• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking of applying for open carry permit

Ramon

Hi i'm new to the forums, I am currently thinking of applying for a open carry permit for my firearm. However on my 18 birthday i was arrested for a misdemeanor, i stole a pack of smokes from a grocery store. Yes it was a stupid thing to do and im ashamed of it, but that was long ago and im 35 years old now and much more mature.

My question is what are my chances i will get approved for my handgun permit? like i said i only have a misdemeanor and a few traffic violations and i'm not a felon.

I don't want to put all the time in hand gun classes pistol training and money up front for a permit just to be told NO! I have been studying up on the state and local laws and where i can and can not carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Ramon.

There is no separate or distinct permission required to OC. While Indiana is not a traditional (no permit required) open carry state, with an Indiana permit, open carry is legal.

Don't see that your earlier mistake will negatively impact getting your permit, but do not hide that fact.
(c) The officer to whom the application is made shall ascertain the applicant's name, full address, length of residence in the community, whether the applicant's residence is located within the limits of any city or town, the applicant's occupation, place of business or employment, criminal record, if any, and convictions (minor traffic offenses excepted),

(g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
(1) has been convicted of a felony;
(2) has had a license to carry a handgun suspended, unless the person's license has been reinstated;
(3) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
(4) is under twenty-three (23) years of age if the person has been adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult; or
(5) has been arrested for a Class A or Class B felony, or any other felony that was committed while armed with a deadly weapon or that involved the use of violence, if a court has found probable cause to believe that the person committed the offense charged.
In the case of an arrest under subdivision (5), a license to carry a handgun may be issued to a person who has been acquitted of the specific offense charged or if the charges for the specific offense are dismissed. The superintendent shall prescribe all forms to be used in connection with the administration of this chapter.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html