• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just wanted to know if my rights were truly violated Cincinnati Ohio

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Why would an officer write a report confessing that he violated your rights?

The 911 tape will reveal that dispatchers are also not properly trained.

MyWifeSaidYes

And why do I have a sudden urge to take my kids, including the open carrying 14-year-old, to a park tomorrow?

So, what IS there to do at Woodland Mound Park?

Magickallife

theres a huge amount of trails, nature center, (though the nature center I believe falls under having to have a ccw, or they may be posting up no gun sign-age soon for their buildings) all outdoors there are like 4 or 5 playground type settings with different things, including a water park for kids (really inexpensive and very nice for the price) theres places to grill out, theres a whole frisbee golf course there also, i really enjoy the trails....

papa bear

sounds a lot like they are trying to kick this under the rug by patting you on the head. they violated your rights the same as if they raided your house, or ... actually i can't come up with anything more violating. don't let them get away with it

Magickallife

What, exactly, did you ask for?

To Whom It May Concern:

OPEN RECORDS REQUEST:

I am formally Requesting an Open Records Request for the Woodland Mound Incident on Tuesday June 12th 2012, Approximate 3pm.

I would Like Included in this request the following information:

A
Copy of the 911 call made around 3pm Tuesday the 12th June 2012 "alleged man with a gun" Woodland Mound Park .

B.
Complete Police Report from Hamilton County Sheriff Department

C.
Complete Incident Report from Hamilton County Park Rangers

D.
Any and all Incidents of negativity or miss-conduct involving either of the following:

D1- Deputy Larry D. Powers #395 Hamilton County Sheriff.

D2- Nathan Zimmerman Hamilton County Park Ranger.

RE: Incident at Woodland Mound Park 6/12

Hide Details
Greg Grimm

Message flagged Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:27 PM
No problem, I appreciate your response.

I will be forwarding you the report/memo.

Best regards,

Lt.Grimm

Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:09 PM
To: Greg Grimm
Subject: Re: Incident at Woodland Mound Park 6/12

Thank you Sir, for your important part in the process of informing Law Enforcement and Citizens, on becoming more aware of legal rights with open carry, Also if you would please send me a copy of the ""Force Wide" memo being sent to all Rangers, and of the incident report involving this situation, thanks so much. This really means a lot to not only myself but all the members of the open carry scene and open carry organisations not only local and statewide but nation wide..

Last edited:

Magickallife

Mr.

I spoke with you on the phone yesterday regarding your contact with a Park District Ranger at Woodland Mound on June 12,2012. I would like to update you on some steps we have taken on our end to address the situation. I met with the staff of Ranger Supervisors collectively to review the incident. Supervisors were briefed on the legalities of Open Carry and the scenario likely to occur when a park visitor makes a report of a subject in possession of an open carry firearm. I addressed the firearms handling concern with our department firearms instructor and recommended a block of instruction for in-service training to educate officers on proper “unloading” of firearms of various makes/models and action types. I relayed the information you provided regarding planned group outings scheduled for Woodland Mound and other Hamilton County Park District venues.

I would like to serve as a point of contact for future correspondence. Please feel free to contact me at Ranger Headquarters at (513) 521-3980 or via email

Thank you for your input,

Lt.Greg Grimm
Patrol Supervisor
Hamilton County Park District Rangers

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
M,

It looks like you have moved forward by leaps and bounds - CONGRATULATIONS.

Although what you've received/been told is not comprehensive (since there is vagueness on Terry stops, and lack of mention of the inapplicable nature of disorderly conduct/inducing panic charges, etc.), it is a great, great start.

Also, the documentation you receive can become part of an effort being worked on to address issues with Cincinnati PD and other Hamilton County municipalities.

Once again, nice work, and keep us posted.

Last edited:

F350

UPDATE:

So far the district supervisor for Hamilton County Sheriffs', a Lt., has promised to send out memos to all his sheriffs' on the open carry legality and how to handle future situations, aHe also stated he will send me a copy of it as well. He agreed that I was doing nothing illegal, I was humiliated for no reason, he stated there was no file open and no police report made, and his Deputy would be made to apologise personally in person to me and my wife, for the humiliation of being at gun point drawn up against a wall, and illegally detained, illegally searched and illegally seized my firearm. He furthermore told me to get a copy of the 911 call I have to call his department of records, which I will do promptly tomorrow when they open at 8am.

As for the Hamilton County Park Rangers, there Lt. also will be sending out a memo to all rangers and sending me a copy of it as well. Also to my knowledge there is no incident report or record of the incident other than a 911 call, which I am awaiting to get ahold of the records department tomorrow.

SO.... our fine JBT unlawfully humiliates you in public and gets to do a " Auh shuckie gezzzzzz; my bad I'm sorry" in private?????

If it were me (and I am a vengeful unforgiving old @hole) and I were willing accept an apology: I would demand the apology be at the same time and day of the week, at the same location with a stage and sound system, with press invited; JBT would have to explain what he did, why it was wrong and then issue his apology.

Magickallife

What more can I do at this point??? im just waiting for a copy of a 911 call, and everything else. I was suppose to receive the audio copy via email today because i spoke with a lady from Hamilton County Sherrif Dept. that refused to give her name but gave me her operator #27 instead, she stated she would send a audio copy via email to me today and took down my email address. For some unknown reason it was never sent........

I did receive an email from Hamilton County Parks, stating that I will have to wait till sometime next week and everything I requested will be available to me....

On the bright side Hamilton County Parks has sent me an email:

RE: RECORDS REQUEST FW: ATTN: Park Rangers HQ - Civil Rights Violation

Hide Details
Cheryl Korn

TO:
@yahoo.com
Message flagged Friday, June 15, 2012 3:51 PM
Mr.

I want to confirm receipt of your email. I have received your record request and will contact you next week when the documents have been compiled.

Cheryl Korn
Human Resources Manager
Hamilton County Park District

Last edited:

VW_Factor

UPDATE:

So far the district supervisor for Hamilton County Sheriffs', a Lt., has promised to send out memos to all his sheriffs' on the open carry legality and how to handle future situations, aHe also stated he will send me a copy of it as well. He agreed that I was doing nothing illegal, I was humiliated for no reason, he stated there was no file open and no police report made, and his Deputy would be made to apologise personally in person to me and my wife, for the humiliation of being at gun point drawn up against a wall, and illegally detained, illegally searched and illegally seized my firearm. He furthermore told me to get a copy of the 911 call I have to call his department of records, which I will do promptly tomorrow when they open at 8am.

As for the Hamilton County Park Rangers, there Lt. also will be sending out a memo to all rangers and sending me a copy of it as well. Also to my knowledge there is no incident report or record of the incident other than a 911 call, which I am awaiting to get ahold of the records department tomorrow.

I am only quoting this to point something out.

They lied to you. There are reports. I was told the same thing while making FOIA requests for records. Repeatedly I was told by the clerk on the phone, I will do "blah blah" when I receive the written request, but I'm telling you, there were no records made, etc.

Made the request, got tons of records and audio, video.

Do not buy their lie. Request the information. LEO's make records of pretty much everything that they end up doing through-out the day. Including your illegal detainment.

Magickallife

haha so it does have my email and name in it o well ive got nothing to hide, lol

Here is the 911 call that was made, even though the officers told me it was a concerned mother of children, lol.. definately a man, most likely a staff employee there...

nevermind it is not a valid file type it is a .wav so ill have to render it into another format in a day or so when i get time

half_life1052

In case someone needs this

There are open source tools available to convert between different audio/video formats out there. They come at no cost and actually are quite good. Here is one for the Windows platform (Win7 supported) http://winff.org/html_new/

RCall

I Received the 911 call, and I also received the dispatchers communications sheet which outlines every communication between officers and dispatchers, they left a few things out im sure, and nothing is word for word, its just vague View attachment 8633

As a police scanner hobbyist/enthusiast let me tell you that the paper you have is not all you want from the dispatch standpoint. All you got was the times the officers were assigned the call went on scene and other misc. stuff. If I were you I would go after the dispatch audio, they record all of it.

After a quick scan of the setup of the Hamilton County trunked radio system it looks like both the sheriffs dept. and the park rangers are dispatched from the same location but possibly a different dispatch channel. If you do wish to obtain the audio from the dispatch make sure you specify that you want both dispatches if they are on different channels, also ask them for any recordings of any car to car channels or tactical channels as they call them. In certain instances the first on scene officer will give a size up to other responding officers and give up information they may not want you to know was said.

This will be word for word!

Sigger

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA
Most (if not all) of the Hamilton county LEOs dispatch from the Hamilton County Communications Center operated by the Sheriff. I've put copies of the generic records requests forms that I use on my web server. Please see:
http://www.kingsknight.org/publicrecordsrequest.zip

These letters are made 'generic' so you will have to carefully read through to find the spots that you need to personalize.

For reference, also see http://www.kingsknight.org/OCPacket.zip

Keep up the good work amigos!