• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcyle OC

xenophon

This past weekend was awesome for weather. So I warmed the sport bike up and took a nice ride down by lake Michigan. I usually CC, as my jacket keeps my shirt down, but not this weekend. HOT, so no jacket! So I tucked my shirt behind my glock and enjoyed a blissful ride.

I went past the summerfest grounds, as I didn't know if anything was going on down there. It was pridefest!! :eek::eek: But that's ok, I just rode on by. That had like 15 cops around the outside gates, a couple of them waved. Good 'ole Milwaukee PD. Same time a year ago, I would have been a little more worried, but not now.

2 hours of riding around the lake and downtown Milwaukee. I CC 90% of the time, but that 0% OC is when I'm on the motorcycle. Not that CC is uncomfortable when on the cycle, I just figure why not. I don't have to worry about people asking stupid questions or worry about gun grabbers/etc.

It's nice to have options here in WI.

M

McX

floating between OC and CC mostly. CC when i have to wear a jacket, or if it's cold and i am riding the motorcycle, otherwise i let it hang out, so to speak. added a nifty option to my bike they didnt offer at the factory: a collapsible baton, mounted to the handlebars. A nice alternative to just a gun, may come in handy for shooing dogs away, or anything else that needs shooing away. carry on, carry often, carry out.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

How do you carry while riding? What are your plans if you have to lay the bike down with a sidearm strapped to your torso?

NoTolerance

How do you carry while riding? What are your plans if you have to lay the bike down with a sidearm strapped to your torso?

I open carry on my hip while riding. I use a holster with a thumb break for now. If I ever lay my bike down, the least of my concerns will be the well-being of my gun. Should I survive, I'll look at repairing or replacing it then.

Last edited:

bigdaddy1

I also OC when riding my bike, hip holster. How do you carry while driving and what are your plans if you crash? What happens if your incapacitated?

mohawk001

I think the question is, why shouldn't they? Questions of the type you asked could be asked of anyone. What happens if you're walking and have a heart attack and what would your plans be?

Trip20

I carry concealed IWB mostly, sometimes OWB. My plans are to balance on my strong side and have the asphalt grind away at the pistol instead of my ass cheek. Beyond that, not much.

HandyHamlet

If I ever lay my bike down, the least of my concerns will be the well-being of my gun.

Thanks for missing the point completely.

I also OC when riding my bike, hip holster. How do you carry while driving and what are your plans if you crash? What happens if your incapacitated?

Bully for you Sir. Your question is irrelevant to the thread.

I think the question is, why shouldn't they? Questions of the type you asked could be asked of anyone. What happens if you're walking and have a heart attack and what would your plans be?

Who said they shouldn't? BS. The question I posed would not even be thought of by a non or inexperienced rider. Because they don't think about laying a bike down. Don't know how to do it. Or why one would do it. But thanks for playing! :banana:

I carry concealed IWB mostly, sometimes OWB. My plans are to balance on my strong side and have the asphalt grind away at the pistol instead of my ass cheek. Beyond that, not much.

At least you actually get it. As always. Thank you Sir.

My point. Will the sidearm exacerbate or cause injuries as you grind on down the road? If the sidearm is attached to your waist or in the back vs across the chest or in a shoulder holster? Or in a tank bag or side bag or strapped to the bike itself?

bigdaddy1

Bully for you Sir. Your question is irrelevant to the thread.

At least you actually get it. As always. Thank you Sir.

My point. Will the sidearm exacerbate or cause injuries as you grind on down the road? If the sidearm is attached to your waist or in the back vs across the chest or in a shoulder holster? Or in a tank bag or side bag or strapped to the bike itself?

Perhaps if you actually made a point it would have been easier to get :lol: Your mildy hostile response was unnecessary.:confused:

I was asking a more serious question as to what would happen to a sidearm if such a occurred. Even though no crime (at least involving the firearm occurred) would it be confiscated? What would be necessary to get it back? That was what I thought you were getting at.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Perhaps if you actually made a point it would have been easier to get :lol:

A direct question is no longer good enough? :confused:

Your mildy hostile response was unnecessary.:confused:

Succinct and hostile are two different things. I was in a hurry.

I was asking a more serious question as to what would happen to a sidearm if such a occurred. Even though no crime (at least involving the firearm occurred) would it be confiscated? What would be necessary to get it back? That was what I thought you were getting at.

Good questions.

Cheers!

:D

Last edited:

MKEgal

NoTolerance said:
I open carry on my hip while riding. ... If I ever lay my bike down, the least of my concerns will be the well-being of my gun.
HandyHamlet said:
Thanks for missing the point completely.
Will the sidearm exacerbate or cause injuries as you grind on down the road?
That was my first thought. If I crash, I wouldn't care a bit about the pistol other than how much damage it might do to me.

