• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Resturants That Serve Alcohol

ZeroC

I checked all the thread titles since last September and maybe I just missed it. But reading the law when carrying in a restaurant with a liquor license it sounds like you just have to have a CHL and it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be concealed. Is that correct?

Hareuhal

I checked all the thread titles since last September and maybe I just missed it. But reading the law when carrying in a restaurant with a liquor license it sounds like you just have to have a CHL and it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be concealed. Is that correct?

I'm not sure if restaurants fall under that category since they don't EXCLUSIVELY sell alcohol. It was my [possibly incorrect] understanding that to carry in an establishment such as a bar..you needed to have a permit, as well as not be consuming alcohol yourself. I could be wrong, so hopefully someone corrects me. However, I'm DEFINITELY not sure if you technically need to conceal it or not. I was actually just wondering that today.

ZeroC

Oh, yeah, i guess you're right, i pretty much don't go to bars so I guess I wouldn't be overly concerned on that front.

Hareuhal

Oh, yeah, i guess you're right, i pretty much don't go to bars so I guess I wouldn't be overly concerned on that front.

One reason I an unsure is grocery stores sell liquor, such as Giant Eagle, and that doesn't fall under that category..now entering the actual liquor department might..so it's a grey area. Hopefully someone wiser than I can answer that for the both of us.

Magickallife

ACCORDING TO EVERYTHYING IVE RESEARCHED NOW, YOU CAN WALK INTO A BAR SIT DOWN AND HAVE A non-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE OR EAT, AND NOT NEED A CCW TO OPEN CARRY, INCLUDING GROCERY STORES AND ANYWHERE ELSE THAT NOT A SCHOOL OR COURTHOUSE OR GOVERNMENT BUILDING.

RT48

No where in Ohio's law is there a requirement that a gun be kept concealed. The CHL simply makes it legal if you choose to do so.

A CHL is required to legally enter a facility with a class D license in which customers are consuming liquor on the premises. That would apply to bars, restaurants and grocery stores holding wine tastings. Just another reason why a CHL is a good idea for open carriers.

JmE

This is where it gets murky for me. I'd assume that when open carrying in a class D licensed establishment where persons are obviously (or maybe even when it's not so obvious) consuming, one holding a valid CHL must currently inform when challenged by an officer; is that pretty much the consensus?

This rolls right into my current open carry holster dilemma, about which I should probably start a new thread.

Hareuhal

This is where it gets murky for me. I'd assume that when open carrying in a class D licensed establishment where persons are obviously (or maybe even when it's not so obvious) consuming, one holding a valid CHL must currently inform when challenged by an officer; is that pretty much the consensus?

This rolls right into my current open carry holster dilemma, about which I should probably start a new thread.

If you're carrying into a class D Establishment, you cannot consume alcohol, so there would be no reason to inform any officer that you have your permit, as you shouldn't be carrying.

JmE

If you're carrying into a class D Establishment, you cannot consume alcohol, so there would be no reason to inform any officer that you have your permit, as you shouldn't be carrying.

Huh? Where other persons are consuming, not the CHL holder. Obviously, in Ohio a person carrying a firearm shouldn't be the one consuming if they wish to obey the law. LOL

Examples include taverns or restaurants where others are consuming, stores and other venues where others are tasting wine, etc...

I honestly thought that was obvious in my original post as only a complete fool or a troll would get on a site like this and blatantly ask about doing something illegal. I sincerely apologize for not being more clear in my post.

JmE

I'm thinking that as long as one is carrying on a CHL and as long as the duty to inform is in the law then one must inform in a class D licensed establishment if alcohol is being consumed.

Knowing my luck, a store will have it's once in a decade wine tasting on the day that I'm open carrying. I won't be aware and half the graduating police academy class will be shopping for party snacks in my aisle!

MyWifeSaidYes

I'm thinking that as long as one is carrying on a CHL and as long as the duty to inform is in the law then one must inform in a class D licensed establishment if alcohol is being consumed.

Knowing my luck, a store will have it's once in a decade wine tasting on the day that I'm open carrying. I won't be aware and half the graduating police academy class will be shopping for party snacks in my aisle!

From ORC 2923.126:

...If a licensee is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun at the time the officer approaches, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the licensee while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently is carrying a concealed handgun;...

You have no duty to notify if you are open carrying, regardless of where you are.

This does not apply if you and your gun are in or on a motor vehicle.

Hareuhal

Huh? Where other persons are consuming, not the CHL holder. Obviously, in Ohio a person carrying a firearm shouldn't be the one consuming if they wish to obey the law. LOL

Examples include taverns or restaurants where others are consuming, stores and other venues where others are tasting wine, etc...

I honestly thought that was obvious in my original post as only a complete fool or a troll would get on a site like this and blatantly ask about doing something illegal. I sincerely apologize for not being more clear in my post.

Sorry - I have been following this thread and have read all of the posts, however in regards to the one I responded to, I read that one individually and not in conjunction with your original. I honestly did not see you were the OP, just thought you popped into the thread and asked that question. When I read that question alone, without your original post, I noticed you didn't explicitly state whether or not you were drinking, so I wanted to make that clear.

My apologies for not realizing you were adding on to your original post.

JmE

Sorry - I have been following this thread and have read all of the posts, however in regards to the one I responded to, I read that one individually and not in conjunction with your original. I honestly did not see you were the OP, just thought you popped into the thread and asked that question. When I read that question alone, without your original post, I noticed you didn't explicitly state whether or not you were drinking, so I wanted to make that clear.

My apologies for not realizing you were adding on to your original post.

I'm not the OP and I did just pop in and asked that question as it was related and it didn't seem to warrant a new thread. But, it's all good.

Even though my posts might come off as goofy; I can assure anyone reading them that I'm more sober than a judge and, although I try to be clear, my writings may seem out of left field due to my sometimes offbeat way of thinking and perspective.

ZeroC

From ORC 2923.126:

You have no duty to notify if you are open carrying, regardless of where you are.

But i'm guessing you would have to present your CHL if asked since you're carrying in a place that would require you to have one?

JmE

From ORC 2923.126:

My problem with that line of reasoning is that one can't open carry in a bar without a license or am I mistaken on that? If that's correct then the person is carrying, open or concealed, on the privilege of that license. As such, they would be subject to the duties of said license; to wit, duty to inform.

Possible examples of duty to inform vs. open carry: (The first two are related more to my holster question thread but still kissing cousins to this one.)

- Someone thinks that they are lawfully open carrying in a flap holster. Officer believes otherwise and cites the carrier for not informing about CHL in the beginning of the encounter.
- Someone is open carrying in a retention holster that covers most of the firearm, doesn't inform, and officer takes legal issue with it.
- Someone is in a bar and an officer asks questions of the individual. Open carrying and not thinking about a CHL, the person fails to promptly disclose that they have a CHL and, obviously enough but good practice, is currently armed. The officer gets a bee in his bonnet and decides that the carrier didn't notify until after the officer asked. (A toned down version of Harless except that the open carrier is on foot and doesn't actually try to notify.)
- Someone is open carrying in Jungle Jim's (or wherever that they have a class D) while a wine tasting is in progress, unnoticed by the carrier. Officer approaches and demands to see the person's CHL (Ala Officer Kelly and Harleys&Guns). Carrier thinks he doesn't have to produce because of open carry and officer believes the suspect must due to the class D license and the wine tasting.

These might appear as inconsequential details, however, I've had small details create issues in other situations (not related to carry). It takes time, frustration, and money to sort these things out. Not to mention that anytime there is a disagreement during a stop involving a firearm there is a certain amount of danger for both parties.

How this ties into the OP is that this involves the need for a CHL to carry into a class D licensed establishment. Although one can choose to carry openly, I was asking about duty to inform in such a circumstance when the establishment may be dispensing.

Hopefully, duty to inform goes away and at least that part of the equation disappears. But the issue of if a carrier must produce a CHL to an officer when requested even though the person is open carrying in such a situation doesn't.

JmE

But i'm guessing you would have to present your CHL if asked since you're carrying in a place that would require you to have one?

You slipped it in whilst I was typing mine. That's exactly the question I'm asking!

MyWifeSaidYes

Yes.

Although you do not have to notify, you would have to produce your CHL on demand to prevent potential arrest.

Similar situation - a LEO sees an open carrier getting out of a car. OC'er would NOT need the CHL while out of his car, but he WOULD need to produce it if the LEO wanted to charge him with Improper Handling.

JmE

Got it. Thanks.

Depending on the situation, I might notify just to be safe if in a class D licensed establishment that is serving depending on how nit-picky the officer starts off. If he seems like he's looking for anything to cite or arrest about; it'll probably be better for me to inform. It's good to know that others are of the opinion that it's not required.