Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ........Just Figured I'd Say: "Hey Y'all"....

Exclamation ........Just Figured I'd Say: "Hey Y'all"....

Some of y'all may be members of VaGT....for those that aren't I just want to introduce myself. I'm originally from Rockingham Co but moved to Augusta Co a few years ago with my wife and girls. I've been pulling triggers ever since I could hold a gun (and using sandbags prior to that ). I've been a member on a few forums and I know it's nice to hear about folks before they start posting so that's me in a nutshell.

Welcome!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Welcome to the site Trapper!
    I lived in Rockingham for 18 years and trapped and hunted the same hills you're in in Augusta.

Be prepared, lots of people North of Ashland here, very few hunters and including you and myself...two trappers/

Welcome.
    Nice little take there, I'm surprised there isn't a yote mixed in there.

Edit
    missed should have been mixed.....corrected...
    Last edited by Marco; 06-11-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Howdy!
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Founder's Club Member
    Greetings Blue Ridge Trapper! Happy to have you here.

Welcome to the site!
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Welcome. Have you been to www.vcdl.org? VCDL is the premiere gun owner rights organization in VA. Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 175
Size:  9.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Welcome. Have you been to www.vcdl.org? VCDL is the premiere gun owner rights organization in VA. Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 175
Size:  9.4 KB
    What Wolf_shadow means is - Join VCDL! (And if that's not what he meant, it should have been.)

And welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    Welcome.
    Nice little take there, I'm surprised there isn't a yote missed in there.

I catch quite a few but we have quite a few more fox than coyotes...you just hear people complain more about coyotes but the truth is that both need to be controlled because of disease. The second/third pictures is of a female coyote with severe mange....I did her a favor by dispatching her during this snowstorm because she would've froze to death soon after. Most people think of trapping as a way of preventing predation but in reality we can sustain healthy populations of species by managing them with trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    What Wolf_shadow means is - Join VCDL! (And if that's not what he meant, it should have been.)

And welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.
    Roger that!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeTrapper View Post
    the truth is that both need to be controlled because of disease. .
    Agreed.
    There are plenty of folks around here that fox hunt but haven't met many that hunt yotes, having lived out west for so long it's almost second nature for me to hunt them. Only seen one bobcat locally in two yrs of living here and the racoons they are too numerous to count, but I'm doing my part..
    Never tried my hand at trapping.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I'm surprised you're not snaring the Yotes.

I've had real good luck with them. I still like leghold for foxes.

I set snares for this one who looks like a hybrid, this morning. He's too close with the fawns being dropped now.

I just noticed your location....I was raised in Elkton. Are there ever any OC meets or dinners in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'm surprised you're not snaring the Yotes.

I've had real good luck with them. I still like leghold for foxes.

I set snares for this one who looks like a hybrid, this morning. He's too close with the fawns being dropped now.

Mr. Nap...with its long legs, short fur (too flat as well), and funny looking muzzle I'd have to say there's a mailman in that Ol' boy's lineage

Mr. Nap...with its long legs, short fur (too flat as well), and funny looking muzzle I'd have to say there's a mailman in that Ol' boy's lineage
    Yep!
    I get them in all shapes and sizes thanks to the dog hunters around here.

I just noticed your location....I was raised in Elkton. Are there ever any OC meets or dinners in this area?
    That was directed at you Agent 19.

Btw, I was born in Shenandoah.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That was directed at you Agent 19.

Btw, I was born in Shenandoah.
    I should've quoted Agent when I sent that...

No kidding? I was raised there until I was 4 then my parents moved to Elkton..small world (or state). You must be living in the Piedmont area if you're dealing with dog hunters very much. We have coon and bear hunters but it gets thick when you throw fox and deer dogs into the mix as well. I'm glad I don't have to deal with some of those fox hunters (notice I said some) because they're wolves in sheep's clothing.

I don't snare a bunch but I definitely use them when I get the chance. With the introduction of the DP traps my foothold arsenal can be suited for almost any occasion. I love the speed and ease of setting that comes along with the DP traps....

I should've quoted Agent when I sent that...

No kidding? I was raised there until I was 4 then my parents moved to Elkton..small world (or state). You must be living in the Piedmont area if you're dealing with dog hunters very much. We have coon and bear hunters but it gets thick when you throw fox and deer dogs into the mix as well. I'm glad I don't have to deal with some of those fox hunters (notice I said some) because they're wolves in sheep's clothing.

I don't snare a bunch but I definitely use them when I get the chance. With the introduction of the DP traps my foothold arsenal can be suited for almost any occasion. I love the speed and ease of setting that comes along with the DP traps....

The DP's are nice, I just don't have any. I've been using some of the same coil and long springs for 40 years and haven't added much lately. I make my snares and locks.

I'm down near the NC line and the dog hunters are a royal pain in the Azz.

Are you making/using a bent washer type lock? I'm using a slim locks and either 1/16 or 5/64 cable in 1x19....slicker than hammered catcrap on a frozen block of dogdung when loaded properly!

Are you making/using a bent washer type lock? I'm using a slim locks and either 1/16 or 5/64 cable in 1x19....slicker than hammered catcrap on a frozen block of dogdung when loaded properly!
    Bent washers.

now over on VAguntrader you mentioned a problem w/ Conibear/kill traps what am i missing difference wise between them and snares as i assume the snares are locking in and choking the varmit vs crushing it. i understand the difference if you are furtrapping but not for simple varmit/chicken killer removal.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

And welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.
    Dang I left that part out didn't I.

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    now over on VAguntrader you mentioned a problem w/ Conibear/kill traps what am i missing difference wise between them and snares as i assume the snares are locking in and choking the varmit vs crushing it. i understand the difference if you are furtrapping but not for simple varmit/chicken killer removal.
    I didn't see his post in VGT Joe, but with snares you can add a dog block that prevents the snare from tightening beyond a point. The Connibears don't have much wiggle room. Either they're not in them or they're dead.

A lot of us that were around in pre body gripping times used drowning locks on leg hold traps for beaver and muskrat.

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    If you notice my quote over there it includes reference to the laws. I want everyone to be within the realm of the law here in Va regarding any activity that I'm a part of on a regular basis. To use snares, conibears, or any traps here Va there are laws to abide by and it can get confusing when you start using conibears. We also don't want anyone's pet in a conibear as that is a no-win situation. Here's my quote from VaGT when conibears were brought up as a possible solution for the chicken owner. Of course he just wants a solution to his problem...but you don't want to go about it in a wreckless manner either.

" Unless you know what you're doing (regarding laws....ect) please stay away from conibear (killer) style traps."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast