Thread: Not Va but not a bad idea because of some Tidewater dynamic entries

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Not Va but not a bad idea because of some Tidewater dynamic entries

Indiana First State to Allow Citizens to Shoot Law Enforcement Officers
    http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/Vi...fficers_120611

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes. It was signed by Republican Governor Mitch Daniels in March.

The first of its kind in the United States, the law was adopted after the state Supreme Court went too far in one of its rulings last year, according to supporters. The case in question involved a man who assaulted an officer during a domestic violence call. The court ruled that there was no right to reasonably resist unlawful entry by police officers.

The National Rifle Association lobbied for the new law, arguing that the court decision had legalized police to commit unjustified entries.

Tim Downs, president of the Indiana State Fraternal Order of Police, which opposed the legislation, said the law could open the way for people who are under the influence or emotionally distressed to attack officers in their homes.

Its just a recipe for disaster, Downs told Bloomberg. It just puts a bounty on our heads.

A bounty? Really? He must have a foot shaped mouth. I thought it was already legal to resist a unlawfull arrest? Why wouldent if be lawfull to resist unlawfull entry?

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes
    Unlawful entry is unlawful entry regardless on your job title... BULLY for IN!!!!!
    When folks unlawfully enter someones home they are playing Russian roulette with half of the chambers loaded (or more).
    This is magnified when the citizen/s know/s he/she isn't a criminal.

I guess the local FBI can check the ID's of those lying face down to see if they were really LE and or why they choose this (house incorrectly) unsuspecting "defensless" homeowner when the homeowner runs out of bullets.

With all the wrong address non sense/ fake cop/s BS, this is/was long overdue...imho

EDIT:
    @ tanner it is/was legal except you could face manslaughter charges
    Last edited by Marco; 06-12-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Question

I've wondered this before: Why are military style "dynamic entries" the default option anyway? Why not just wait until the suspect leaves their house to go to the store or get gas or something and grab them on the street. Surely a lot less dangerous for the officers since they can chose the exact time and place to make their move.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    A bounty? Really? He must have a foot shaped mouth. I thought it was already legal to resist a unlawfull arrest? Why wouldent if be lawfull to resist unlawfull entry?
    By Jove, I think he's got it!

Slap me silly and call me a biscuit - Tanner is getting it!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Cool

This simply codifies lethal force into the law. I think what was already covered was under "common" law.

Unless I am mistaken. Which happens. Infrequently.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    By Jove, I think he's got it!

Slap me silly and call me a biscuit - Tanner is getting it!

stay safe.
    I learn slow for a reason... It helps me commit it to memory. But everyone heard it here so if he shoots me after I slap him and call him a biscuit there is evidence that I was provoked! Just kidding skid I take your post as a great compliment so thank you.

Founder's Club Member
    Resist with force an unlawful entry? Just the way it should be! Criminals are criminals whether they get no paycheck or one dispensed via the taxpayers through the local constabulary.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    My take on it is unexpected forced entry has it's place but it is used WAY to liberally.
    It should be used very sparingly only when thoroughly vetted for it's necessity.

I think that was an impressive move by the Governor of Indiana. I want to find a way to congratulate him on this law. This country was founded to protect the citizen from a tyrranic government! Great for him!
    Last edited by Bowesmobile; 06-12-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Uhhh... let's see, the castle doctrine dates from 1603, and has been Virginia law since 1607... and they're saying this is new and different? That's precisely what the castle doctrine's all about - though in Virginia, that aspect of it is generally called, "defense of habitation".
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Indiana First State to Allow Citizens to Shoot Law Enforcement Officers
    http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/Vi...fficers_120611

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes. It was signed by Republican Governor Mitch Daniels in March.

Its just a recipe for disaster, Downs told Bloomberg. It just puts a bounty on our heads.
    Poor baby! Well, I have a helpful solution to keep those awful bounties away from your heads: DON'T ENTER HOMES UNLAWFULLY. Do your jobs correctly!

Next, I hope that Indiana is the first state to allow (other) citizens to shoot cops who kill their dogs. The journey of a thousand miles begins....

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    My take on it is unexpected forced entry has it's place but it is used WAY to liberally.
    It should be used very sparingly only when thoroughly vetted for it's necessity.
    True that. A lady in Oregon just had an unannounced forced entry to arrest her for.... Tax Fraud! That's right, her supposed crime was so heinous that the LEO's felt it required breaking out all the fancy SWAT toys and giving them a good field test for fear she may do some even more heinous while they serve the arrest warrant... Like she might commit Tax Evasion while they knock on the door politely! The Horror!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    True that. A lady in Oregon just had an unannounced forced entry to arrest her for.... Tax Fraud! That's right, her supposed crime was so heinous that the LEO's felt it required breaking out all the fancy SWAT toys and giving them a good field test for fear she may do some even more heinous while they serve the arrest warrant... Like she might commit Tax Evasion while they knock on the door politely! The Horror!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    thugs....