Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Carrying in car

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    richmond
    Posts
    6

    Carrying in car

    So, when I carry I usually open carry. However at work there is a no weapons policy. My office building isn't in the best area of the city, so I do carry in my laptop bag into work just in case I have to walk a ways to my car or if something goes down at the office, I'll be protected ( I know of other people who do the same). I know if the gun is in the glove box or center console of your car, it is not considered concealed. Now the question is, if I leave it in my laptop bag and I have it sitting on my passenger floor, or on the back seat, is that considered concealed?

  2. #2
    Regular Member MagiK_SacK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    264
    Refer to the stick section. The link to the thread that answers your question is here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...rmit%29-STICKY look at the second post

    Short answer is no
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

    A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Steeler-gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    562
    I'm not 100% certain but I believe the moment you stick it in your bag it is considered concealed - regardless of where the bag is stored in the car.


    ==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    richmond
    Posts
    6
    muchos gracias

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    I'm not 100% certain but I believe the moment you stick it in your bag it is considered concealed - regardless of where the bag is stored in the car.


    ==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

    No...the laptop case is a secure container. I posted about the case User successfully defended where the man had his gun in a backpack in the car.
    So in the car, the laptop case is fine.

    Attorney General's Opinion
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...InVehicles.pdf
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-12-2012 at 10:29 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    I would offer that the laptop bag, glove compartment, et al....they are all "concealed". What you guys are looking for is not that they are concealed, but that that they are "legally concealed without a permit"...

    That is the difference.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I would offer that the laptop bag, glove compartment, et al....they are all "concealed". What you guys are looking for is not that they are concealed, but that that they are "legally concealed without a permit"...

    That is the difference.
    Very True!
    I stand corrected, it is concealed....just lawfully.
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-13-2012 at 09:47 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I would offer that the laptop bag, glove compartment, et al....they are all "concealed". What you guys are looking for is not that they are concealed, but that that they are "legally concealed without a permit"...

    That is the difference.
    Hey im glad you said it! I had this tought a few days ago but figured I would keep my mouth shut. After all I do not enjoy the taste of my foot. Glad to see I woluld have been right. Is this how you guys feel all the time?

  9. #9
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Glad that I could help....
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  10. #10
    Regular Member Steeler-gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    No...the laptop case is a secure container. I posted about the case User successfully defended where the man had his gun in a backpack in the car.
    So in the car, the laptop case is fine.

    Attorney General's Opinion
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...InVehicles.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I would offer that the laptop bag, glove compartment, et al....they are all "concealed". What you guys are looking for is not that they are concealed, but that that they are "legally concealed without a permit"...

    That is the difference.
    So, if I'm carrying my gun in a laptop bag it is concealed and I need a VA CHP but once I put the bag into my car it's not concealed but is secured?
    This is confusing.
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

  11. #11
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    So, if I'm carrying my gun in a laptop bag it is concealed and I need a VA CHP but once I put the bag into my car it's not concealed but is secured?
    .
    No...

    if I'm carrying my gun in a laptop bag it is concealed and I need a VA CHP but once I put the bag into my car it's legally concealed and a permit is not needed because the laptop bag is a secure container.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  12. #12
    Regular Member Steeler-gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    No...

    if I'm carrying my gun in a laptop bag it is concealed and I need a VA CHP but once I put the bag into my car it's legally concealed and a permit is not needed because the laptop bag is a secure container.
    Oh, OK. That makes sense. Thanks!
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

  13. #13
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    In the bag is consealed in or out of the car. However you may carry consealed on or in your private property. A car is you private property. As proshooter pointed out you are just legally consealed, no permit needed. I think this was the thread where the one who started it said he still took his gun but left it in his car. The company did not allow guns so by doing so he was violating his companies right to refuse firearms. Thus illegaly carrying a firearm.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    In the bag is consealed in or out of the car. However you may carry consealed on or in your private property. A car is you private property. As proshooter pointed out you are just legally consealed, no permit needed. I think this was the thread where the one who started it said he still took his gun but left it in his car. The company did not allow guns so by doing so he was violating his companies right to refuse firearms. Thus illegaly carrying a firearm.
    That's not entirely accurate. You can't carry concealed on your person in your car w/o a CHP, only in a secured container.

    Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  15. #15
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    That's not entirely accurate. You can't carry concealed on your person in your car w/o a CHP, only in a secured container.

    Roscoe
    Fair enough. Than I am to understand that private property only applies to your residence? If im not mistaken you may cc without a permit. I may have misunderstood the wording of the law.

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Fair enough. Than I am to understand that private property only applies to your residence? If im not mistaken you may cc without a permit. I may have misunderstood the wording of the law.
    You need to sit down and read the statute Tanner. You can't CC just because you're on private property.
    You can CC in your own place of business and home or the immediate yard.
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-15-2012 at 07:14 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You need to sit down and read the statute Tanner. You can't CC just because you're on private property.
    You can CC in your own place of business and home or the immediate yard.

    I did read it just misunderstood. Makes sense. cc in or around your house witout a CHP. Now I understand it. Thank you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •