• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call senator berger now!

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Posting from my phone, so I will keep this short: Please take a minute & call Senator Berger's office 919-733-5708. The staff member I spoke with was very polite & listened. It doesn't take long. Tell him we want the Senator to move HB111 to the floor for a vote ASAP. Tell him why you want restaurant carry. Other states including all that border ours allow it & haven't suffered ill effects. Also most guns stolen in NC come from parked cars. If we don't have to disarm at the restaurant then there are fewer guns in parked cars to be stolen. THANKS :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

NC-Heel

So, Berger responded to my email patting his own back about getting church carry passed. Skirted the whole current restaurant fiasco. Anyone here feel threatened while leaving church on a Sunday afternoon? If I had to choose which time I was armed and the situations were Applebee's on a Friday night and church on Sunday at noon guess which one I would pick?

rotorhead

So, Berger responded to my email patting his own back about getting church carry passed. Skirted the whole current restaurant fiasco. Anyone here feel threatened while leaving church on a Sunday afternoon? If I had to choose which time I was armed and the situations were Applebee's on a Friday night and church on Sunday at noon guess which one I would pick?

Don't forget the pride that the Senate displayed when they announced that they have approved the town of Shelby's "Livermush Festival" as the one and only "official" Livermush festival for the state.

Yessir, the voters who put them into office should be beaming with pride this week. People die in restaurants, yet the Senate spends their time making it clear that there is an official Livermush festival that all North Carolinians can call their own.

Kinda puts a lump in your through, don't it?

Medic1210

Churches aren't immune to mass shootings. Do a google search. I've yet to get any response from Sen. Berger, despite multiple tweets, phone calls, and emails.

Medic1210

The only response I've received so far was the following message from Thom Goolsby.

Thank you for this contact. I support restaurant carry, the Castle Doctrine and repeal of the state of emergency gun ban. I proposed a new law this session allowing concealed carry on all church property. Please voice your opinion on gun rights in a poll surrounding this issue.http://www.wwaytv3.com/poll/sen-tho...churches-used-schools-outside-school-hours-wh

Thanks again for your time and support of the Second Amendment. Lawmakers should preserve the right to bear arms when it is threatened and I appreciate your advocacy for individual liberty.

Senator Thom Goolsby9th District – New Hanover County

If only all the senators felt the same way.:rolleyes:

NC-Heel

Churches aren't immune to mass shootings. Do a google search. I've yet to get any response from Sen. Berger, despite multiple tweets, phone calls, and emails.
I have. The latest true statistics I could find said there had been 18 church shootings in 11 years (1999 thru 2010). I bet there were at least 18 restaurants robbed yesterday at gunpoint in the U.S.

Medic1210

I have. The latest true statistics I could find said there had been 18 church shootings in 11 years (1999 thru 2010). I bet there were at least 18 restaurants robbed yesterday at gunpoint in the U.S.

I'm not trying to say restaurant carry isn't important. I have been emailing and tweeting and calling like crazy to let them know we want it passed. I'm just saying church carry is just as important. I believe we should be allowed to carry anywhere, anytime.

rotorhead

I just wanted to add that we have to keep focus on the "church" carry thing. It's another deceptive discretion created by an anti gun media. There are no laws against carrying in a "church", other than the standard property owner language that enables private owners the ability to ban weapons at their locations.

What Sen Goolsby's bill does is create an exception to existing law banning firearms from educational facilities (schools). What he's saying is that law bans firearms from schools, but some churches technically can be included if they have an educational program. The problem is that some churches also run a school, therefore weapons are banned from the property. His bill would allow for weapons on site if no "school" activities (classes, etc) are going on at the time. Another scenario would be for churches who conduct their services at an education facility during non-scheduled class times, like at night.

His bill would allow people to carry guns to those services in areas where they would normally be banned from bringing them due to the "school" laws. It's not about "church" carry, per se, but about being able to carry on educational facilities if the facility is being used solely for a church service at the time. Also, he's trying to protect people from prosecution if they carry at a church that happens to run a school on their grounds by allowing for carry there if no school activities are scheduled at the time.

As it stands right now, any of us could technically be prosecuted simply by attending a Wed night service while armed if the church happened to also run a school, even if the school isn't being used that night.

Last edited:

moonie

My church meets in a Middle school auditorium so this would be great for us. My pastor was unaware that we couldn't carry there, I had to explain it to him. Only the LEO members of our church can, and they do.