• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit fireworks, no place for CPL and OC folks

Bailenforcer

There has been information coming from gang and Police sources that on some gang sites there is an effort for do the flash mob attacks of last year in much greater numbers. This latest call by Gang member's is for in excess of 500 gang members to join a massive and well organized attack on Fireworks goers for Robbery and also racial attacks. If you start searching you will find even on Tumblr.com and other sites, it's being talked about. This is a setup for some CPL holder or OC'er to be killed and a bad place to be until the City of Detroit either cancels the Fireworks or grows a spine and get the proper amount of Police and potential firepower to deal with a 500 man armed and organized Gang out to spill blood and make headlines. I for one will not even consider walking into a situation that might have me being accused of something I didn't do when I merely tried to protect myself, and frankly if it is worse than last years insanity, no sane CPL holder or OCer would venture there when the threat is as it is stated. Supposedly the authorities are taking this seriously, but with looming Lay offs of Police officers and and a bankrupt city this is a disastrous mix, short of the State providing National guard as a backup to the low Detroit Police dept ranks to deal with this potential disaster. After 34 plus years of carry I learned one thing, you don't walk into a sh*t storm and expect to come out smelling like Roses. Some things are not worth the risk. And those who would cry foul or coward, should remember George Zimmerman thought he was doing the right thing and we now see what a Political mess that turned into. Common sense should prevail... We can only hope.

I have got this from reliable sources and after 15 minutes surfing the Internet I have confirmed this appears to be real.

The gang is called RTM Related through Money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzG9VcOuls8

http://www.detroituncovered.com/
Is it time to shut down the fireworks?
The city of Detroit no longer has the manpower to police the annual fireworks display and the rest of the city at the same time. Each year a reported 1 million people are in downtown Detroit during this event. Last year there were numerous fights, several shootings and the gangs have even taken to social media to discuss what they will do during the event. In addition there is the cost of clean up after the 30 minute show ends. City workers are left with mounds of trash and repairs of city owned fixtures. The cost is too great for a city with no money and its unsafe for visitors and officers because of the dangerously low police manpower numbers.
Should the fireworks be canceled this year?

.....................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Seems to me this is a bad event for anyone to show up to. CPL holder/OCer or not.

Michigander

Detroit is an exceptionally well armed city. Coleman Young telling the KKK to come on in and do their march comes to mind. So too do the 43 and 67 police riots.

Any major gang related violence will not be something that a small gaggle of outsiders will have any business foolishly thinking they can inhibit or otherwise influence.

I've walked all over Detroit, sometimes through some of the worst areas, always with multiple guns. If you mind your own business, only look someone in the eye once, and cross to the other side of the street to give drug deals their room, no one will mind you just passing through. No one wants to die usually, so if you look dangerous yet indifferent to gang bangers, you'll not likely have problems.

But to all of a sudden think you'll come in and lay down the law? That's why their are untold thousands of unregistered LMG's and things in Detroit. It's a wonderful city with a lot of wonderful people, but it's not a city that intelligent outsiders will attempt to fix. So yes, I agree with bailenforecer. I'm definitely staying away.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Yep. Too bad that the gun owners dont have the backbone to stand up to a street gang. How do you expect to get your rights back from the .gov if you can't even watch fireworks because of some street punks?

The irony in this, fireworks and all, is something.

Bailenforcer

Okay here's goes the clueless comments again.. I spent 39 years living and working the streets of Detroit, not hiding in a trailer park many miles away in Suburbia. First line of defense is not to pick a fight you know can't be won. Your silly assertion we should go in force shows your Political ignorance. If we did such there would be not only a invitation for the brain dead gang bangers who would love to die for their cause (stupidity) as we see daily in this country, but the Media and 90% of the Politicians would paint such an incident as proof they need to ban guns because dangerous gun owners came to pick a fight or war in Detroit.

I suggest you think before opening your mouth, as evidenced by the endless crap you cause for yourself and steady run ins with Law Enforcement. More and more you prove the point where this is smoke there is fire. If you are going to whine about this being some personal attack, save your breath as your comments are provoking serious stupidity. Anyone who thinks that acting like a Gang and confronting gangs is the best solution is in need of professional help.

How about leaving the fantasy world and get with reality, just for once, you might actually like reality.

For those of us who know about Gangs, confrontation like you speak of always ends in a mess, both in real terms and in Political reality. Or did you forget the Politicians hate gun owners more than gang bangers?

Yep. Too bad that the gun owners dont have the backbone to stand up to a street gang. How do you expect to get your rights back from the .gov if you can't even watch fireworks because of some street punks?

The irony in this, fireworks and all, is something.

Bailenforcer

Thanks for the common sense, this site seems to be lacking that on the part of some.

