• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapon Registry Question.

Wolfebane

The original question that my friend asked was because he was thinking about starting to carry and he wanted to know that the gun his father purchased back in 1971 would be "legal" to carry since it was never "registered" (I guess in any context, since neither of us were sure what types of registries there might be in WA)

ManInBlack

The original question that my friend asked was because he was thinking about starting to carry and he wanted to know that the gun his father purchased back in 1971 would be "legal" to carry since it was never "registered" (I guess in any context, since neither of us were sure what types of registries there might be in WA)

Do you own guns? I'm kind of surprised that you thought there may have been a legal requirement to register your firearms (presumably carrying a criminal penalty for noncompliance), and didn't check this out before your friend asked about it...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Everyone did answer your question.

The direct answer is yes it is legal to carry. (There is no registration that makes carry legal, you must not be a prohibited person and must carry as per the law, whether OC or CC)

Wolfebane

Do you own guns? I'm kind of surprised that you thought there may have been a legal requirement to register your firearms (presumably carrying a criminal penalty for noncompliance), and didn't check this out before your friend asked about it...

Thank you for the snarky response, I now understand where all the drama I read about between you and another poster came from.

Everyone did answer your question.

The direct answer is yes it is legal to carry. (There is no registration that makes carry legal, you must not be a prohibited person and must carry as per the law, whether OC or CC)

I know everyone answered my question we saw the thread last night and it helped, I was merely trying to help clarify my original question since several people had mentioned needing clarification.

massivedesign

kjuMl.jpg

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
SVG, if I remember correctly, the last time you were arrested (not that you will be again) you noted that the LEOs had all your weapons listed, to include weapons you were just THINKING about purchasing.

Maybe a tin hat is needed so they cannot read brain waves when walking about! :lol:

ManInBlack

Thank you for the snarky response, I now understand where all the drama I read about between you and another poster came from.

Oh, I'm sorry...you must be thinking it was I who asked the internet a basic question relating to the mere legal possession of firearms...

Wolfebane

Oh, I'm sorry...you must be thinking it was I who asked the internet a basic question relating to the mere legal possession of firearms...

So, If someone doesn't know something, how are they supposed to find out other than asking a question. I guess in your world everything is already known.

ManInBlack

So, If someone doesn't know something, how are they supposed to find out other than asking a question. I guess in your world everything is already known.

Asking questions is a great way to learn. Other ways are the websites of state attorneys general, the actual laws (RCW) themselves, the archives of various forums (including this one), and about a million other sources on the internet. The key is that you should always check the laws for yourself, no matter what the internet says, or you should pony up the cash and pay a competent attorney for his opinion.

Like I said, I was only surprised that, as a firearms owner, you didn't look into this before when you thought it may have been required by law.

If I thought my behavior might be illegal in some way, I would find out immediately, for better or for worse. Better safe than sorry, and better knowledgeable than ignorant.

P.S.: I suggest you read, re-read, take a break, and read again, the entire RCW dealing with firearms (9.41): http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Not the ATF or the Feds. Why do I get calls from the ATF to trace a firearm? Is it all just a show?

SVG, if I remember correctly, the last time you were arrested (not that you will be again) you noted that the LEOs had all your weapons listed, to include weapons you were just THINKING about purchasing.

That's because dealers do not conduct private sales. As Nick mentioned, it is optional for private sales. As soon as an FFL is involved, the DOL form is required.

Maybe the ATF are just lazy....lol

A gun I didn't purchase but wanted to order at kesselring had to fill out the paper work but then changed my mind because the order was way backlogged showed up on the computer as well as a few of my long guns, I was handcuffed in the back of the car staring straight at the computer screen.

NavyLCDR did some leg work on it and as Massive says it has something to do with DOL.

Wolfebane

Asking questions is a great way to learn. Other ways are the websites of state attorneys general, the actual laws (RCW) themselves, the archives of various forums (including this one), and about a million other sources on the internet. The key is that you should always check the laws for yourself, no matter what the internet says, or you should pony up the cash and pay a competent attorney for his opinion.

Like I said, I was only surprised that, as a firearms owner, you didn't look into this before when you thought it may have been required by law.

If I thought my behavior might be illegal in some way, I would find out immediately, for better or for worse. Better safe than sorry, and better knowledgeable than ignorant.

P.S.: I suggest you read, re-read, take a break, and read again, the entire RCW dealing with firearms (9.41): http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

This wasn't my behavior, I already carry and I purchased my gun from a Licensed FFL, so if my gun had to be registered it would have already have been done so. And I had followed all the laws and procedures to get myself into a position to legally own a pistol and carry said concealed or open.

I was here asking about my friends gun which he inherited and had never been purchased from a FFL. I have never personally dealt with an inherited weapon. And I went straight here because it was late and we just wanted to pop the question up here, to this helpful community, and go about our business doing other things. I knew, from past posts, that people here would provide an answer as they interpret the relevant material and then provide a link to said materials.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

This wasn't my behavior, I already carry and I purchased my gun from a Licensed FFL, so if my gun had to be registered it would have already have been done so. And I had followed all the laws and procedures to get myself into a position to legally own a pistol and carry said concealed or open.

In states that require registration, merely purchasing from an FFL does not satisfy the requirement. The FFL is federal, the registration requirement is state.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I went straight here because it was late and we just wanted to pop the question up here, to this helpful community, and go about our business doing other things. I knew, from past posts, that people here would provide an answer as they interpret the relevant material and then provide a link to said materials.

In other words... You came here because you were busy and did not want to do the leg work hoping someone would just reply with relevant citations for your viewing.

Not that I am heavily criticing you since this forum is here to help people and awnser questions but some may be more helpful if they feel an individual gave there best effort prior to posting. Not only does it keep the forums cleaner, it can help build a better community, more thought out, informative and overall better discussion.

Wolfebane

In other words... You came here because you were busy and did not want to do the leg work hoping someone would just reply with relevant citations for your viewing.

Not that I am heavily criticing you since this forum is here to help people and awnser questions but some may be more helpful if they feel an individual gave there best effort prior to posting. Not only does it keep the forums cleaner, it can help build a better community, more thought out, informative and overall better discussion.

I slapped it up here because we were busy working. We just wanted to post it here and come back later to check back and go from there and figure it out. I have never seen this bad of a reaction to anyone asking a question here, this is ******* ridiculous.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I slapped it up here because we were busy working. We just wanted to post it here and come back later to check back and go from there and figure it out. I have never seen this bad of a reaction to anyone asking a question here, this is ******* ridiculous.

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers that much. I was simply pointing out that a more thought out and investigated question can help out the community and improves the discussion more so than a question posted out of a quick thought. Had you not mentioned that you posted the question for others to give you cites because you didn't have time, I wouldn't of said anything at all.