• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh Yes We Can! - VCDL Picnic 7/14/12 4PM-9PM - Green Hill Park Salem, VA

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The wifester and I showed up a little late for the early festivities, but all seemed to be going smoothly when we arrived around 6 pm. We overshot the turnoff for the park and I noticed one Roanoke County Police vehicle up the road at a church, but otherwise noticed nothing at all regarding local law enforcement. Rain had started to fall moderately not long after we arrived so nearly everyone was tucked away under the shelter. All in all it seemed to be a successful outing, but I can defer to those who were there longer to establish a differing thought.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well how did it go??

Dan Casey & his son showed up. Folks made nice, as did he. There waas thunder and lightening, but it may have just been associated with the scattered showers encountered. Cooks and helpers doing their thing in a tropical monsoon downpour deserve a lot of admiration as well as thanks.

I'm going to let others fill in the details, as I stayed on the sidelines and observed/listened.

IIRC the RSVP count was 115 and I was told that the semi-official head count was 110.

We watched the paintball zombie hunters come out of the woods drenched to the bone. Roanoke County PD had one "observer" who parked way across the ballfield from us. He would have needed some sort of optic to see anything.

stay safe.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
391399_414837331899689_1182282752_n.jpg

487888_414837348566354_1178346511_n.jpg

487310_414837378566351_1845439177_n.jpg

523912_414837405233015_1144734843_n.jpg

255227_414837415233014_781913823_n.jpg

580755_414756071907815_1130030895_n.jpg

599563_414755318574557_1717715046_n.jpg

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Singularly impressed with the response to this! Great picnic, conversation and food! The Salem/Roanoke people ROCK!

Renewed many old friendships and made a ton of new ones. Was very pleased to see Dan Casey made the drive. By the way, I appreciate the public exposure he provides us via his day job - you can't buy that kind of advertising at better rates. :p

Sheriff

Excellent interviews Phillip and John!!!!!

After all the business was over and done, I hope the entire group came together long enough to sing the Oscar Meyer theme song. A picnic isn't a real picnic unless everybody sings this age old jingle.

Hotdogs, Armour hotdogs.

What kinds of kids eat Armour hot dogs?

Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks.

Tough kids, sissy kids

Even kids with chicken pox

Love hotdogs, Armour hot dogs

The dogs kids love to bite!

Marco

Murphy reared his ugly head yesterday and kept us for driving to Salem.

I had a meeting that didin't end until 1pm.
The battery died on our truck when we stopped at the rest stop just outside of C'ville to feed the baby, had a hard time finding someone to give us a jump.
After getting back on the rode we got a flat.
It was 3pm by the time we got back on the rode then it started raining...and we still had 2hrs of driving.
I had enough and just headed home...

Glad to see the large turn out. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The battery died on our truck when we stopped at the rest stop just outside of C'ville to feed the baby, had a hard time finding someone to give us a jump.
It was 3pm by the time we got back on the rode then it started raining...and we still had 2hrs of driving.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck Marco - hopefully you have used up your share for the year.

You were definitely missed.

MSC 45ACP

Sorry you had such a rough day, Marco. I've been a bit "under the weather" lately and wasn't able to make the trip. I'm really sorry I missed seeing everyone. Shannon really wanted to make the trip. I did, too. Grapeshot has certainly made an impression upon her as she mentions him whenever I talk about going to an OCDO event. She also enjoyed meeting Brooke in Richmond last Lobby Day. Perhaps they can go to Camp Perry and shoot in the High Power Rifle Matches together some day.

Mike

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I tried to put the wink icon after my posting, but I do not know how to had all those icons that everyone uses, I really was nice getting to meet you was just picking

Don't be upset by Ed's reply. Some think that he can be gruff, but he is really a warm and fuzzy pussycat. :p :lol:
Or follow with (not serious) or similar as in (sarcastic).

Seriously though, do you see 3 columns of emoticons (smileys) to the right of your reply box? If not which I suspect , then you will need to make a change in your "settings" as follows:

1 - At the very top right of the page click "Settings"

2 - Look on the left side of the new page and scroll down to see "My Settings"; then go down a bit further to "My Account" and click on "General settings"

3 - Way down near the bottom of this new page find "Miscellaneous Options" and under that "Message Editor Interface"
Make sure that you select/have chosen "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing"

4 - Activating that function will provide the selection of smileys - just click on one and it will be inserted where your type mark is located. You will have additional advanced functions too.

Your new advanced functions will enable you to post [highlight]more enhanced posts about the picnic[/highlight] present and future.

Enjoy.

Last edited: