• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to this forum, saying Hi

GlockMom

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am a mom of two, been OC'ing for about a month now. I tend to OC out shopping. I OC all the time when I am out running or walking with my kids.

I love my Glock its my third baby. Over all have had good experiences with OC'ing.

Bowesmobile

Welcome! OC'ing is not just "for the boys"! Great to hear you take personal protection seriously. I would love it if my wife would carry! That would give me some added peace of mind. Anyways, keep up the good work and let us know if you have any questions. One thing were not short of is information and opinions!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome from the female side of the membership!

Glad to see more and more of us open carrying.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bowesmobile
Welcome! OC'ing is not just "for the boys"! Great to hear you take personal protection seriously. I would love it if my wife would carry! That would give me some added peace of mind. Anyways, keep up the good work and let us know if you have any questions. One thing were not short of is information and opinions!

When the call is made and the chips are down, we will lay the facts on the table.

Women carrying is great. Women OCing is golden. Women OCing w/children goes platinum.

Tanner

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bowesmobile

When the call is made and the chips are down, we will lay the facts on the table.

Women carrying is great. Women OCing is golden. Women OCing w/children goes platinum.

I can personally attest to the amount of knowledge of the people on this site. What I ment by highlighting "opinions" was not to say that they are not uninformed but rather all but iron clad fact. This is one of those moments when you said something with a perfect understanding of what you ment but read it back and realize it sounds like something entirely different. OOPS. Sorry. I agree women carrying is great. As soon as we get back from our summer driving we are getting her a gun to OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you all, and Yeah I intend to join VCDL. I am a member of the NRA already. :D

The NRA is good and not to slight them, but their stance on OC is less than stellar.

VCDL on the other hand is the driving force behind VA gun rights and a grassroots organization that has served as a model for others around this country............and they won't constantly ding you for funds.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry I'm late - been busy trying to have a life.

Welcome to OCDO. Please try to make some of the meet&greet events in NOVA. Member Ed has set up a Sunday breakfast and a monthly dinner up there on the front lines.

I know you are the FNG of the moment here, but if you could get the Roanoke picnic on your schedule your presence with the kids would be a great contribution to the cause.

Mark your calendars! VCDL is having an "Oh, yes we can!" picnic at a Roanoke County Park on Saturday, July 14th! Big turnout requested.

HISTORY

Roanoke has an ordinance on their books that is so poorly written as to be almost impossible to understand, but could easily be misconstrued to ban firearms in the County's parks:

"15-8 (6) Hunting and firearms. ... No person shall within a park use, carry or possess firearms, ammunition or combinations thereof, as expressly prohibited by statute, or air rifles, spring guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, bow and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially dangerous to wildlife and to human safety or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges, or any kind of trapping device ..."

EM Ed Levine communicated on behalf of VCDL with the County to fix the wording, but the County Attorney dug in his heals claiming that the wording and intent was quite clear. Yep - clear as mud. The bottom line is that the County CANNOT prohibit otherwise lawful open or concealed carry in their parks.

BIRTH OF A PICNIC

What better way to get a clarification on that ordinance than for VCDL to hold a very large picnic in a Roanoke County park and let the police (and press) know we are doing so? The VCDL Board voted to hold and fund the picnic and you are invited! Thanks to Board member Al Steed Jr. for making the park arrangements.

PICNIC DETAILS

Where:

Green Hill Park, Roanoke County
2501 Parkside Drive
Salem, VA 24153
Shelter #2

Directions/Map: http://tinyurl.com/6rgs56m

When:

4 PM to 9 PM, Saturday, July 14, 2012

Please RSVP with number attending to Al Steed Jr. at:

al@vcdl.org

Food:

VCDL will providing the food. However, if you wish to bring a covered dish to share, we would be happy to have it! Let Al know if you are bringing something so he can keep track of what foods will be available.

stay safe.

GlockMom

Sorry I'm late - been busy trying to have a life.

Welcome to OCDO. Please try to make some of the meet&greet events in NOVA. Member Ed has set up a Sunday breakfast and a monthly dinner up there on the front lines.

I know you are the FNG of the moment here, but if you could get the Roanoke picnic on your schedule your presence with the kids would be a great contribution to the cause.

stay safe.

I appreciate the invite. I would love to show up with the kids, however, it is last minute for us, and my schedule does not permit us to attend.

Marco

I appreciate the invite. I would love to show up with the kids, however, it is last minute for us, and my schedule does not permit us to attend.

Welcome, as the parent of four I understand about scheduling. If a month advance notice is short notice then please mark your calendar now for:
Martin Luther King Day 2013, Monday, the 21st of January, read my signature line for more info....

GlockMom

Welcome, as the parent of four I understand about scheduling. If a month advance notice is short notice then please mark your calendar now for:
Martin Luther King Day 2013, Monday, the 21st of January, read my signature line for more info....

Its on my calendar. =)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Umm.:uhoh: Marco - Think you better check your sig line, 'cause it looks like it has run away from home.

GlockMom - The OC breakfasts are a weekly occurance so you can work up to one in your schedule. SAme for the monthly dinners. Sorry if that was not conveyed clearly.

stay safe.