• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry is illegal at a polling place according to State Board of Elections?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That worked out great for me when Ken was my State Senator and I wanted an opinion on OC in state parks. He seemed more than happy to request the AG at the time (Bob) for such an opinion. However, I feel that my current representatives, Marsden (Senate) and Filler-Corn (House), would be less accommodating. Who here has a good representative who would be willing to request a official opinion from the AG?

I'll contact a couple tomorrow and see if they'll request one.

MamabearCali

How in this world is a polling place a "private area" that is just utter nonsense. Besides if it were a "private area" how could the state of Virginia have a "public" state wide policy to disallow armed citizens to vote. GRRRR!

Uber_Olafsun

How in this world is a polling place a "private area" that is just utter nonsense. Besides if it were a "private area" how could the state of Virginia have a "public" state wide policy to disallow armed citizens to vote. GRRRR!

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I heard it. So I your polling place was a library it is now private property?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was thinking the same thing as soon as I heard it. So I your polling place was a library it is now private property?

This is probably going to get interesting since the AG's office would be the one to advise them it was legal to ban weapons.

riverrat10k

Getting ready to go vote and then head to the office. Unfortunately, my polling place is a school at a church. I ain't takin' no chances.

After listening to the the sbe rep's phone call to Ed, he clearly states that "there is a policy". Policy has no force of law and my opinion is that the SBE could be sued under federa statue if you were denied your right to vote due to a "policy."

Vote out all incumbents, regardless of party.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Getting ready to go vote and then head to the office. Unfortunately, my polling place is a school at a church. I ain't takin' no chances.

After listening to the the sbe rep's phone call to Ed, he clearly states that "there is a policy". Policy has no force of law and my opinion is that the SBE could be sued under federa statue if you were denied your right to vote due to a "policy."

Vote out all incumbents, regardless of party.

I just FOIA'ed the policy and the source of the legal advice used in creating it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's assuming that they got any legal consultation before enacting the policy.

We'll see what they say.

Please provide a copy of the following:

1. A copy of the Official State Board of Elections Policy restricting the possession of firearms at polling places.

2. The source of your legal advice used in creating the policy (Example: Virginia Attorney General's Office, Assistant A.G. XXXX).

3. A copy of any memo or email concerning the opinion requested in item 2.

Notify me at this email address of any charges due.

I prefer digitized copies emailed to me at this address.

Thank You

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Exercising a legal right, lawfully, does not constitute intimidation. And our rights override peoples annoyance.

riverrat10k

Well, I voted.

When they asked for my ID, I asked if it was required in Virginia. I was told "yes."

I then asked the poll workers if they were aware that a Project Veritas operative was offered a provisional ballot under the name of Eric J. Holder earlier this year. None of them had heard of the event.

http://hotair.com/greenroom/archive...der-ballot-video-as-manufactured-voter-fraud/

Not quite as damning a video as one might think when all the facts are laid out, but seriously, they asked for my ID, said it was required, but this is obviously not the case. I should have said I did not have ID and filed a provisional ballot, but I needed to get to work.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Although the State Board of Elections acts in an overseer capacity, it's local governments that have local boards and registrars, and I'm guessing that puts the matter under 15.2-915. And since the voter intimidation statute has no explicit reference to firearms, implementation of that policy would be illegal. I'd have to do more research to be sure, but that's what I'm thinkin'.

Fallschirjmäger

So, um..... Why wouldn't the open carry of firearms by police officers be considered intimidation?
We have it on record from at least one Police Chief that it is.
Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank, "...But open-carry is different. For example, a law enforcement officer openly carries a weapon for its “intimidation factor. In law enforcement, that’s the message you send.”
Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2012/02/26/...n-to-intimidate-fearful-public/#ixzz1xbdkcaW1

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
sign.jpg