• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapon Registry Question.

Wolfebane

A friend, whose computer I am using right now, asked me a question I have never thought of before...Forgive me if this is something that may seem obvious to you all.

Does the weapon you use to either Open Carry or Concealed Carry have to be a registered weapon?

This question arose because the weapon we were talking about is an inherited weapon and has never been registered.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
A friend, whose computer I am using right now, asked me a question I have never thought of before...Forgive me if this is something that may seem obvious to you all.

Does the weapon you use to either Open Carry or Concealed Carry have to be a registered weapon?

This question arose because the weapon we were talking about is an inherited weapon and has never been registered.

What registry? There is no such thing in America.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Well there is. When you buy a gun from a FFL dealer that paper work you are filling is registering your gun in your name to the ATF.

The forms you fill out are stored by the FFL dealer. They are not sent into any government agency nor tracked in any registration.

The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. Also if you buy 2 handguns in a 5 day period that must be reported to the ATF.

For more information see 27 CFR 478.124a

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Perhaps the OP is referring to the DOL "registry" created by the required forms for pistol sales in this state?

And there ARE gun registries in America. New York, Commiefornia, Las Vegas, etc...

But to directly answer the OP's question,

NO!

There is NO "official" handgun registration in the state of Washington. The DOL thing notwithstanding, you are free to carry an inherited or privately purchased handgun that's never been "reported" to the DOL.

Jack House

The forms you fill out are stored by the FFL dealer. They are not sent into any government agency nor tracked in any registration.

The ATF is allowed to inspect, as well as request a copy of the Form 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation. Also if you buy 2 handguns in a 5 day period that must be reported to the ATF.

For more information see 27 CFR 478.124a
Don't forget that the form 4473s must be surrendered to the ATF when your license expires.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Don't forget that the form 4473s must be surrendered to the ATF when your license expires.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Is that just your state? I bought all my guns before I had a CPL, so I have no CPL on file with the dealers were I bought my guns. So they are going to turn my 4473's over...when?

tombrewster421

Is that just your state? I bought all my guns before I had a CPL, so I have no CPL on file with the dealers were I bought my guns. So they are going to turn my 4473's over...when?

I think that he meant, when the dealers license expires, they must surrender the forms to the ATF.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
SVG, if I remember correctly, the last time you were arrested (not that you will be again) you noted that the LEOs had all your weapons listed, to include weapons you were just THINKING about purchasing.

ManInBlack

Perhaps the OP is referring to the DOL "registry" created by the required forms for pistol sales in this state?

The pistol/revolver private disposition/transfer form is not, and has never been, required in the state of Washington. It is purely optional.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf

This form may be voluntarily submitted by the seller or transferor to report the sale, transfer of ownership, loss, or other disposition of a pistol or revolver. RCW 9.41

As to the other point, I wasn't born yesterday, and it's pretty darn hard for me to believe the government does not collect and retain purchase information from FFL sales. It's just too much good information for them to pass up when it's right there for the taking. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's a reason I haven't purchased anything but ammo from an FFL for a few years now...

Last edited:

911Grunt

:banghead:

As a dispatcher when I check a name for firearms permit, it will show any handguns purchased in Washington, even if you don’t have a CWP. It will note the make, model, caliber, date of purchase. Along with the person’s name/birth date address (all the information from your driver’s license); so in a sense, we do have a handgun registration system.