The Gang problem is a greater problem with the mentality of the majority of the Citizens of Detroit who bought the Coleman A Young Politics of hatred and have still not let go of that silliness.

You are 100% correct. If a few Gun owners really think some silly last stand will help the cause of gun rights, they have a serious reality check coming and it won't be pretty.

I lived at Mack and Connors during the 1967 riots, it was not any fun, and mind you people were not as armed as the drug gangs are today. Never bring a Glock to an AK-47 fight as one in here thinks is a good idea....

Detroit is an exceptionally well armed city. Coleman Young telling the KKK to come on in and do their march comes to mind. So too do the 43 and 67 police riots.

Any major gang related violence will not be something that a small gaggle of outsiders will have any business foolishly thinking they can inhibit or otherwise influence.

I've walked all over Detroit, sometimes through some of the worst areas, always with multiple guns. If you mind your own business, only look someone in the eye once, and cross to the other side of the street to give drug deals their room, no one will mind you just passing through. No one wants to die usually, so if you look dangerous yet indifferent to gang bangers, you'll not likely have problems.

But to all of a sudden think you'll come in and lay down the law? That's why their are untold thousands of unregistered LMG's and things in Detroit. It's a wonderful city with a lot of wonderful people, but it's not a city that intelligent outsiders will attempt to fix. So yes, I agree with bailenforecer. I'm definitely staying away.

Bailenforcer

I have pity on the few cops that will have to deal with this threat if it materializes as it appears to be the potential. These Idiots in RTM want a war to make headlines. This is what this is all about.

Seems to me this is a bad event for anyone to show up to. CPL holder/OCer or not.

Sheldon

Maybe this year more will stay home and light off their own now that we can legally buy and shoot here...

one of my 2manyhobbies is pyro and we just had a shoot this last Saturday in Mentone IN at PRA the airport. They know me as the guy with the gun on his hip, BOT it was so dry we had to pre burn off the field before the shoot so be careful out there. Fireworks are fun but do not set anything on fire due to the current drought!!!

stainless1911

Banned
Okay here's goes the clueless comments again.. I spent 39 years living and working the streets of Detroit, not hiding in a trailer park many miles away in Suburbia. First line of defense is not to pick a fight you know can't be won. Your silly assertion we should go in force shows your Political ignorance. If we did such there would be not only a invitation for the brain dead gang bangers who would love to die for their cause (stupidity) as we see daily in this country, but the Media and 90% of the Politicians would paint such an incident as proof they need to ban guns because dangerous gun owners came to pick a fight or war in Detroit.

I suggest you think before opening your mouth, as evidenced by the endless crap you cause for yourself and steady run ins with Law Enforcement. More and more you prove the point where this is smoke there is fire. If you are going to whine about this being some personal attack, save your breath as your comments are provoking serious stupidity. Anyone who thinks that acting like a Gang and confronting gangs is the best solution is in need of professional help.

How about leaving the fantasy world and get with reality, just for once, you might actually like reality.

For those of us who know about Gangs, confrontation like you speak of always ends in a mess, both in real terms and in Political reality. Or did you forget the Politicians hate gun owners more than gang bangers?

lol

Nothing else has worked, the gangs just keep getting stronger. Perhaps a new law might work. Or, you can continue to do the same thing and expect a different result? If so, Im not the one who needs help. Oh, maybe we could throw more money at the problem, yeah, that will fix it.

TheQ

lol

Nothing else has worked, the gangs just keep getting stronger. Perhaps a new law might work. Or, you can continue to do the same thing and expect a different result? If so, Im not the one who needs help. Oh, maybe we could throw more money at the problem, yeah, that will fix it.

Go join the Detroit 300 -- I'm sure they'd welcome you.

Superlite27

"The first step in avoiding a trap is knowing of its existence."

I agree. The keyword here is "avoiding". Although someone who inadvertently steps into a bear trap might be classified as a moron, the only thing that could be worse is someone who knows about it and steps into it anyway.

Good intentions and fantasies of noble heroism all go out the window when you look down and see the blood spouting out of the stump of your severed leg.

Personally, I've found the best way to avoid laying on the ground slowly bleeding out from gunshot wounds wondering if the cause I received them for was really worth it, is to avoid testing the hypothesis in the first place.

G22

My buddy & I usually go every year. But, we go on his boat and anchor outside the safety zone a bit up river. I think we'll just skip it this year.

We used to go to Heart Plaza until we were leaving one time and some jackass decided to loft a 40oz bottle into the crowd and hit my buddy in the head. 28 stitches. Oh then there was the person who thought it would be funny to put an M80 in the porta toilet with a long wick... The girl that came out deaf and covered in feces didn't appreciate that prank...

Thanks for the heads up sir.