• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What???????

BigDeeeeeeee

Some people like to carry because it gives them a feeling of power...I have seen people who carry, that don't know the first thing about firearms, and have never even fired the tool that they are carrying(believe it or not). I have met people at the range, who couldn't, or did not know how, to disassemble their firearm for cleaning. I have seen people purchasing firearms at stores, that obtained a CCW, that never fired a handgun in their life, and probably do not intend to become proficient with it...they just want to have it, and carry it, because they think that it may benefit them at some point....these are the people that bother me, and I really don't want to be around them. That's what I mean by they carry just because they can......
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless we the interwebs elite notice that you don't take the same care of your arms or don't take seriously enough the training and lifestyle that go with being a hardcore gun toter and if you don't like it you should move to canada."

For what it's worth this Idaho guy carries a Springfield Professional model because I like 1911s, it shoots great, and because I can.

berettabone

Banned
You don't belong to OCCUPY, do you? Does it REALLY matter to you what I think? I started out with a simple thread question. Someone asked me to clarify, and I did. If you think it's ok to hang around people who carry weapons, that do not have a clue about firearms, that's your business. I tend to stay away from those types, legal right, or not. Just because something is a right, doesn't make it right, when it threatens the safety of others..like I said, if you're such a strong believer in rights, especially when it affects others, then you go hang out with them. Maybe you can teach them something about rights, but you never know what will happen in the process. If you really care, I think that there should be some kind of training involved, before someone can just walk around with a firearm, but I don't make the laws. People that walk around with firearms, that have zero experience, are just plain dangerous...and this comes from someone who grew up with firearms, in my home, since birth, and had a father who was a gunsmith. You have to admit, people walking around with firearms, that have zero experience, is not a comfortable thing. You said, yeah, maybe they should have some more training...maybe they should have ANY training.

TyGuy

Nice personal attack.

I would prefer people to have trainig, and I'd be happy to help teach them, but I am against a sense of elitism. Just because they aren 't as trained as me doesn't mean they shouldn't have their rights. Other are much more trained than I am, and I don't want my rights taken away. I think it dangerous when you start deciding who is and isn't worthy of their rights. "No training? Sorry, you can't exercise your second ammendment rights.". I'll grant you that they are more dangerous, but even those that have lived with firearms for years still experience NDs. If they, the new owners, follow the basic safety rules then everyone will stay safe. I'd rather encourage them to get training or help them myself than to tell them that they aren't safe enough to enjoy the second ammendment or to exercise their inherrent right of self defense.

TyGuy

I attended several, and even organized one, open carry events in Wisconsin during the push for CC. Not once did I ask the participants for their history of firearms training. Obviously if I saw a blatant safety violation I would either help them to correct it, or, if they were stubborn about not correcting it, then I would leave.

berettabone

Banned
It wasn't a personal attack. I just asked if you were involved with OCCUPY....you know, the people that think it's their right to go to college for free, while we pay for it. People that walk around with firearms, that do not have a clue, we all pay for it. I am glad that if you saw a flagrant firearm problem, you tried to correct it...problem is, there should not be any flagrant firearm problems. If you are going to carry a firearm, you should be schooled enough to NOT make flagrant firearm mistakes..that's what gets people killed. It's why I stay away from organized open carry events, where it's almost certain, that there will be people there, that just want to carry, and not have a clue. I am for conceal and open carry just as much, if not more than most, but it's bad enough when you have to be watching for the "bad guy", and you have to be babysitting the "good guy". Asking someone for help or training in firearms is one thing..nothing wrong with it, at all, we all have to learn, but having to babysit someone, because they do not feel that they need any training, or they just want to walk around with a firearm is a problem. I will admit, I don't know the answer, but my solution, in the mean time, is to stay the hell away from them...it's bad enough out there, without having to worry about those cowboys...........

TyGuy

It's fine if you choose to stay away, but requiring training dor a Constitutional right irks me. I don't hear of untrained carriers killing people left and right in places that don't require training, i.e any constitutional state, or any state that accepts the Utah permit as there is no lve fire training.

Only online would I be accused of being a member of Occupy. I guess if wanting people to be able to exercise their ACTUAL rights (freedom of speech, religion, bear firearms, etc...) as opposed ro made up rights ("free" college, "free" health care) makes me a freak then I'm a freak. :)

berettabone

Banned
If you knew me, you'd know that I am the farthest thing from an elitist....when you exercise a right, you have to do so with some responsibility...it's people that do not exercise responsibility, that causes those rights to sometimes be taken away. Everyone has the right to drive an automobile, but first you must get some training, and get a license, otherwise, we would have all sorts of people driving around, causing accidents, and that affects everyone. You have the right to vote, but if you just scribble all over the paper, they will toss it out, and you've just lost your right. I understand your concerns about rights, and it's a slippery slope, but rights themselves, are no good, if they are not tempered with some responsibility......you basically called me an elitist, before I asked if you were involved with OCCUPY. You may not hear about gun accidents, but check statistics...they happen quite frequently. If you're going to throw the first stone, you have to be prepared for the boulder. Just because something is a right, doesn't mean that you can exercise that right, and affect others in it's exercise. You have the right of free speech, but if you go up into someone's face screaming and yelling, is that free speech still your right?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
What do you carry, and why? Myself...Bodyguard .380..Remington Home Defense 102 gr. Just curious.....

Glock 36, .45ACP single stack. Why? Easily concealable, light weight, easy to carry all day with up to 8 rounds (7+1 with Pierce grip extender installed), .45 ACP is my favorite caliber; time proven since 1905 IIRC and still in use today.
Usually open carry and seldom conceal carry here in Wisconsin.

I see that some have jumped on the "training" issue. I've been to many open carry events where I knew perhaps 50% of the folks that were there. I never witnessed nor heard of any issues with anyone mishandling their firearm. Not one person has ever pulled out their gun to show it to someone at the events I attended (that I know of).

I can say that the "training issue" has been discussed/debated many times on this forum in the past with some of the posts being very heated and perhaps paranoid about other peoples abilities to handle their firearm. How does anyone know anything about another person's ability to handle the firearm they have in their holster? Unless you live, eat and breathe with that person I don't think an accurate assessment can be made and then that assessment is based on the person making the assessment own ability to handle a firearm.

Thread about training and other issues: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-downword-spiral-begins&highlight=calico+jack

twoskinsonemanns

...they just want to have it, and carry it, because they think that it may benefit them at some point....

Those son-of-b!tches....

I think everyone should be granted the same right I have to KABA..... Just as soon as they satisfy me as to whether they are as proficient and safe with it as I am. And anyone who knows MORE than I know.... well that's great but not really necessary.:rolleyes:

Lurchiron

Nice personal attack.

I would prefer people to have trainig, and I'd be happy to help teach them, but I am against a sense of elitism. Just because they aren 't as trained as me doesn't mean they shouldn't have their rights. Other are much more trained than I am, and I don't want my rights taken away. I think it dangerous when you start deciding who is and isn't worthy of their rights. "No training? Sorry, you can't exercise your second ammendment rights.". I'll grant you that they are more dangerous, but even those that have lived with firearms for years still experience NDs. If they, the new owners, follow the basic safety rules then everyone will stay safe. I'd rather encourage them to get training or help them myself than to tell them that they aren't safe enough to enjoy the second ammendment or to exercise their inherrent right of self defense.

+1

I carry my Kimber Custom Covert ll(Condition 3) in the classic Magnum PI. position, the only consession is that I have to turn the laser off otherwise it lights it self when the button contacts my waistband.
With a tight belt & undershirt, I've yet to notice any slippage; as for running with it...I gave that up when I turned old enough to own one :cool:.

View attachment 8623

berettabone

Banned
Thanks to those who have answered the original question with out ADD'ing...to the rest, I understand your feeling about your rights, and I am grateful for what we can do in this state...........but I also have observed things that are troubling to me...you should open your minds a bit, and try to understand my point of view.

TyGuy

KABA? My son calls my dog kaba. Her name is Kava, but he can't do the B sound that well yet.

What is KABA?

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
For everyday carry, my XDM. Goes with me everywhere except Illinois. Polymer doesn't scratch, and CC is extremely easy with my Cleveland's Ugly.

When dressing up in the Sundays best, 1911 all the way. Usually I carry my 1911 in a shoulder rig, but its also the OC weapon of choice.

For the home defense I keep a Mossberg 500 with folding stock and PDX1 rounds. Traded in the DPMS AR for the shotgun. Wife wasn't a fan of the AR, but loves the shotgun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TyGuy

I'll leave it at that. I think I've stated my point enough already.