• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are You People-friendly?

davestradamus

Hello, I am attempting to make my rig more sheeple :D friendly. I am wondering your thoughts on holsters and firearms that tend not to "alarm" the general(ly ignorant) public as much as others.

I just placed an order for a brown saddle leather OWB holster to OC my 5" polished nickel 1911. Its a big shiny gun with a big brown holster, but I think it will be less "scary" than say.... a Glock in some Kydex tactical holster. Plus I tend to dress a level above my usual tee shirt and jeans when I OC (unless camping, hiking etc). Cause I cannot stand creepy looking, or dirty/unkept people OCing. :uhoh: People tend to think these folks are unstable.

Do any of you take precautions to make a good impression for OC? Whats your rig look like?

Thanks!

David

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Not long after I moved to Virginia I switched from mostly using Kydex or basic nylon holsters in public to nice looking brown saddle leather holsters. On a rare occasion I still get out and about with either of the Kydex or nylon holsters depending on what I'm doing (such as going to the dump, running to the store in the middle of yard / vehicle work, etc.), but as a general rule my holsters are at least relatively pleasing to the eye. Although I really didn't have many issues when I carried using the black inexpensive holsters, I figured it certainly couldn't hurt to ensure that when people saw a sidearm on me, it was in a nice holster in a pleasant color, a color that doesn't tend to get linked with dark thoughts, evil things and shady business.

Although the change in holster look and type doesn't change one thing about the sidearm on my hip, if I can make a better impression when carrying in general, the sub-conscious effect of different materials and color choices may put a small number of people at ease who may otherwise perceive an OCer in a different, less positive way. Just about any person conscientious of sales tactics can tell you that packaging and presentation can greatly affect how people perceive an object or situation, so recognizing that I generally OC for the opportunity to educate (not to mention the potential deterrence factor) I prefer my packaging to the public be more pleasant to the eye. I certainly don't expect the same choices of others and would not request it, but I figure I'm aware of the differences in perception and don't mind making my own changes, so I go out and about in something at least relatively pleasant to behold.

Goingdef

yea I feel the same way about keeping it looking as friendly as possible, I carry a Galco Havana brown combat master holster with a matching mag pouch and a Galco cop series belt. It has to look friendly enough as the other day in starbucks a women approached me and asked me to explain to her daughter why I carried a weapon and tell her it was for everyone's safety! Although it didn't help any when the guy behind the counter looked at her with a scared expression and said no that's not why:shocker:(he's a friend of mine and the women found it hilarious as her kid took off like a rocket) but I still had to say that was NOT cool and could give the wrong person the WRONG impression:cuss:

Tanner

Hello, I am attempting to make my rig more sheeple :D friendly. I am wondering your thoughts on holsters and firearms that tend not to "alarm" the general(ly ignorant) public as much as others.

I just placed an order for a brown saddle leather OWB holster to OC my 5" polished nickel 1911. Its a big shiny gun with a big brown holster, but I think it will be less "scary" than say.... a Glock in some Kydex tactical holster. Plus I tend to dress a level above my usual tee shirt and jeans when I OC (unless camping, hiking etc). Cause I cannot stand creepy looking, or dirty/unkept people OCing. :uhoh: People tend to think these folks are unstable.

Do any of you take precautions to make a good impression for OC? Whats your rig look like?

Thanks!

David

Ill be sure to shave and tuck in my shirt while your around. I thinks attidued is where there is the biggest impact and is what will change someone mind about a OC'er. Not a shiny gun or a bright brown holster.

Last edited:

davestradamus

Ill be sure to shave and tuck in my shirt while your around. I thinks attidued is where there is the biggest impact and is what will change someone mind about a OC'er. Not a shiny gun or a bright brown holster.

Do what you want. I was simply stating what I do. As I am sure you know, people can get uneasy around OCers and tactical gear may or may not change how people perceive you. Generally, people make certain assumptions about others when encountering them for the first time based on their appearance. Consciously or not. I like to be a good example of a gun owner and OCer. But then again, I like to represent myself well also.

David

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I really don't care what anybody thinks about how pretty or how ugly or how scary my holster is, or any of the other batbelt accoutrements too for that matter. I care about the holster doing the job I want it to do - hold my handgun securely until the moment I want it out of the holster and in my hand. And at that moment I want my holster to let me get my handgun out quickly, easily, and safely.

Like Tanner, I gave up worrying about competing in beauty contests. But I do have a BBQ gun.:D

stay safe.

007boarder

Not because I open carry, but I have always been clean cut. Button ups, vest, tie, usually with jeans. I know, odd, but that's my preference. :lol: my holster and mag pouch is custom carbon fiber created by Elite Ammunition.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

I really don't care what anybody thinks about how pretty or how ugly or how scary my holster is, or any of the other batbelt accoutrements too for that matter. I care about the holster doing the job I want it to do - hold my handgun securely until the moment I want it out of the holster and in my hand. And at that moment I want my holster to let me get my handgun out quickly, easily, and safely.

Like Tanner, I gave up worrying about competing in beauty contests. But I do have a BBQ gun.:D

stay safe.

lol!

vt800c

you got me thinking...

I got a small chrome .32 SNS in a black belt holster. But it has velcro on the sides to attach the 'tie-down' to. I think maybe I'l get a nice embroidered 'hello kitty' or 'happy face' patch, attach it to some velcro and carry it on my holster. Maybe then sheeple will like me.

davestradamus

I got a small chrome .32 SNS in a black belt holster. But it has velcro on the sides to attach the 'tie-down' to. I think maybe I'l get a nice embroidered 'hello kitty' or 'happy face' patch, attach it to some velcro and carry it on my holster. Maybe then sheeple will like me.

That is awesome! :lol:

007boarder

We could match...
Holster_and_Kitty_slide.JPG

:)

MagiK_SacK

I'm with skid, and tanner on this one. So long as holster does what I need it to do that is all that matters to me. There is no 'dress code' or what holster to use/not use. Sure there are things that may be frowned upon by the majority *caugh/drop leg holster/caugh*. All that matters is that you can safely carry your firearm and access it when it's needed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I've been OCing for a little over 5 years.

Based on reactions to OC, I would say that anybody who flinches at the sight of a black pistol in a black tactical holster is gonna flinch at a pretty gun in a brown leather holster. Which is just another way of saying its the gun, not the holster. If they flinch at Glock/Kydex, they're gonna flinch at stainless and brown.

Do, however, remember that a gentleman never wears brown leather after 6pm. If you are going to use leather, you will need a black leather holster for evening attire. :)

Last edited:

Tanner

Based on reactions to OC, I would say that anybody who flinches at the sight of a black pistol in a black tactical holster is gonna flinch at a pretty gun in a brown leather holster. Which is just another way of saying its the gun, not the holster. If they flinch at Glock/Kydex, they're gonna flinch at stainless and brown.

Do, however, remember that a gentleman never wears brown leather after 6pm. If you are going to use leather, you will need a black leather holster for evening attire. :)

This is exactly what I wanted to say but couldent really think of how to word it. I have not been OCing very long but it still would have been my opinion. Glad to hear im not far off.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

You're spot on about those who will wince, but like anything else, more reasonable people take note of how people present themselves and there's nothing wrong with wearing nice lookin' gear. I can't say I agree on the need for the need for evening wear holster for myself, but hey do what you like. If I couldn't wear my tan leather holsters after 6 I'd rarely get to wear them. :)