HH said:
The question I posed would not even be thought of by a non or inexperienced rider.
Because they don't think about laying a bike down.
Don't know how to do it. Or why one would do it.
People crash because they can't control their vehicle.
"Laying it down" is crashing on purpose.
Learning to think & look ahead to avoid problems, knowing the limits of your machine w/r/t braking, lean angle, etc., will go a long way toward preventing crashes.

Sliding along asphalt will take a lot longer to stop, & be a bleep of a lot more painful, than keeping the bike upright & using maximum braking... not to mention the cost of repairs to rider & machine.

bigdaddy1 said:
I was asking a more serious question as to what would happen to a sidearm if such a occurred. Even though no crime (at least involving the firearm occurred) would it be confiscated? What would be necessary to get it back?
In Milwaukee, it'd probably be necessary to petition the court to order MPD to return your property, then go back in a couple months because they didn't do as the court ordered. :mad:

HandyHamlet

If I crash, I wouldn't care a bit about the pistol other than how much damage it might do to me.

Exactly.

People crash because they can't control their vehicle.

People crash because if you are on two wheels you will eventually fall down. A single rock that makes the back end squirt out from under you in a turn? Saw it happen in front of me. Rider error? I guess we could have hand swept our route prior to the ride... Laying it down means both where I come from if it matters.

Learning to think & look ahead to avoid problems...

And yet it happens all the time. That's why we have ATGATT. That's why I asked.

Trip20

So I guess it's about odds... Odds you'll need it to protect your life vs. odds you'll go down and crack your hip on it.

I don't want either to happen. But I do know I'd want it with me if I need it for protection more than I'd not want it with me when I land on it.... If that makes sense.

HandyHamlet

Same as keeping keys or cell phone in pocket right? Same thing.

I don't ride with a cell phone or keys in any pockets. I don't want anything creating more damage than necessary.

But I do know I'd want it with me if I need it for protection more than I'd not want it with me when I land on it.... If that makes sense.

I never said anything about not carrying just to be crystal clear.

Trip20

Nope you didn't. Just expressing that I recognize the risk and my rational for accepting the same.

fadepoint89

Sounds like maybe your trying to get him to rethink his means of carry to prevent injury. Motorcycles in general are dangerous and I'm pretty sure 90% of cyclists have accepted the fact that if they crash its not going to be good. How about "thanks for carrying and supporting our rights."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NoTolerance

This thread is on its way to morphing into a "I'm a REAL BIKER; You're just a RIDER" debate....

My focus is not on my gun while riding. I appreciate your point that it's one more thing that could potentially cause additional damage to me, but it's an assumed, calculated risk. If I were to continue with that line of reasoning, then I should also wear a helmet, a heavy leather jacket, body armor, thick gloves, multi-layered armored pants, boots, a neck brace, and a mouth guard every time I ride. I should probably add two more wheels to my bike for balance and maybe add a reinforced frame around it, too. Then I could add seatbelts, airbags, and OnStar, too.

Facetiousness aside, if I'm ever in a situation where I need to lay down my bike - intentionally or not - I can almost guarantee beyond any shadow of doubt that in the split second I have to react, my gun is not going to enter my thought process, let alone how I "plan" to land on or avoid landing on it. If you're capable of of taking every single variable into consideration within that time, kudos to you. I'll keep focusing on riding rather than falling.

M

McX

This thread is on its way to morphing into a "I'm a REAL BIKER; You're just a RIDER" debate....

My focus is not on my gun while riding. I appreciate your point that it's one more thing that could potentially cause additional damage to me, but it's an assumed, calculated risk. If I were to continue with that line of reasoning, then I should also wear a helmet, a heavy leather jacket, body armor, thick gloves, multi-layered armored pants, boots, a neck brace, and a mouth guard every time I ride. I should probably add two more wheels to my bike for balance and maybe add a reinforced frame around it, too. Then I could add seatbelts, airbags, and OnStar, too.

Facetiousness aside, if I'm ever in a situation where I need to lay down my bike - intentionally or not - I can almost guarantee beyond any shadow of doubt that in the split second I have to react, my gun is not going to enter my thought process, let alone how I "plan" to land on or avoid landing on it. If you're capable of of taking every single variable into consideration within that time, kudos to you. I'll keep focusing on riding rather than falling.

you gotta get a thicker skin! go with what you think, you feel. He Who Rides Decides, not the peanut gallery.