• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HuntersAndShooters.com Domain

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
All,

As many of you might remember, back in 2005 - 2007 there was a false-flag organization called the American Hunters and Shooters Association. Lead by Bob Ricker and former Redskin player Ray Schoenke, they claimed that the NRA was not properly representing gun owners and called for more restrictions on guns while still protecting hunting. :(

Anyway, the organization quickly faded and their website went dark in 2010. At the time I didn't know they were gone for good and thought it would be a good idea to try and get their domain name if they allowed the registration to lapse. I placed an auction backorder with GoDaddy and promptly forgot about it.

Out of the blue, as of this week I am the owner of HuntersAndShooters.com.

In my zeal back in 2010, I placed a rather high bid and now I am not sure what to do with it. So ... I am considering offers from any interested party. Please feel free to share this with anyone you know who might be interested in acquiring the domain for a pro-gun organization or commercial venture. I am going to email the NRA and GOA as well in case they might be interested.

Bids start at $500. I know that is a lot for a domain name but that is roughly what I paid for the domain / auction broker service. :(

If you are interested, you may send your offers to me at john@opencarry.org

If you have any questions, post them here and I will answer them.

PS. If you are making an offer as a 501(c)(3) organization, let me know because I might consider a partial donation of the value of the domain depending upon the offers I receive.

Thanks.

John

dogsandhogs

I remember that bunch. They endorsed Obama, and his campaign used that as evidence that Obama was pro 2nd Amendment. I cannot do anything with the domain, but I offer my thanks and congratulations to you for being proactive. Best of luck with the sale.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. I have been thinking about what I could do with it if no one is interested. The important thing is that they are gone for good and that someone use it for pro-gun purposes. :)

John

I remember that bunch. They endorsed Obama, and his campaign used that as evidence that Obama was pro 2nd Amendment. I cannot do anything with the domain, but I offer my thanks and congratulations to you for being proactive. Best of luck with the sale.

Jack House

Thanks. I have been thinking about what I could do with it if no one is interested. The important thing is that they are gone for good and that someone use it for pro-gun purposes. :)

John
Might try doing some sort of hunting and target shooting news blog. It's what I'd do.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd temporarily give it a place-holding page with the history of the site and WHY its previous owners failed.

Any way to know if people still look for it every once in a while?

carracer

I'd temporarily give it a place-holding page with the history of the site and WHY its previous owners failed.

Any way to know if people still look for it every once in a while?

I like this. But, make it part of the index page and the rest of the site for the hunting and shooting sports as Jack mentioned. Links on here to there and there to here. Subcategories for rifle, shotgun and handgun hunting etc. Could go on for a long time thinking of fun stuff!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Given Google's recent announcement that their shopping site will no longer allow firearms, ammo, and related products, a friend approached me with a joint proposal for the domain and he talked me into it.

It is no longer for sale and you should expect to see great things from the site in the near future. ;)