• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philosophical question regarding how we handle ourselves while OCing.

sudden valley gunner

OK, so we have figured out that starting civil and breaking off the "conversation" as quickly as possible is the right way to go and generally what most of us do when interacting with LEO.

How about private citizens? They are a whole other ball of wax... With civilians I have had both great encounters and horrible(where I had to call the police) I personally like to talk to people, so if a conversation comes up about me carrying, I'll usually stop what I'm doing if I can and talk. How about you guys? Just sticking to private citizens now.

I am pretty much the same way I found carrying has started many great conversations, many who consider themselves "anti" a few months ago I had a 40 min conversation with an "anti" at Starbucks, she said this would have happened if she didn't feel comfortable with me. I was able to ask her many questions from her viewpoint and counter many of her arguments with reason. (She was very anti-republican too, my ability not to be a fan of Republicans, helped too I think). At one time I felt like making a shirt that said "Go Ahead and Ask".

sudden valley gunner

Unless I initiated the conversation (making a report), as soon as any LEO breaks out a notepad and writing utensil, I find myself in defensive mode... not because I have done anything wrong, but because I have seen too many innocent people get railroaded and sent to jail simply based on the LEO's initial interview where supposedly that person was not a suspect and had not been Mirandized before the interview. So, even if you had been in a mood to talk that day.. probably best you didn't.

What irks me recently is how many LEO's (supported by DA's) push for a response to their questions citing failure to do so can be considered as and charged as interference with an on-going investigation.

Yea it usually is best if you don't volunteer any info to cops.

FIR's are also pushed by superiors. The whole system is corrupt. I believe proactive law enforcement from the government is unconstitutional.