• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Department reverses decision on blocking re-importing MI Garands from Korea...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This is the first time I've seen that the rifles will be imported through the CMP. I think that may be incorrect. Either way, I look forward to them coming in! I hope they bring home the Carbines, too!

Dreamer

This is the first time I've seen that the rifles will be imported through the CMP. I think that may be incorrect. Either way, I look forward to them coming in! I hope they bring home the Carbines, too!

The won't be "imported through the CMP". They will be sent back to the DOD, who will then turn them over to the CMP. The CMP may only sell--by law--firearms turned over to them by the DOD. They cannot import firearms themselves from commercial sources.

As for the M1 Carbines, don't hold your breath. The State Department considered them to be "assault rifles" because they are short, take magazines, and use small rifle ammo, so there is little hope that they will be allowed back in.

Because everyone knows that Bloods and Crips prefer to use under-powered deer rifles that are 36" long and weigh over 5lbs for their drive-by shootings... :banghead:

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The won't be "imported through the CMP". They will be sent back to the DOD, who will then turn them over to the CMP....

Sorry. I meant: "imported for sale through the CMP." Other articles on the subject seemed to indicate it would be by private importers.

Mas49.56

The won't be "imported through the CMP". They will be sent back to the DOD, who will then turn them over to the CMP. The CMP may only sell--by law--firearms turned over to them by the DOD. They cannot import firearms themselves from commercial sources.

As for the M1 Carbines, don't hold your breath. The State Department considered them to be "assault rifles" because they are short, take magazines, and use small rifle ammo, so there is little hope that they will be allowed back in.

Because everyone knows that Bloods and Crips prefer to use under-powered deer rifles that are 36" long and weigh over 5lbs for their drive-by shootings... :banghead:

A couple of years ago I bought one of the Italian carbines from CMP that came in. What has changed?

ScottNH

Orest Michaels of the CMP has stated more than once that CMP wouldn't get because CMP could only deal with weapons lent to other countries and returned, not those sold as the RoK ones were. Wonder if that changed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Orest Michaels of the CMP has stated more than once that CMP wouldn't get because CMP could only deal with weapons lent to other countries and returned, not those sold as the RoK ones were. Wonder if that changed.

Everything I have read regarding the ROK M-1s indicates that the were on loan to South Korea. Do you have information to the contrary?

ScottNH

Everything I have read regarding the ROK M-1s indicates that the were on loan to South Korea. Do you have information to the contrary?

From the CMP Forum:

The part about them being distrributed through the CMP is false. I have no idea why they came with up with that, other than to please the crowd.

The subject has been discussed many times over on the "Ask Orest" sub forum on the CMP forum.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76