• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC trip with my son to Wal-mart

mobiushky

I didn't want to hijack M-Taliesins thread, so I decided to post my own. I took my 9 yr old with me to Wal-mart in Parker last night to do some standard grocery shopping. I hadn't had time to change from work, so I was still dressed in business casual. Polo type shirt and dress pants. Anyway, first place I went was the ammo counter. It's become a ritual for me now to just go straight to the desk and check to see if they have any target ammo in stock. They run out so fast it's ridiculous. But at $20 for 100 rounds it's really hard to beat the price. Anyway, they did have some, so I decided to buy 200 more rounds. As the guy was picking it up, he was saying that he has people who come in every day just to check on ammo. He never knows when the shipment is coming in, so he told me I should buy it if I see it cause you never know when it will be back. About that time he noticed my handgun. Now I'll admit, in my work clothes and because I have a Glock in a Kydex holster, I can easily be mistaken for some kind of LEO. It's not intentional. Anyway he looks down and says to me "Glock?" I said yeah. He asked "9mm" I said yeah, it's a 19. His eyes lit up, "Oh that the same one I have!" So all of a sudden we're talking Glocks and cleaning and what he uses etc.

Well after talking for a good 5 minutes, he asked if I had more shopping to do. I told him I did. So he handed me the 2 boxes and says, "you know you can just pay for this up front." I asked, are you sure? "He said yeah, some stores make us ring you here at the desk, but we don't. And I trust you." Check one for a positive example of OC.

So we went about our shopping. Have you ever seen a guy that you just knew was carrying concealed? Not a BG, a normal guy but somehow you just knew. Well there was an older gentlemen there who was very friendly and talkative to the workers that I just knew.

As we were checking out at the front, that same guy walked past on his way out and stopped. Ok, I knew he was coming over to me. I wasn't worried or anything cause I didn't get that "here we go" vibe. He walked over and very quietly asked me "Officer, don't you feel a little naked having your gun out like that?" I said "I'm actually not a police officer." He looked quizzical and said "I didn't know it was legal to carry that way." I explained a little, but you know some times people like that are really talkative and it's tough to keep up... Anyway he suddenly asked "Well you are going to get a permit right? To carry concealed." I said, oh yeah, but that's not the point. Even if I have a CCW permit I'm not required to conceal. So then he starts talking about how he just worries about people (particularly police) who have their guns on their side where someone could take it from them. I said, I understand that but I take certain small steps to minimize that chance. Always try to keep my right hip away from other people in line, resting my elbow on the top of the gun, that kind of thing. Then suddenly he goes, "I see, that's good. I concealed carry and I'm just not sure I'd feel safe." Bingo!!! Told you I could just tell! Anyway, he mentioned one of the standard lines about open carry makes you a target in an assault. And that's when it hit me.

You know, maybe OC does make me a target. Maybe a guy runs into the store and starts shooting and sees my gun. And goes for me. I'm ok with that. Really. I'd rather that crazed lunatic focus on me than my 9yr or my wife or that lady over there or her 3yr old or whatever. If my being a focus takes him off track long enough to get that family of 4 out the door, I'm ok with that. Then again, maybe he sees that gun and decides today's not the day. Either case, maybe some lives were saved. I'm ok with that.

Anyway, we talked a little and he left. On the way out the door he was still getting into his car in the handicapped area. He said it was nice to talk to us and introduced himself and asked my son his name. I told him to have a good day and he said he really appreciated taking time to talk to him.

Overall it was a VERY positive experience. And my son couldn't WAIT to get home and tell my wife all about it. (He's becoming a gun guy, little tear rolling down my cheek...LOL!!!)

M-Taliesin

If my being a focus takes him off track long enough to get that family of 4 out the door, I'm ok with that. Then again, maybe he sees that gun and decides today's not the day. Either case, maybe some lives were saved. I'm ok with that.

Howdy Amigo!
Wow! Terrific story and I enjoyed the whole thing. It was well described and I felt like I was right there with you!
But more than that, your answer to OC makes you a target was marvelous. Probably the best comeback to that one I've seen yet.
Outstanding job of representing OC in Parker. You done us all proud!

Thanks for sharing your story.
Nothing like a positive story to start out the day!
Well done amigo! Well done indeed.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mobiushky

Howdy Amigo!
Wow! Terrific story and I enjoyed the whole thing. It was well described and I felt like I was right there with you!
But more than that, your answer to OC makes you a target was marvelous. Probably the best comeback to that one I've seen yet.
Outstanding job of representing OC in Parker. You done us all proud!

Thanks for sharing your story.
Nothing like a positive story to start out the day!
Well done amigo! Well done indeed.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Thanks. It's a pleasure to be a part of the "cause" if you will. And I take it very seriously (even if I joke a bit).

cch10000

Thats great to hear about the Parker Walmart. I have OCed in Elizabeth and CR but hadn't made it to Parker yet. Will probably be up there today, letcha know how good it goes.

mobiushky

Thats great to hear about the Parker Walmart. I have OCed in Elizabeth and CR but hadn't made it to Parker yet. Will probably be up there today, letcha know how good it goes.

The guy who helped me at that ammo counter was a really nice guy. Older gentlemen, I say that not to insult, but to distinguish against some of the 20'ish guys there. I wish I had thought to get his name at the time, but I forgot.

And I have OC'd in Parker Wal-mart about every third day for the last 2 weeks. Not a problem.

Last edited:

Keens

Great post! I shop regulary at both the Parker and Elizabeth Walmarts and OC at both locations. I stop in the Parker location at least once a week on my way home from work to get a few things. We do our weekly grocery shopping at the Elizabeth location as its less crowded and hectic there. When I walk into any Walmart, I too head straight for the sporting goods department to check out ammo prices. Their ammo shipments are spotty at both locations, they tend to run out of the common calibers as soon as they get them, sometimes they have it when I visit, other times they are completely out. The older gentleman at the ammo counter is very friendly, he usually just hands me the ammo and says I can go pay at the front with my other purchases. The elizabeth one i usually have to pay at the sporting goods counter. I've never had any issues OC'ing at Walmart. Hope to see you there sometime!Keens