• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham open carry protest trending on MSN

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
the author was very friendly and spent quit a while there. this article was great as well:
http://troy.patch.com/articles/open...gham-park-to-support-troy-teen#photo-10283051
the author of it was really nice and she's a gun owner!

Yep, she has a pistol and said that she should have worn it... OC... to the event. She also was inquiring where a good place would be to take the training for her CPL. However, she did reluctantly state that she would probably CC rather than OC. My response was that it's all "babysteps"... and once she gets the CPL she may change her mind. She WAS interested in the fact that by OCing, she could carry the pistol in most of the CC prohibited areas. ;)

PDinDetroit

“A young man, walking the streets of Birmingham where large numbers of young people congregate well after dark with no legitimate stated reason for transporting a loaded weapon means the defendant could only have been walking with the gun in that position so that people would see it. It could only been his intent that other pedestrians and motorists should see the gun, which is tantamount to brandishing the weapon within the common usage of that term.”

“Defendant never stated to police that he was engaged in any legitimate activity with the gun. He never said he was hunting, or had just purchased the gun and was transporting it home, or that he had just had it serviced, or that he was taking the gun to be repaired, or that he was engaged in target practice,” she writes.

Guess she has never heard that carrying a firearm for Self-Protection is a legitimate activity. Furthermore, I guess she has never heard that Carrying a Firearm can be seen as a Political Statement and therefore is Protected as Free Speech. Maybe someone should forward The April 2009 LEAF Newsletter to Mary Kucharek (the prosecuting attorney):

http://www.mml.org/insurance/shared/publications/leaf_newsletter/2009_04.pdf

Michigander

“The right to keep and bear arms is not absolute for all persons and under all conditions and circumstances,” Kucharek writes. “Neither does the Second Amendment grant a person some mysterious immunity from any reasonable inquiry by law enforcement in asserting its legitimate desire to maintain the peace and protect the public.”

In 2008, we had a meeting in Berkley, discussing course of action for this community. dougwg, to his lasting credit, predicted it'd be 5 years before we'd be ready to take on the long gun issue. 5 years later, or perhaps 4, depending on how you want to count, the fascinating thing is not only that he was right, but that the line of bull **** remains the same from the antis, even after all we've accomplished with getting the public at large to understand the issues we've brought to light.

In terms of the brandishing charge, we've discussed this in the past, well before this case began, and I do believe that the things he may or may not have said during the stop will be what sinks or saves him. Cops, or perhaps in some cases pigs would be a better term, can be all together too good and leading a victim into saying something they didn't in any way mean, but will have a hell of a hard time taking back in court. Contrary to what this bill of rights hater kucharek says, shutting up with the cops is a very good and very important thing.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Okay here is where her argument falls apart. On June 11th 2012 approx. 30 armed people gathered with full knowledge of the police and atleast half had the exact same items slung on their shoulders that generated the brandishing charge against mr. Combs. Yet not one of them was asked a single question by the police as they walked about town and then to the police station / city hall. So how could what he did be called bradishing?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

B

Bikenut

My opinion...

To an anti gunner just seeing a gun is offensive.. and anything offensive must be an ostentatious "in their face" intentional intimidating insult.

Therefor... it must be "brandishing" because, they are personally intimidated, insulted, and offended.

And because it is a personal affront to the anti gunners fragile elitist ego... the intent of the person carrying the gun is immaterial and unimportant. What is of paramount importance is the anti gunner is................... insulted and offended.

Egad..... just that small peek into the anti gunner perspective gave me a headache..........

Please allow me to quote my own signature line. Please note how the bold parts make their own statement.

Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
The Judge will decide (Wed.) 6/20/2012 if the case goes forward or not...

48th District Court
4280 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

Does anyone know when the hearing starts tomorrow? I would like to attend but not waste the entire day as the court hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Thanks for any info.

- G9OS

CoonDog

CoonDog

Looks like it's still going forward, "Rifle-Carrying Teen Going to Trial After Judge Denies Motion to Dismiss Birmingham Case ".

http://birmingham.patch.com/article...udge-denies-motion-to-dismiss-birmingham-case

Sean Combs, the Troy 18-year-old arrested in April after he was found carrying a loaded rifle through downtown Birmingham, will be taking his case to trial.

At an evidentiary hearing Wednesday at 48th District Court, Judge Marc Barron denied a motion to dismiss the three charges against Combs, submitted by his attorney James Makowski.

Barron set a jury pre-trial for 1:30 p.m. July 9, with the jury trial set to begin at 8:30 a.m. July 11.

ETA: Put this date, 7/11, on your calendar, it's the same date as the CADL vs MOC appeal.

Last edited:

HKcarrier

Small_Arms_Collector

Last edited:

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
The city council said it's in the court system now so it's out of their hands.

I say BS.

It's in the city prosecutors hands and his boss IS THE CITY COUNCIL.

Pressure the city council to get the prosecutor to DROP THE CHARGES!