• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What???????

OC for ME

A right to drive a car?
Of course you have the right to drive a car, if it is your car. Now, to drive your car on any property other than yours is now a privilege. Though, these days, it seems that driving is treated/looked upon as a right.

No big deal.

TyGuy

Of course you have the right to drive a car, if it is your car. Now, to drive your car on any property other than yours is now a privilege. Though, these days, it seems that driving is treated/looked upon as a right.

No big deal.

Ok, I'll give you that. I figured that much like limiting carrying a firearm on your own property as being too limited I understood "driving a car" to mean driving it on public roads. My bad. I should parse words more carefully.

berettabone

Banned
You were the one that started a conversation criticizing the "why" of some people who carry.

Reading is fundamental.........you asked me to clarify your question, and I did.....other than that, it seems certain people like to veer off of the main question right away, and start something else...that's fine.....so what, if I brought to attention, the fact that there are too many jagbags carrying firearms around, that have no business doing so...it's an opinion, and I can see, that no one wants to respect someone elses opinion.I thought that I could find a site that had people who could answer a simple question, and not turn it into a free fer all.......guess I was wrong...I didn't realize that answering a simple question, was going to be so tough for some. Adeau, and good shooting.

Law abider

Some people like to carry because it gives them a feeling of power...I have seen people who carry, that don't know the first thing about firearms, and have never even fired the tool that they are carrying(believe it or not). I have met people at the range, who couldn't, or did not know how, to disassemble their firearm for cleaning. I have seen people purchasing firearms at stores, that obtained a CCW, that never fired a handgun in their life, and probably do not intend to become proficient with it...they just want to have it, and carry it, because they think that it may benefit them at some point....these are the people that bother me, and I really don't want to be around them. That's what I mean by they carry just because they can......

Not me. I have put off buying simply for that reason. I have found a gunshop in Minneapolis that rents out guns and PP. They also sell targets. I need to fire several hansguns to see which one I can hold and control. I may need to try several times. It is too bad that some out there choose to carry without handeling multiple handguns. Ialso plan to get gun training once I purchase a handgun. One mistake and they'll or I could end up in the slammer. The gun control crowd loves to hear about that.

MKEgal

berettabone said:
Does it REALLY matter to you what I think?
No. Should it?

I started out with a simple thread question.
Which has been asked by many new people before you.
As you can tell from my sig, I like Glocks.
I like them because they're simple & reliable.
I'm not going to list what I used to own... mostly lost in a tragic kayaking accident on Lake Michigan anyway.

Just because something is a right, doesn't make it right, when it threatens the safety of others.
...People that walk around with firearms, that do not have a clue, we all pay for it.
Everyone has the right to drive an automobile, but first you must get some training, and get a license, otherwise, we would have all sorts of people driving around
Show us the multitude of problems in the states which don't impose government interference on the right to carry, openly or otherwise... problems which could have been solved by citizens having some sort of training.

And how's that training thing working out for drivers? Stops DUI, stops road rage, stops people running stop lights... No?

If you are going to carry a firearm, you should be schooled enough to NOT make flagrant firearm mistakes.
...Just because something is a right, doesn't mean that you can exercise that right, and affect others in it's [sic] exercise.
If you are going to speak or write, you should be schooled enough to NOT make flagrant mistakes of English usage.
People should get at least a 700 on the written English section of the SAT before being allowed to post in a public forum or write their elected representatives.
Seems pretty silly, doesn't it?
[Bolded for emphasis to make sure people understand my intent.]
What other rights would you like to turn into government-controlled privileges?

You have the right of free speech, but if you go up into someone's face screaming and yelling, is that free speech still your right?
Yes.
You're abusing it & committing a crime*, but freedom of speech is still a Constitutionally protected civil right.
* disorderly conduct, possibly assault

Last edited:

fadepoint89

Glock 23 .40 in a serpa sportster own holster and as soon as I get my CCL I'll be carrying it in my Galco IWB kydex holster. Woo!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

fadepoint89

Glock 23 .40 in a serpa sportster OWB holster and as soon as I get my CCL I'll be carrying it in my Galco IWB kydex holster. Woo!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

berettabone

Banned
No. Should it?

Which has been asked by many new people before you.
As you can tell from my sig, I like Glocks.
I like them because they're simple & reliable.
I'm not going to list what I used to own... mostly lost in a tragic kayaking accident on Lake Michigan anyway.

Show us the multitude of problems in the states which don't impose government interference on the right to carry, openly or otherwise... problems which could have been solved by citizens having some sort of training.

If you are going to speak or write, you should be schooled enough to NOT make flagrant mistakes of English usage.
People should get at least a 700 on the SAT before being allowed to post in a public forum or write their elected representatives.
Seems pretty silly, doesn't it?
What other rights would you like to turn into government-controlled privileges?

Yes.
You're abusing it & committing a crime*, but freedom of speech is still a Constitutionally protected civil right.
* disorderly conduct, possibly assault

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack / inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

TyGuy

I'm done with the idiots...hey MKEGAL.......shut the **** up.........

Ummmm, what? I think her comments about the SAT were sarcastic saying that we don't require people to pass some sort of training/testing before exercising their First Ammendment rights.

We also don't require tests/training to go to church, etc....

I could be wrong about her intentions, but that's how I read it.

Last edited:

TyGuy

I'm not a Brony, but I know what they are and that they exist. I knew there was a rainbow one. I guess it's not technically a unicorn, so it probably wasn't the most appropriate response. Oh well. Back to the discussion at hand.

TyGuy

Which one's that, you mean the elitism of the SAT hierarchy? Some here apparently think that a 700 SAT is adequate for public comment.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/pdf/ps/frey.pdf establishes the correlation with IQ.
TLDR

Again, and MKEgal can comment here, I think she was pointing out that we don't require licenses, training, etc... for other Constiutionally protected rights instead of suggesting a minimum score for public discourse Hyperbolae?