Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Registry Question.

Weapon Registry Question.

A friend, whose computer I am using right now, asked me a question I have never thought of before...Forgive me if this is something that may seem obvious to you all.

Does the weapon you use to either Open Carry or Concealed Carry have to be a registered weapon?

This question arose because the weapon we were talking about is an inherited weapon and has never been registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfebane View Post
    A friend, whose computer I am using right now, asked me a question I have never thought of before...Forgive me if this is something that may seem obvious to you all.

Does the weapon you use to either Open Carry or Concealed Carry have to be a registered weapon?

This question arose because the weapon we were talking about is an inherited weapon and has never been registered.
    What registry? There is no such thing in America.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    What registry? There is no such thing in America.
    Well there is. When you buy a gun from a FFL dealer that paper work you are filling is registering your gun in your name to the ATF.
    I carry a Para Ordance 1911 .45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Well there is. When you buy a gun from a FFL dealer that paper work you are filling is registering your gun in your name to the ATF.
    No it does not. The gun is not even given to NICS (which is not the ATF). The only thing ran is the person to see if they are a prohibited person.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    The forms you fill out are stored by the FFL dealer. They are not sent into any government agency nor tracked in any registration.

The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. Also if you buy 2 handguns in a 5 day period that must be reported to the ATF.

For more information see 27 CFR 478.124a
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 06-13-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Perhaps the OP is referring to the DOL "registry" created by the required forms for pistol sales in this state?

And there ARE gun registries in America. New York, Commiefornia, Las Vegas, etc...

But to directly answer the OP's question,

NO!

There is NO "official" handgun registration in the state of Washington. The DOL thing notwithstanding, you are free to carry an inherited or privately purchased handgun that's never been "reported" to the DOL.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    The forms you fill out are stored by the FFL dealer. They are not sent into any government agency nor tracked in any registration.

The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. Also if you buy 2 handguns in a 5 day period that must be reported to the ATF.

For more information see 27 CFR 478.124a
    Don't forget that the form 4473s must be surrendered to the ATF when your license expires.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Don't forget that the form 4473s must be surrendered to the ATF when your license expires.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    Is that just your state? I bought all my guns before I had a CPL, so I have no CPL on file with the dealers were I bought my guns. So they are going to turn my 4473's over...when?
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Is that just your state? I bought all my guns before I had a CPL, so I have no CPL on file with the dealers were I bought my guns. So they are going to turn my 4473's over...when?
    I think that he meant, when the dealers license expires, they must surrender the forms to the ATF.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Trust me if you buy your gun from a FFL they have it in their system.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

SVG, if I remember correctly, the last time you were arrested (not that you will be again) you noted that the LEOs had all your weapons listed, to include weapons you were just THINKING about purchasing.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Perhaps the OP is referring to the DOL "registry" created by the required forms for pistol sales in this state?
    The pistol/revolver private disposition/transfer form is not, and has never been, required in the state of Washington. It is purely optional.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf

This form may be voluntarily submitted by the seller or transferor to report the sale, transfer of ownership, loss, or other disposition of a pistol or revolver. RCW 9.41
    As to the other point, I wasn't born yesterday, and it's pretty darn hard for me to believe the government does not collect and retain purchase information from FFL sales. It's just too much good information for them to pass up when it's right there for the taking. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's a reason I haven't purchased anything but ammo from an FFL for a few years now...
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 06-13-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    The pistol/revolver private disposition/transfer form is not, and has never been, required in the state of Washington. It is purely optional.
    The DOL form that you fill out at the FFL isn't optional...
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Trust me if you buy your gun from a FFL they have it in their system.
    Not the ATF or the Feds. Why do I get calls from the ATF to trace a firearm? Is it all just a show?
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    The DOL form that you fill out at the FFL isn't optional...

It is (optional) for a private sale.
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 06-13-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

It is for a private sale.
    Seems not all dealers know this. I remember being told it's required once or twice.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Seems not all dealers know this. I remember being told it's required once or twice.
    That's because dealers do not conduct private sales. As Nick mentioned, it is optional for private sales. As soon as an FFL is involved, the DOL form is required.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

This is the kind of thing that leads to tragic boating/canoeing/kayaking/hiking/climbing accidents.

:-)
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

As a dispatcher when I check a name for firearms permit, it will show any handguns purchased in Washington, even if you donít have a CWP. It will note the make, model, caliber, date of purchase. Along with the personís name/birth date address (all the information from your driverís license); so in a sense, we do have a handgun registration system.

See big brother is watching, pass the heavy duty roll of tin foil.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

The original question that my friend asked was because he was thinking about starting to carry and he wanted to know that the gun his father purchased back in 1971 would be "legal" to carry since it was never "registered" (I guess in any context, since neither of us were sure what types of registries there might be in WA)

Question

The original question that my friend asked was because he was thinking about starting to carry and he wanted to know that the gun his father purchased back in 1971 would be "legal" to carry since it was never "registered" (I guess in any context, since neither of us were sure what types of registries there might be in WA)
    Do you own guns? I'm kind of surprised that you thought there may have been a legal requirement to register your firearms (presumably carrying a criminal penalty for noncompliance), and didn't check this out before your friend asked about it...
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Everyone did answer your question.

The direct answer is yes it is legal to carry. (There is no registration that makes carry legal, you must not be a prohibited person and must carry as per the law, whether OC or CC)
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Do you own guns? I'm kind of surprised that you thought there may have been a legal requirement to register your firearms (presumably carrying a criminal penalty for noncompliance), and didn't check this out before your friend asked about it...
    Thank you for the snarky response, I now understand where all the drama I read about between you and another poster came from.

Everyone did answer your question.

The direct answer is yes it is legal to carry. (There is no registration that makes carry legal, you must not be a prohibited person and must carry as per the law, whether OC or CC)
    I know everyone answered my question we saw the thread last night and it helped, I was merely trying to help clarify my original question since several people had mentioned needing clarification.

www.WaGuns.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast