners and sex offenders about the same; although, I believe they offer more legal protection to the sex offenders.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yeah, you would NOT like Illinois. I lived there from 1978 until early 2001. Being a gun owner is almost as bad as being a sex offender in that state. Which is why I'll NEVER move back.

There has been talk, off and on over the years of instituting a HOID, or Handgun Owners ID card. I don't know how far this got, the last time it was discussed, that I know of, was maybe a year or two before I moved out. Naturally, it's always been proposed by some state anti-gun group, "for the sake of the children," and all the other hogwash they like to pull out.

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic that Illinois may eventually get a concealed carry law soon. I know, we have a better chance of seeing a hurricane on Lake Michigan, than that. :)

Sadly you are correct. As long as the criminal politicians of Chicago are running the show concealed carry will reamain a fantasy. It is amazing how Chicago controls the whole state, and how only 2 counties can vote democrat during a governor election and a democrat win. I'm all for making Chicago it's own state, then we can set back and watch the blood flow in the streets because they care more for crooks and criminals than law abiding, hard working Americans; then the REAL Illinois can get it's freedom back!

wolfgangmob

Its FEDERAL law that you must purchase in the state u live in .... so it doesn't matter what state pair you inquire about

You can only purchase a gun from a ffl in your resident state. You can buy ammo, but not a gun.

So you cannot buy a gun in IL if you live in KY unless you have the IL ffl send it to a KY ffl and u get it from the KY ffl.

Keep in mind that ONLY applies to HANDGUNS, while you may know what you mean people may read this and assume all firearms.

Sorry Wolfgangmob, but I don't know about the law regarding out-of-state buyers. I have been told that the wait times apply to out-of-state buyers as well.
Either that, or the dealer here will only transfer it to an FFL in your state.

I know on long guns I've been told either and I've purchased with no hold time in IL, I also had a dealer say he could sell me a handgun directly even though I was out-of-state, I promptly got away from there and called the ATF.