• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in car

MWhiteDesigns

So, when I carry I usually open carry. However at work there is a no weapons policy. My office building isn't in the best area of the city, so I do carry in my laptop bag into work just in case I have to walk a ways to my car or if something goes down at the office, I'll be protected ( I know of other people who do the same). I know if the gun is in the glove box or center console of your car, it is not considered concealed. Now the question is, if I leave it in my laptop bag and I have it sitting on my passenger floor, or on the back seat, is that considered concealed?

Steeler-gal

I'm not 100% certain but I believe the moment you stick it in your bag it is considered concealed - regardless of where the bag is stored in the car.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm not 100% certain but I believe the moment you stick it in your bag it is considered concealed - regardless of where the bag is stored in the car.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

No...the laptop case is a secure container. I posted about the case User successfully defended where the man had his gun in a backpack in the car.
So in the car, the laptop case is fine.

Attorney General's Opinion
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/VAAGAdvisoryOPFirearmsInVehicles.pdf

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would offer that the laptop bag, glove compartment, et al....they are all "concealed". What you guys are looking for is not that they are concealed, but that that they are "legally concealed without a permit"...

That is the difference.

Very True!
I stand corrected, it is concealed....just lawfully.

Last edited:

Tanner

I would offer that the laptop bag, glove compartment, et al....they are all "concealed". What you guys are looking for is not that they are concealed, but that that they are "legally concealed without a permit"...

That is the difference.

Hey im glad you said it! I had this tought a few days ago but figured I would keep my mouth shut. After all I do not enjoy the taste of my foot. Glad to see I woluld have been right. Is this how you guys feel all the time?

Sheriff

That is the difference.

Correct you are, legally concealed.

You seem to be one of the smart ones around here. :lol:

I wonder if the original poster will ever see the proper answer now? Think we should drop him a Private Message?

Steeler-gal

No...the laptop case is a secure container. I posted about the case User successfully defended where the man had his gun in a backpack in the car.
So in the car, the laptop case is fine.

Attorney General's Opinion
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/VAAGAdvisoryOPFirearmsInVehicles.pdf

That is the difference.

So, if I'm carrying my gun in a laptop bag it is concealed and I need a VA CHP but once I put the bag into my car it's not concealed but is secured?
This is confusing.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
So, if I'm carrying my gun in a laptop bag it is concealed and I need a VA CHP but once I put the bag into my car it's not concealed but is secured?

No...

if I'm carrying my gun in a laptop bag it is concealed and I need a VA CHP but once I put the bag into my car it's legally concealed and a permit is not needed because the laptop bag is a secure container.

Tanner

In the bag is consealed in or out of the car. However you may carry consealed on or in your private property. A car is you private property. As proshooter pointed out you are just legally consealed, no permit needed. I think this was the thread where the one who started it said he still took his gun but left it in his car. The company did not allow guns so by doing so he was violating his companies right to refuse firearms. Thus illegaly carrying a firearm.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
In the bag is consealed in or out of the car. However you may carry consealed on or in your private property. A car is you private property. As proshooter pointed out you are just legally consealed, no permit needed. I think this was the thread where the one who started it said he still took his gun but left it in his car. The company did not allow guns so by doing so he was violating his companies right to refuse firearms. Thus illegaly carrying a firearm.

That's not entirely accurate. You can't carry concealed on your person in your car w/o a CHP, only in a secured container.

Roscoe

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Fair enough. Than I am to understand that private property only applies to your residence? If im not mistaken you may cc without a permit. I may have misunderstood the wording of the law.

You need to sit down and read the statute Tanner. You can't CC just because you're on private property.
You can CC in your own place of business and home or the immediate yard.

Last edited: