Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcyle OC

Motorcyle OC

This past weekend was awesome for weather. So I warmed the sport bike up and took a nice ride down by lake Michigan. I usually CC, as my jacket keeps my shirt down, but not this weekend. HOT, so no jacket! So I tucked my shirt behind my glock and enjoyed a blissful ride.

I went past the summerfest grounds, as I didn't know if anything was going on down there. It was pridefest!! But that's ok, I just rode on by. That had like 15 cops around the outside gates, a couple of them waved. Good 'ole Milwaukee PD. Same time a year ago, I would have been a little more worried, but not now.

2 hours of riding around the lake and downtown Milwaukee. I CC 90% of the time, but that 0% OC is when I'm on the motorcycle. Not that CC is uncomfortable when on the cycle, I just figure why not. I don't have to worry about people asking stupid questions or worry about gun grabbers/etc.

It's nice to have options here in WI.

McX
    floating between OC and CC mostly. CC when i have to wear a jacket, or if it's cold and i am riding the motorcycle, otherwise i let it hang out, so to speak. added a nifty option to my bike they didnt offer at the factory: a collapsible baton, mounted to the handlebars. A nice alternative to just a gun, may come in handy for shooing dogs away, or anything else that needs shooing away. carry on, carry often, carry out.
    Last edited by McX; 06-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.

How do you carry while riding? What are your plans if you have to lay the bike down with a sidearm strapped to your torso?
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    How do you carry while riding? What are your plans if you have to lay the bike down with a sidearm strapped to your torso?
    I open carry on my hip while riding. I use a holster with a thumb break for now. If I ever lay my bike down, the least of my concerns will be the well-being of my gun. Should I survive, I'll look at repairing or replacing it then.
    Last edited by NoTolerance; 06-12-2012 at 12:47 PM.

I also OC when riding my bike, hip holster. How do you carry while driving and what are your plans if you crash? What happens if your incapacitated?
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

I think the question is, why shouldn't they? Questions of the type you asked could be asked of anyone. What happens if you're walking and have a heart attack and what would your plans be?

I carry concealed IWB mostly, sometimes OWB. My plans are to balance on my strong side and have the asphalt grind away at the pistol instead of my ass cheek. Beyond that, not much.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTolerance View Post
    If I ever lay my bike down, the least of my concerns will be the well-being of my gun.
    Thanks for missing the point completely.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    I also OC when riding my bike, hip holster. How do you carry while driving and what are your plans if you crash? What happens if your incapacitated?
    Bully for you Sir. Your question is irrelevant to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk001 View Post
    I think the question is, why shouldn't they? Questions of the type you asked could be asked of anyone. What happens if you're walking and have a heart attack and what would your plans be?
    Who said they shouldn't? BS. The question I posed would not even be thought of by a non or inexperienced rider. Because they don't think about laying a bike down. Don't know how to do it. Or why one would do it. But thanks for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    I carry concealed IWB mostly, sometimes OWB. My plans are to balance on my strong side and have the asphalt grind away at the pistol instead of my ass cheek. Beyond that, not much.
    At least you actually get it. As always. Thank you Sir.

My point. Will the sidearm exacerbate or cause injuries as you grind on down the road? If the sidearm is attached to your waist or in the back vs across the chest or in a shoulder holster? Or in a tank bag or side bag or strapped to the bike itself?
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Bully for you Sir. Your question is irrelevant to the thread.

At least you actually get it. As always. Thank you Sir.

My point. Will the sidearm exacerbate or cause injuries as you grind on down the road? If the sidearm is attached to your waist or in the back vs across the chest or in a shoulder holster? Or in a tank bag or side bag or strapped to the bike itself?
    Perhaps if you actually made a point it would have been easier to get Your mildy hostile response was unnecessary.

I was asking a more serious question as to what would happen to a sidearm if such a occurred. Even though no crime (at least involving the firearm occurred) would it be confiscated? What would be necessary to get it back? That was what I thought you were getting at.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1; 06-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    Perhaps if you actually made a point it would have been easier to get
    A direct question is no longer good enough?

Your mildy hostile response was unnecessary.
    Succinct and hostile are two different things. I was in a hurry.

I was asking a more serious question as to what would happen to a sidearm if such a occurred. Even though no crime (at least involving the firearm occurred) would it be confiscated? What would be necessary to get it back? That was what I thought you were getting at.
    Good questions.

Cheers!

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 06-12-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by NoTolerance
    I open carry on my hip while riding. ... If I ever lay my bike down, the least of my concerns will be the well-being of my gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet
    Thanks for missing the point completely.
    Will the sidearm exacerbate or cause injuries as you grind on down the road?
    That was my first thought. If I crash, I wouldn't care a bit about the pistol other than how much damage it might do to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HH
    The question I posed would not even be thought of by a non or inexperienced rider.
    Because they don't think about laying a bike down.
    Don't know how to do it. Or why one would do it.
    People crash because they can't control their vehicle.
    "Laying it down" is crashing on purpose.
    Learning to think & look ahead to avoid problems, knowing the limits of your machine w/r/t braking, lean angle, etc., will go a long way toward preventing crashes.

Sliding along asphalt will take a lot longer to stop, & be a bleep of a lot more painful, than keeping the bike upright & using maximum braking... not to mention the cost of repairs to rider & machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1
    I was asking a more serious question as to what would happen to a sidearm if such a occurred. Even though no crime (at least involving the firearm occurred) would it be confiscated? What would be necessary to get it back?
    In Milwaukee, it'd probably be necessary to petition the court to order MPD to return your property, then go back in a couple months because they didn't do as the court ordered.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    If I crash, I wouldn't care a bit about the pistol other than how much damage it might do to me.
    Exactly.

People crash because they can't control their vehicle.
    People crash because if you are on two wheels you will eventually fall down. A single rock that makes the back end squirt out from under you in a turn? Saw it happen in front of me. Rider error? I guess we could have hand swept our route prior to the ride... Laying it down means both where I come from if it matters.

Learning to think & look ahead to avoid problems...
    And yet it happens all the time. That's why we have ATGATT. That's why I asked.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Owb holster on hip. Maybe it'll help keep the pavement off my skin. Frame slider like. I don't worry about it. Same as keeping keys or cell phone in pocket right? Same thing.

So I guess it's about odds... Odds you'll need it to protect your life vs. odds you'll go down and crack your hip on it.

I don't want either to happen. But I do know I'd want it with me if I need it for protection more than I'd not want it with me when I land on it.... If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    Same as keeping keys or cell phone in pocket right? Same thing.
    I don't ride with a cell phone or keys in any pockets. I don't want anything creating more damage than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post

But I do know I'd want it with me if I need it for protection more than I'd not want it with me when I land on it.... If that makes sense.
    I never said anything about not carrying just to be crystal clear.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Nope you didn't. Just expressing that I recognize the risk and my rational for accepting the same.

Sounds like maybe your trying to get him to rethink his means of carry to prevent injury. Motorcycles in general are dangerous and I'm pretty sure 90% of cyclists have accepted the fact that if they crash its not going to be good. How about "thanks for carrying and supporting our rights."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This thread is on its way to morphing into a "I'm a REAL BIKER; You're just a RIDER" debate....

My focus is not on my gun while riding. I appreciate your point that it's one more thing that could potentially cause additional damage to me, but it's an assumed, calculated risk. If I were to continue with that line of reasoning, then I should also wear a helmet, a heavy leather jacket, body armor, thick gloves, multi-layered armored pants, boots, a neck brace, and a mouth guard every time I ride. I should probably add two more wheels to my bike for balance and maybe add a reinforced frame around it, too. Then I could add seatbelts, airbags, and OnStar, too.

Facetiousness aside, if I'm ever in a situation where I need to lay down my bike - intentionally or not - I can almost guarantee beyond any shadow of doubt that in the split second I have to react, my gun is not going to enter my thought process, let alone how I "plan" to land on or avoid landing on it. If you're capable of of taking every single variable into consideration within that time, kudos to you. I'll keep focusing on riding rather than falling.

McX
    This thread is on its way to morphing into a "I'm a REAL BIKER; You're just a RIDER" debate....

My focus is not on my gun while riding. I appreciate your point that it's one more thing that could potentially cause additional damage to me, but it's an assumed, calculated risk. If I were to continue with that line of reasoning, then I should also wear a helmet, a heavy leather jacket, body armor, thick gloves, multi-layered armored pants, boots, a neck brace, and a mouth guard every time I ride. I should probably add two more wheels to my bike for balance and maybe add a reinforced frame around it, too. Then I could add seatbelts, airbags, and OnStar, too.

Facetiousness aside, if I'm ever in a situation where I need to lay down my bike - intentionally or not - I can almost guarantee beyond any shadow of doubt that in the split second I have to react, my gun is not going to enter my thought process, let alone how I "plan" to land on or avoid landing on it. If you're capable of of taking every single variable into consideration within that time, kudos to you. I'll keep focusing on riding rather than falling.
    you gotta get a thicker skin! go with what you think, you feel. He Who Rides Decides, not the peanut gallery.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    He Who Rides Decides, not the peanut gallery.
    Barbara Streisand! "Another motorcyclist has died a week after a man drove his car into a group of a dozen motorcyclists..." He who drives decides.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wiscons...157880785.html

Quote Originally Posted by fadepoint89 View Post
    Sounds like maybe your trying to get him to rethink his means of carry to prevent injury. Motorcycles in general are dangerous and I'm pretty sure 90% of cyclists have accepted the fact that if they crash its not going to be good. How about "thanks for carrying and supporting our rights."
    Sounds like maybe I'm rethinking my means of carry to prevent injury. I have no illusions I can get anyone to think. Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive. I'm pretty sure a good percentage of motorcyclists take the time to learn about riding, and take the precautions to walk away from a crash. Hence ATGATT and my inquiry. Ever watch a motorcycle race? How about "thanks for riding and supporting our rights'?

