Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Nonresident Open Carry in Colorado ?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    2

    Nonresident Open Carry in Colorado ?

    I plan on traveling by automobile from Texas to Colorado in July. I was wondering the legality of carrying a handgun openly in Colorado by a nonresident. I do have a Texas CHL.

    I also plan on transporting some long guns for target practice and hunting some of the small game that has open season in July.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466
    Since Colorado's OC is by omission, ie, it's not prohibited therefore it's legal, it doesn't matter whether you're a CO resident or not.

    Usual restrictions apply though: city and county of denver, schools, fed buildings,

  3. #3
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by vonfilm View Post
    I plan on traveling by automobile from Texas to Colorado in July. I was wondering the legality of carrying a handgun openly in Colorado by a nonresident. I do have a Texas CHL.

    I also plan on transporting some long guns for target practice and hunting some of the small game that has open season in July.
    Since I'm lurking here anyway...

    There is no requirement for a permit to open carry in the state of Colorado. You can openly carry anywhere in the state with the following exceptions:

    Federal buildings where it is already banned
    City and county of Denver (Anywhere in city limits)
    Schools
    Places where security is set up (ie metal detectors) to prevent guns entering
    and public transportation facilities

    State laws provides that municipalities may have open carry based ordinances but, in order to be legal, they have to post signs to that effect at every public entrance to a facility.

    Generally OC is allowed anywhere outside Denver City limits (also county)

    As for transporting, the State Constitution makes it legal to carry and handgun in any condition within your car without requiring a permit. Concealed or otherwise, loaded or not does not matter. You can carry a handgun in your car any way you want. Rifles and Shotguns are a little different. You can carry them, but they must be unloaded. That's a hunting issue. You can't hunt from your car unless you have a handicapped permit.

    Withing Denver city/county limits, you are not allowed to OC and since you are a non-resident you are not allowed to CC. Colorado state does not recognize any other state permits at all.

    Hope that helps. And if I've missed anything, there are plenty here who will fill in blanks.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Franktown,CO
    Posts
    104
    You left out one other prohibited place

    OC is not allowed in State parks it is allowed in Natioal parks tho

    If you a CCW you can cary concealed in a State park

    CH

  5. #5
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by cch10000 View Post
    You left out one other prohibited place

    OC is not allowed in State parks it is allowed in Natioal parks tho

    If you a CCW you can cary concealed in a State park

    CH
    Question though. Is Loveland lake a state or national park? Because the case at the top of the colorado page deals with an OC in Loveland Lake area. I can't find the State Parks requirement in the laws, but if it's posted at the park then you go by the posting.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Franktown,CO
    Posts
    104
    It is a City owned park and I have no knowledge on thier rules and regs. I would assume it would be dictated by the City just as CR does, you can not carry in City owned property in CR.

  7. #7
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by cch10000 View Post
    It is a City owned park and I have no knowledge on thier rules and regs. I would assume it would be dictated by the City just as CR does, you can not carry in City owned property in CR.
    True, so long as there are posted signs at every public entrance. That's the way the C.R.S. reads. CR can have an ordinance, but it order for it to have weight, they must post a sign at every public entrance to every facility that they own. My guess is, that's rare at a park, but it's something to be aware of.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    toledo oh
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by vonfilm View Post
    I plan on traveling by automobile from Texas to Colorado in July. I was wondering the legality of carrying a handgun openly in Colorado by a nonresident. I do have a Texas CHL.

    I also plan on transporting some long guns for target practice and hunting some of the small game that has open season in July.
    Thank you for asking this questio, before I did because I was goin to come there to colorado for the pokes peak rally but me and my buddy were gonna hike up a different mountain and camp and take pixtures from afar and Im goin to take my gun in case we were attacked by a cougar or something thanks for answering our questions guys

  9. #9
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    Colorado state does not recognize any other state permits at all.
    Not true AT ALL. Colorado does recognize RESIDENT permits from AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NH, NC, ND, NE, NM, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WI, WY. If he was a TX resident with a Utah permit no, he could not CC in CO. But since he is a TX resident with a TX permit he is good to go.


    http://handgunlaw.us/

  10. #10
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by cch10000 View Post
    You left out one other prohibited place

    OC is not allowed in State parks
    Cite please. I do not believe this to be the case.

  11. #11
    Regular Member mobiushky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alaska (ex-Colorado)
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Not true AT ALL. Colorado does recognize RESIDENT permits from AK, AL, AR, AZ, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NH, NC, ND, NE, NM, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WI, WY. If he was a TX resident with a Utah permit no, he could not CC in CO. But since he is a TX resident with a TX permit he is good to go.


    http://handgunlaw.us/
    Thank you, I must have misunderstood what the map meant by resident permit only. So what that means though is that Colorado does not recognize the "multi-state" permits that you can get? Is that correct?

  12. #12
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    Thank you, I must have misunderstood what the map meant by resident permit only. So what that means though is that Colorado does not recognize the "multi-state" permits that you can get? Is that correct?
    Say I lived in SC and had a SC permit and a PA permit. CO does not honor SC permits but does honor PA permits. I still couldn't CC in CO with my PA permit because I am not a resident of PA.

    For a non-Colorado resident to be able to CC in Colorado, you have to be a resident of the state that issued the permit.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Franktown,CO
    Posts
    104
    #106(a) It shall be unlawful:

    1. To possess, carry or discharge explosives, firearms and/or other weapons on parks and outdoor recreation lands or waters in any manner that violates Title 18, CRS, or any other appplicable law. The lawful carry of concealed handguns by persons in possession of a valid concealed handgun permit, together with valid photo identification, is permitted....

    I'm open to being wrong on this one but this is what I have found as well as other threads on this forum that say the same

    Perhaps a new thread should be started on this so we don't hijack this one EH?

    ch

  14. #14
    Regular Member Kingfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by cch10000 View Post
    #106(a) It shall be unlawful:

    1. To possess, carry or discharge explosives, firearms and/or other weapons on parks and outdoor recreation lands or waters in any manner that violates Title 18, CRS, or any other appplicable law. The lawful carry of concealed handguns by persons in possession of a valid concealed handgun permit, together with valid photo identification, is permitted....

    I'm open to being wrong on this one but this is what I have found as well as other threads on this forum that say the same

    Perhaps a new thread should be started on this so we don't hijack this one EH?

    ch
    How does carrying a holstered handgun "violate(s) Title 18, CRS, or any other appplicable law"?

  15. #15
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Cite please. I do not believe this to be the case.
    OC is perfectly legal in CO State parks. Town or county owned may bar it, as does Denver, but the state does not.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Franktown,CO
    Posts
    104
    Then I stand corrected and educated, thanks for correcting my mis-info, just the way I read it.

    Thanks again
    ch

  17. #17
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    Since I'm lurking here anyway...


    Rifles and Shotguns are a little different. You can carry them, but they must be unloaded.
    Withing Denver city/county limits, you are not allowed to OC and since you are a non-resident you are not allowed to CC.
    Howdy Pardner!
    Just a couple of corrections....
    A rifle or shotgun can be carried loaded, so long as there is not a round in the chamber.
    While one cannot OC in Denver city/county, our friend from Texas is from a reciprocity state and his permit would be valid for CC in Denver.
    Likewise, Coloradoans can CC in Texas, but not OC as OC is not lawful in Texas. Folks in rural areas do it, but at their peril.

    Here is a real good link for reciprocity information:
    http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/Reciprocity.html

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Last edited by M-Taliesin; 06-14-2012 at 10:52 AM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Pardner!
    Just a couple of corrections....
    A rifle or shotgun can be carried loaded, so long as there is not a round in the chamber.
    While one cannot OC in Denver city/county, our friend from Texas is from a reciprocity state and his permit would be valid for CC in Denver.
    Likewise, Coloradoans can CC in Texas, but not OC as OC is not lawful in Texas. Folks in rural areas do it, but at their peril.

    Here is a real good link for reciprocity information:
    http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/Reciprocity.html

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    I'm not aware of any statute except CRS 33-6-125 which regulates the condition of a long arm. That law only regulates the long arm's chamber while it's being transported in or on a motor vehicle, and the prescribed punishment basically makes that violating that law a misdemeanor traffic offense.

    It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. Any person in possession or in control of a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle shall allow any peace officer, as defined in section 33-1-102 (32), who is empowered and acting under the authority granted in section 33-6-101 to enforce articles 1 to 6 of this title to inspect the chamber of any rifle or shotgun in the motor vehicle. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •