• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana First State to Allow Citizens to Shoot Law Enforcement Officers

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Saw this article in passing this morning and thought it was interesting enough for posting. Admittedly, I have not perused the various forums here to see if someone else had posted the link. Also, I have no dog in this hunt so I will not voice an opinion. And lastly, I checked the site rules and found nothing that would prevent my posting of something like this. (so much for disclaimers, eh?)

http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/V...zens_to_Shoot_Law_Enforcement_Officers_120611

porterhouse83

Good. More states need to follow now. Cops are to serve us and they need to know their place in the system. Too many unlawful entries into peoples homes and vehicles by LEO.

DWCook

Activist Member
I am not sure what to say on this! I'm not against it nor for it, I'm stuck in the middle on this. I will just state simply that even if you are a Law Enforcement Official, this does not make you immune to the laws. But personally in my opinion, you better have a damn good reason for shooting a police officer if you some how felt your life was at stake if that officer was actually doing something to threaten your life.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

s. But personally in my opinion, you better have a damn good reason for shooting a police officer if you some how felt your life was at stake if that officer was actually doing something to threaten your life.
Threatening life is a damn good reason to shoot, particularly under Common Law.

ncwabbit

guess i was more upset a good portion of the articles i read were about and blamed the NRA for passage of this statuate...last time i checked, the state's assembly passed the bill and governor signed it...

Bad NRA Bad...go sit in the corner and think about what you have done to the poor folk of IN

wabbit

ps might reserve judgement and check out the washington section where the bloke was dragged from his home by the spokane swat team and then decide if IN's statuate is unwarranted!!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Cops have no "right" to attempt to kidnap a person under the ruse of arresting them if the arrest itself is legally defective. An individual has the right to resist a violent felony with force sufficient to stop the crime, and that includes the use of force up to and including deadly force.

Case law has many variations of that conclusion. Most of them stem from Common Law concepts. Indiana was placed in the unfortunate position of having to legislate out of the hole their supreme court threw them into.

But the law does not "allow citizens to shoot law enforcement officers" regardless of how much some folks would like to characterize the law. It codifies what used to be Common Law dictate regarding self defense. It has the collateral efect of putting cops on notice that they had better have all their ducks in a row before pulling a home invasion.

stay safe.

OC for ME

What this really means is that if you shoot a cop and that cop is later proven, in a court of law, to have violated a law during the course of you shooting him, you now have a law that could keep you out of jail.....just like the cops when they gun down, in cold blood, a innocent citizen. That is what these cops are worried about.....parity, or reaching parity.

The citizen having a increased probability of being found 'justified'.

But, your life will cease to exist as you know it if you are exonerated. The cops will place you at the top of their sh%t list in perpetuity.

A win for liberty.

Disclaimer: This is predicated on the fact that you survive the 'encounter' in any reasonable facsimile of good health.

Jack House

I like one of the comments I read on that law, it went something like "If an officer illegally invades a home, they are no longer a police officer but a criminal."

Freedom First

Disclaimer: This is predicated on the fact that you survive the 'encounter' in any reasonable facsimile of good health.

Exactly. And fat chance of that result on the day they drag one of their brothers out of your home toes up. I just think of the 5.56 storm that marine encountered for just picking up his AR when Johnny Law was busy kicking down his front door. LINK Hit around 60 times and died in front of his family. You will be completely devoid of life because the paperwork will be easier.

When the time comes to resist Johnny Law and his bunch, you will have to be willing to lay your life down because there will be no "test cases" on this sort of law. Just dead Americans.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

This is great news!

For all the officers out there complaining about this, I guess its time to do actual police work. This law will put in check those officers who believe they are above the law and think they can cover their asses because of a badge.

A crime is a crime. Badge or not. The consequences should be worse for cops breaking the law. And, if they enter a residence unlawfully, they now know they could pay the ultimate price for their crime.

DWCook

Activist Member
I agree with this new law, but this is something new to me honestly. I am for this, but I have not had a situation like this and can't even think when it will happen.

DCKilla

It's not like you have a choice in the matter. You either defend against a threat or let your family become victims. The latter is unacceptible. God help me and the officer if it comes down to that. This is so screwd up. I know the answer, but why? Why must we have such discussions? Why can't law enforcement see what's happening?

lysander6

Exactly. And fat chance of that result on the day they drag one of their brothers out of your home toes up. I just think of the 5.56 storm that marine encountered for just picking up his AR when Johnny Law was busy kicking down his front door. LINK Hit around 60 times and died in front of his family. You will be completely devoid of life because the paperwork will be easier.

When the time comes to resist Johnny Law and his bunch, you will have to be willing to lay your life down because there will be no "test cases" on this sort of law. Just dead Americans.

I went to Guerena's memorial service in Tucson at his house and his body was hit in the periphery about 22+ times with nearly 71 rounds expended by the murderous SWAT team while his wife and toddler were in the house. It took G an hour and a half to die b/c the thugs refused to permit paramedics into an "unsecure" house. Obviously, if the SWAT team had been accurate he would have died sooner. They were most likely in a situation they weren't acquainted with from their usual cold-blooded homicides draped in officer safety. There were rounds as high as 12 feet and a half dozen in the neighbor's house. It appeared that G was less than 20 feet from the front door of HIS house when he was gunned down by the clown posse.

All SWAT officers were exonerated, of course: https://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.com/category/jose-guerena-case/ It is rare when the thin black and blue line is held to account and if the widow's lawsuit wins, the cops don't pay but the city residents will through increased taxes.

In particular, read McDaniel's 5.2 update (best coverage of the case). It appears that the SWAT team did not even conduct on-site surveillance prior to the potential arrest of this "dangerous cartel gunman".

This can happen to anyone on this board.

Last edited:

lysander6

If you really want to stop police abuse, end the entire drug war immediately. Then we would not be burning up the billions in treasure and legions of bloodshed and abuse and creating the police state we live in now.

MamabearCali

You know for all the nightmares the drug wars have caused I am all for at least reducing dramatically the war non drugs. Lets say to the level of take it when we find it, offer rehab, and if you commit a crime while on drugs you get an enhanced sentence. Sounds good to me.