If I were to continue with that line of reasoning, then I should also wear a helmet, a heavy leather jacket, body armor, thick gloves, multi-layered armored pants...
    Ever see a motorcycle race?

Facetiousness aside... let alone how I "plan" to land on or avoid landing on it. If you're capable of of taking every single variable into consideration within that time, kudos to you. I'll keep focusing on riding rather than falling.
    Yet the sidearm is a factor you are in control of, Trip was joking about how he was going to fall, and learning how to fall will help guarantee if you walk away or not.

Anyone consider a shoulder holster?
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 06-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

how do police plan to lay down their Motorcycle with a side arm on ?

Anyone consider a shoulder holster?
    I have and actually own one. I also own a thigh rig. I don't really use either for pretty much identical reasons.

You haven't really offered your opinion on the "proper" way to carry on a bike yet. I'd like to learn how you would carry and how you feel that would be more advantageous in the event of an accident. You also haven't provided any evidence, anecdotal or factual, as to why one method would be "preferred" over another. What are the drawbacks to carrying OWB? IWB? 3 o'clock vs 6 o'clock, etc.? Should a carrying rider attempt to "slide" on his sidearm or avoid doing that if possible?

You're posing questions (presumably) in an effort to promote thought on the subject, yet offering nothing in return so far. And you've obviously put a lot of thought into this.

I'm not new to riding, but I am relatively new to carrying. You now have an opportunity to share your wisdom and experience with a "newbie", so teach me. How does "HandyHamlet" carry while riding and why?

Who said they shouldn't? BS. The question I posed would not even be thought of by a non or inexperienced rider. Because they don't think about laying a bike down. Don't know how to do it. Or why one would do it. But thanks for playing!
    Who said you did say it? You didn't even play and still lost.

And don't get snide when you think laying a bike down is the same as an accident. For most people I know they are two different things. It's the fault of the person writing when people don't understand what is being said or asked because we can't read what it is you are thinking.

As for what I did with my weapon when I crashed, I don't even remember the exact crash, so I'm sure that I didn't care about the weapon at the time. All I know is I was going down a dirt road, hit some washboard, told myself to slow down, and then told myself to get up off the ground and from under the bike. The LEO took my weapon which was CC under the arm at the time, and then I got it back as I left the ER six hours later with my broken ribs, concusion, road rash, and vertigo that lasted all that summer, after a friend came and picked me up. They even used superglue to close the cuts on my head. But, at least I walked/stumbled away from the bike before the ambulance came and the vertigo kicked in, unlike one of my friends who was hit a couple of weeks ago and is just one or two steps above a veg.

As others have said, riding is of course dangerous, because of cagers and other bikers who are doing stupid things if nothing else. My town of 50k is a good example. Less than 96 hours, three accidents involving bikes, one death. All the cause of cagers in those cases. Last year wasn't too good either. Not much you can do though when someone just plain old runs you over and I'm sure thinking of the weapon in that case doesn't mean jack.

I have and actually own one. I also own a thigh rig. I don't really use either for pretty much identical reasons.

You haven't really offered your opinion on the "proper" way to carry on a bike yet. I'd like to learn how you would carry and how you feel that would be more advantageous in the event of an accident. You also haven't provided any evidence, anecdotal or factual, as to why one method would be "preferred" over another. What are the drawbacks to carrying OWB? IWB? 3 o'clock vs 6 o'clock, etc.? Should a carrying rider attempt to "slide" on his sidearm or avoid doing that if possible?

You're posing questions (presumably) in an effort to promote thought on the subject, yet offering nothing in return so far. And you've obviously put a lot of thought into this.

I'm not new to riding, but I am relatively new to carrying. You now have an opportunity to share your wisdom and experience with a "newbie", so teach me. How does "HandyHamlet" carry while riding and why?
    I look at it this way. You ride with one how you are most comfortable without the weapon getting in your way and in a way that you will hopefully not lose it if anything does happen. After all, if you're always worrying about your weapon because it's uncomfortable or you're always having to shift it because it's moving and getting in your way or you don't feel it may be secure enough, then how can you concentrate fully on the ride and being safe. I do use a shoulder holster under my vest and then carry enough rounds under the other arm to balance out the weight to make it more comfortable for me. But that is my style. Others I ride with use a CC vest or carry small "pocket pistols" that they either slip into their pockets or are so small that once they put the holstered weapon on the inside of their waistband you can't tell it's there. A few OC, but for the most part when we're riding as a group we don't OC as much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast