• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not Again! Another 'Stand the Ground' confrontation

markush

Here we go again. [/url]

The incident involving Rodriguez happened two years before (Trayvon) Martin’s death and will be decided under a different kind of self-defense doctrine. But it offers another example of how laws governing deadly force are tested in the nation’s courtrooms and the many complex legal issues that swirl around each case.
This case is old but hasn't run it's course yet.

Last edited:

apjonas

Good Point, I Will Add..

You've been a member here long enough to know how to find this out.

Everybody here (and those who write about such topics) should understand that
the Castle Doctrine ≠ Stand Your Ground ≠ Self Defense. Rather CD ⊂ SYG ⊂ SD.

≠ - does not equal
⊂ - is a subset of

ManInBlack

OLD

And, if you watch the video Rodriguez made of himself confronting and then shooting the victim, there isn't even close to the same reasonable doubt we see in the Martin/Zimmermann affair. It seems pretty damn clear-cut to me that he will be convicted

Law abider

From the article you linked:

Yep, missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Please do have patience with me if I demonstrate massive ignorance on what I should know by now regarding laws from other states. I am first trying to become proficient on ours, unlike many of you who have spent massive ammounts of time on this issue and are experts. That's why I am on this blog: to get your inputs. If I still question, I'll get Glenn Grothman to help me contact the DOJ, like he did last time or I'll go on their site.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Yep, missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Please do have patience with me if I demonstrate massive ignorance on what I should know by now regarding laws from other states. I am first trying to become proficient on ours, unlike many of you who have spent massive amounts of time on this issue and are experts. That's why I am on this blog: to get your inputs. If I still question, I'll get Glenn Grothman to help me contact the DOJ, like he did last time or I'll go on their site.

Hey! I resemble that remark. :) I was very ignorant of the laws until I discovered this forum and was pushed and shoved from all directions by great people.

I've been here for a few years and I am still learning about the laws of Wisconsin.

Keep asking your questions and please...ALWAYS LOOK UP THE ANSWER(S) YOURSELF! We should provide answers about the law(s) with links or cites so you can verify what is posted is factual. The laws change and sometimes change several times in a short period of time. What was once the answer may not be the answer the day you ask your question.

Hope you can make it to some open carry picnics and other get togethers this summer.