• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

west bend library - weapons ban lifted

bmwguy11

Last night the west bend library board voted unanimously to repeal the "no weapons signs" and policy at the library. Chalk one up for the good guys.

bmwguy11

That's excellent news! Did you have anything to do with that decision?

Indeed I am on the board. I Also take seriously the oath I made to uphold the US and State Constitution when I was chosen for the board. That means all amendments, not just the first one.

The library is representative of and its existence hinges upon the first amendment. Yet what kind of message does that send if the library decides it doesn't need to hold up all other equally important amendments?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I had it put on the agenda and helped make the argument to repeal the policy.
http://activepaper.olivesoftware.co...MDAxMDU=&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom

Thank you for your hard work....all of you!

This part is interesting:

"When contacted by the Daily News on Tuesday night, Krochalk said he resigned because he felt the mayor’s citizen appointments had become too politicized. “Alderman Turner, with his gun issue, has basically taken over the Library Board. I just don’t want to be part of that,” Krochalk said.

Before Tuesday’s vote, Chamberlain said he personally opposed the state’s new concealed-carry law but did not want the board spending time debating the issue. “We have too many things on our agenda to worry about putting up a sign,” he said. "

Aturner

Mr. Krochalk is incorrect that it is my gun issue. It was the library board who made it an issue by posting last year, despite the clear and unanimous decision to not post any city building by the duly elected common council of West Bend.

bmwguy11

This part is interesting:

"When contacted by the Daily News on Tuesday night, Krochalk said he resigned because he felt the mayor’s citizen appointments had become too politicized. “Alderman Turner, with his gun issue, has basically taken over the Library Board. I just don’t want to be part of that,” Krochalk said.

I would love to ask Mr. Krochalk why he failed to uphold his oath when he took the library board trustee position, as his vote on the issue last year went against both the state and US constitution.

I also find it insulting that Mr. Krochalk insinuates that I am a "one trick pony" so to speak, and there as a "politicized" appointment. It's baseless sour-grapes conjecture if you ask me.

MKEgal

bmwguy11 said:
Last night the west bend library board voted unanimously to repeal the "no weapons signs" and policy at the library. Chalk one up for the good guys.
Picture me smiling. :)

article said:
In November, the board’s members, most of whom are no longer on the board, voted 5-2 to post the West Bend Community Memorial Library as a no-gun zone.
D'ya think maybe that had anything to do with them not being in control any more?

GreenCountyPete

very interesting , our library is the only building in town posted , the city had decided not to post was my understanding , but apparently our library board decided to , i will have to find out how people get on the library board , i don't think there is an election for it as i have been to the polls for every election for 8 years and don't recall having voted for library board

our library was not posted Nov thru May , there where no issues to my knowledge then a sign at each door appeared in May

can i ask you what points you presented?

Aturner

Our library board members serve three year terms and the names are submitted by the mayor for consideration and approval by the common council. In April I voted against three of the anti-gun members whose terms had ended and were being submitted for a new term. One was not approved by the council, the other two were. One has since resigned, as did another member who had voted to post the library last year. The mayor has since submitted two new members, as well as my own appointment, all of whom were approved by the council. The vote to end the posting policy was unanimous on Tuesday.

I was interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel today, they are doing a story that will appear in tomorrow's paper. I'm interested to see how they spin it.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I was interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel today, they are doing a story that will appear in tomorrow's paper. I'm interested to see how they spin it.
My comment.

"It is odd that the gun-banner librarians think the Bill of Rights a Chinese menu of items to selected and rejected on personal whims.

Ms. Walker errs in stating that guns are "strictly banned from schools." The Federal Guns Free School Zones Act of 1990 was found unconstitutional and the current federal law is cobbled together from bits and pieces in a sly attempt to pass muster. The state implementation is full of exceptions and details and is being whittled away.

I'd rather my daughter, now doctor, have been exposed to guns at school age than the manure sold by base chapsmen's tongue as literature post-modern, but there is that First Amendment!

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth. Bless the Bitter Clingers."

bmwguy11

Oh this should be interesting. What did they say the interview was for? I'm going to send an LTE response to the daily news once the anti-2a people get done with their nonsense about why they feel it's ok to cherry pick the amendments we follow.

bmwguy11

I read the article. It's your typical nonsense. She even went so far as to say that a ban on concealed carry isn't unconstitutional. The rest of it is all just opinion devoid of any fact or common sense. I also like how she paints our library board as "lock step conservatives" because of one vote. If she had been to the meeting she would have seen that we had disagreements on several items and issues.

In addition, we voted to allow the "peace seekers of Washington county" use our library grounds for a parade and gathering. Even though that group is anti-2a and had events here with WAVE trying to convince businesses to ban weapons. But they have every right to exercise their first amendment and it would be hypocritical of us to deny them that.

Last edited: