• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did I get scoped out?

user

Accomplished Advocate
That is a lot of assumption, given that we actually know nothing about this individual. He also could have been a relatively normal individual who had just never seen a "regular Joe" carrying a firearm in public.

True - that's why I used the word, "guessing". And it is fun to guess about things. Take the Culpeper Shooting thread for instance...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, before anyone begins walking around in agent...er condition orange because a person is within 21 feet and ugly, I'll tell you about one of the three guards at Surry. This fellow was about 5x5 and even though he was a Vet, I'll bet he can't spell it.

I was out front trying to pry information about the missing guard, out of him... and he finally loosened up when I complemented him on being brave.

He said "yeah, that man was in the Captain's reactionary zone".

I asked what the hell a reactionary zone was and he said

"We got training and when someone gets in the rectionary zone....yo got to ...REACT".

Moral of this tidbit from the Ferry Tale. Don't tell people about your reactionary zone..or they make fun of you on the internet!:lol:

half_life1052

Well, before anyone begins walking around in agent...er condition orange because a person is within 21 feet and ugly, I'll tell you about one of the three guards at Surry. This fellow was about 5x5 and even though he was a Vet, I'll bet he can't spell it.

I was out front trying to pry information about the missing guard, out of him... and he finally loosened up when I complemented him on being brave.

Moral of this tidbit from the Ferry Tale. Don't tell people about your reactionary zone..or they make fun of you on the internet!:lol:

Surry Power Station?

love4guns

Can't spell vet-haha

kenny

The OP if really from Lynchburg should be used to the locals staring at everyone. They have a habit of doing that. My best advice is to do one of two things. First, say hello and engage them in a conversation. Most likely they will turn and walk away. Second, you can try saying boo to them. Most likely they will run away. Most are harmless except the ones with no teeth, most likely they are just hungry.

I think the OP is just imagining too much into the situation. When I get the look, I remind them that I am not the guy that was on America's Most Wanted last week, then they really run.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Surry Power Station?

Nah this is the ferry across the James River in Surry Co. Skidmark had an incident with the corrupt dingleberries working the ferry, the local sheriff's dept. and the county's Commonwealth Attorney. Do some searching and you'll come up with various threads on it. If you come to the VCDL picnic in Roanoke maybe Santa Claus will tell you about it himself. :)

davestradamus

Lets not take this too far. I was simply telling a story about the only time I have felt uncomfortable around a particular person while OCing. The intentions of any individual cannot be determined so easily. I wanted to ask the folks around here if something similar had happened to them, or just collect thoughts on the situation. Even if I wasnt armed I would have been on alert about this individual. When somebody gets too close multiple times I raise a flag in the old thinker....

Thanks for the input everyone!

Keep calm and carry on!

love4guns

Lets not take this too far. I was simply telling a story about the only time I have felt uncomfortable around a particular person while OCing. The intentions of any individual cannot be determined so easily. I wanted to ask the folks around here if something similar had happened to them, or just collect thoughts on the situation. Even if I wasnt armed I would have been on alert about this individual. When somebody gets too close multiple times I raise a flag in the old thinker....

Thanks for the input everyone!

Keep calm and carry on!

Trust me people have a tendicey to get off the beating path around here. I certainly apperciate your post. I like hearing how other OCers handle different situations.