• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What about OC rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uRabbit

I prefer rifles. I see a lot of reasons to prefer a sidearm (higher capacity, closer to body, etc.). However, I'll stick with my $200 .22 LR for now, until my income level goes up a bit. ;) That, and I am pretty deadly accurate with this puppy (thank you, U.S. Army!).

So, questions:
- Can I open carry so long as it is in view and fixed to my person?
- Can it be loaded?
- Can I have it loaded? If not, I assume a loaded magazine not loaded is okay?
- How can I find out which businesses will allow my OC? (I know a lot of you pistol owners OC while shopping.)

Also, I know this is a strange topic. You don't normally see people OC a rifle, much less a .22. Haha! I don't plan to OC much. There is, however, one part of the area (Kent, WA) we grocery shop (WinCo) that is a bit on the ucky side, if you know what I mean. I would think, however, that a rifle would incite more fear than a sidearm would. I will have to think whether or not it is worth the trouble to do so.

twoskinsonemanns

I prefer rifles. I see a lot of reasons to prefer a sidearm (higher capacity, ........

My friend, dubbed vladimir, might disagree with this assumption :D

Sorry I don't have anything useful to add about your local laws

vladimier.jpg

Last edited:

Thor80

Well, I might as well be the first to post the rules here.....

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Talk all you want about OC'ing a .22LR pistol, ie Sig Sauer Mosquito/Walther P22 etc.... But Mods will nail you for discussing carrying a .22LR Rifle, ie Ruger 10/22 etc...

That said, you can OC a long gun on foot if you want, but if you enter a vehicle it cannot be loaded per WDFW laws. I cannot find the exact law, but it is in WDFW website FAQs....

-Thor

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Of course, you read the forum rules when you signed up, right?

Just in case you forgot:

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Levi

You can legally open carry a rifle in the state of Washington. However, I would seriously research brandishing laws before I just start hauling a long gun around. Understand that the manner in which you carry is more important legally than what you carry. Maybe a shoulder slung scabbard across the back?

Also, there are pistols in that price range. You'd attract a lot less negative attention IRL and on this forum switching to a hand gun.

twoskinsonemanns

Hey uRabbit. Don't be chased off by the rule police. Please hang out and read many many threads on OCing. A handgun is definitely the way to go. I might even suggest selling that 22 (or saving up) for a cheap handgun. It's true this forum is not the place for non-handguns but the people here support your OCing zeal.

Try looking at some models online. I hear the KEL TEC P3AT is a fine handgun.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard uRabbit. We do have a rule against discussing long gun OC (for a number of reasons) but I hope you stick around and discuss open carry in Washington with your fellow Washingtonians. :)

I am going to lock this thread now.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.