• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not Va but not a bad idea because of some Tidewater dynamic entries

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Indiana First State to Allow Citizens to Shoot Law Enforcement Officers
http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/V...zens_to_Shoot_Law_Enforcement_Officers_120611

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes. It was signed by Republican Governor Mitch Daniels in March.

The first of its kind in the United States, the law was adopted after the state Supreme Court went too far in one of its rulings last year, according to supporters. The case in question involved a man who assaulted an officer during a domestic violence call. The court ruled that there was “no right to reasonably resist unlawful entry by police officers.”

The National Rifle Association lobbied for the new law, arguing that the court decision had legalized police to commit unjustified entries.

Tim Downs, president of the Indiana State Fraternal Order of Police, which opposed the legislation, said the law could open the way for people who are under the influence or emotionally distressed to attack officers in their homes.

“It’s just a recipe for disaster,” Downs told Bloomberg. “It just puts a bounty on our heads.”

Marco

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes

Unlawful entry is unlawful entry regardless on your job title... BULLY for IN!!!!!
When folks unlawfully enter someones home they are playing Russian roulette with half of the chambers loaded (or more).
This is magnified when the citizen/s know/s he/she isn't a criminal.

I guess the local FBI can check the ID's of those lying face down to see if they were really LE and or why they choose this (house incorrectly) unsuspecting "defensless" homeowner when the homeowner runs out of bullets.

With all the wrong address non sense/ fake cop/s BS, this is/was long overdue...imho

EDIT:
@ tanner it is/was legal except you could face manslaughter charges

Last edited:

optiksguy

I've wondered this before: Why are military style "dynamic entries" the default option anyway? Why not just wait until the suspect leaves their house to go to the store or get gas or something and grab them on the street. Surely a lot less dangerous for the officers since they can chose the exact time and place to make their move.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A bounty? Really? He must have a foot shaped mouth. I thought it was already legal to resist a unlawfull arrest? Why wouldent if be lawfull to resist unlawfull entry?

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Slap me silly and call me a biscuit - Tanner is getting it!:banana:

stay safe.

wylde007

This simply codifies lethal force into the law. I think what was already covered was under "common" law.

Unless I am mistaken. Which happens. Infrequently.

Tanner

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Slap me silly and call me a biscuit - Tanner is getting it!:banana:

stay safe.

I learn slow for a reason... It helps me commit it to memory. But everyone heard it here so if he shoots me after I slap him and call him a biscuit there is evidence that I was provoked! Just kidding skid I take your post as a great compliment so thank you.:D

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Resist with force an unlawful entry? Just the way it should be! Criminals are criminals whether they get no paycheck or one dispensed via the taxpayers through the local constabulary.

twoskinsonemanns

My take on it is unexpected forced entry has it's place but it is used WAY to liberally.
It should be used very sparingly only when thoroughly vetted for it's necessity.

Bowesmobile

I think that was an impressive move by the Governor of Indiana. I want to find a way to congratulate him on this law. This country was founded to protect the citizen from a tyrranic government! Great for him!

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Uhhh... let's see, the castle doctrine dates from 1603, and has been Virginia law since 1607... and they're saying this is new and different? That's precisely what the castle doctrine's all about - though in Virginia, that aspect of it is generally called, "defense of habitation".

nemo

Indiana First State to Allow Citizens to Shoot Law Enforcement Officers
http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/V...zens_to_Shoot_Law_Enforcement_Officers_120611

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes. It was signed by Republican Governor Mitch Daniels in March.

“It’s just a recipe for disaster,” Downs told Bloomberg. “It just puts a bounty on our heads.”

Poor baby! Well, I have a helpful solution to keep those awful bounties away from your heads: DON'T ENTER HOMES UNLAWFULLY. Do your jobs correctly!

Next, I hope that Indiana is the first state to allow (other) citizens to shoot cops who kill their dogs. The journey of a thousand miles begins....

Baked on Grease

My take on it is unexpected forced entry has it's place but it is used WAY to liberally.
It should be used very sparingly only when thoroughly vetted for it's necessity.

True that. A lady in Oregon just had an unannounced forced entry to arrest her for.... Tax Fraud! That's right, her supposed crime was so heinous that the LEO's felt it required breaking out all the fancy SWAT toys and giving them a good field test for fear she may do some even more heinous while they serve the arrest warrant... Like she might commit Tax Evasion while they knock on the door politely! The Horror!:eek:

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

twoskinsonemanns

True that. A lady in Oregon just had an unannounced forced entry to arrest her for.... Tax Fraud! That's right, her supposed crime was so heinous that the LEO's felt it required breaking out all the fancy SWAT toys and giving them a good field test for fear she may do some even more heinous while they serve the arrest warrant... Like she might commit Tax Evasion while they knock on the door politely! The Horror!:eek:

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

thugs....