• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Louisville

NapalmFTW

Hey Guys...

Recently moved to this fine city from North west Indiana. I have an Indiana LTCH which covers me to conceal down here for 60 days until I have to inform Indiana State Police I've moved.

I hear I have to be a KY resident for 6 months (?) before I can apply for my CCDW.

I used to OC up in Indiana 99% of the time - its legal with an LTCH - but for some reason now I'm down here in Kentucky I am really nervous about OCing and I CC most of the time. Maybe its because I'm not used to the area and where its prudent to CC.

Is it a big deal here in Louisville for people to OC? I've yet to see another OCer. We're living in the east over by J-town. I've OCd in the Walmart on Hurstborne and either no-one noticed or they didn't care.

Are there any other L'ville folks here? When I was up in IN we had a real active group of gun owners - we'd go to the range (outdoor) and grille, shoot and generally have a good time. Is there anything similar down here?

I have more questions but I'll leave those for another post...

Thanks for reading guys,
Dave.

86 slo-vo

Don't know much about Louisville but I'm 2 hours west in Owensboro, I have been OC'ing for about 6 months without a CCDW. I took the CCDW class last month so I should have it by the end of next month.

KRM59

Welcome to Louisville

I have been oc'ing in Louisville for years and yet to have an issue at all. And in the last two years i have seen only 3 People oc'ing, well other than a meet and greet.
As for other Gun owners I would like to see a group start up in Louisville. We have a couple of ranges, One being TGG indoor range formally known as Bluegrass indoor range ( which i hope to be working soon) and knob creek range. TGG has a lot to offer, gun range, store,ammo, airsoft room, kill room with movable walls and balistic furnature. f.a.t.s system (CG) training. Hope to get a gathering of Louisville carriers and have some fun.

langzaiguy

If I were you, I wouldn't CC. If you are legally a resident of KY and not IN, I would not think your IN license would still work here.

BTW, were in NW Indiana are ya from?

langzaiguy

Both states honor each other's licenses. The question that comes into play here is where is his residence? If he lives in KY but has a IN license, I do not believe it will be honored.

While what Devin says may be true, why should you have to avoid OCing? It's completely legal. Don't let other peoples' problems become your problem.

flb_78

Effective, July 15, 1998, Kentucky recognizes valid carry concealed weapons licenses issued by other states and, subject to the provisions of Kentucky law, a person holding a valid license from another state may carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky.

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

I don't know if your Indiana LTCH is still valid since you've moved to Kentucky. When I moved here from Texas, I did not conceal carry after I had a Kentucky driver license.

No license is required to open carry in Kentucky and "no guns" signs have no lawful force.

Check this thread and if you have any questions, please do ask.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

FrostyKRU

I would be interested in some CQT, along with a few friends of mine if others are interested we can make something happen. I havent been to Bluegrass since they changed the name, (They used to prefer I didnt shoot magnum rounds) so I shoot elsewhere. Is there going to be a meet-up any time soon? Thanks, Frosty

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If you are now a resident of Ky then your Indiana license is no longer recognized so you need to OC at all times. You will find that Ky law is much better than Indiana's, and that carrying firearms in this state is pretty normal. The only restrictions on OC is inside an establishment that sales alcohol if that establishment does not seat at least 50 and does not make over 50% of it's income from food sales and on k-12 school property (however since your license is not valid the federal gfsz applies to you). You can still OC in a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol by the drink and does not make 50% of their income from food as long as the firearm is unloaded, however you can keep the ammunition on your person. If you are at a restaurant like applebee's, texas roadehouse, red lobster, etc. you can OC loaded because these places make more than 50% of their income from food sales and seat more than 50 people. "No firearm" signs do not have the force of law, however if you are asked to leave a private establishment by management you must leave or you could be cited for criminal trespass. OC is allowed in all government buildings except courthouses that house the court of justice and detention facilities (unless you have the jailer or warden's permission). You can OC in your vehicle or you can place your firearm or other deadly weapon in your glovebox, console, or any other enclosed factory installed storage compartment; the gun can be loaded and the compartment does NOT have to be locked. In Ky you can also carry other deadly weapons openly without a cdwl such as automatic knives, batons, blackjacks, etc.

Welcome to Ky and enjoy! Please stay active on the forum and ask any questions you may have.

NapalmFTW

I still have an Indiana DL, Indiana tags on my car and I haven't yet been here a month, so for legal purposes I am still an Indiana resident. I cannot prove Kentucky residence yet, there is no paper trail.

If a LMPD officer stopped me and asked me for my DL, registration and proof of insurance, where do you think he'd say my residence is? Producing my IN LTCH will match up with all of the information on my DL, reg., and insurance. So no problem there.

I can't get a KY DL until I've been here long enough to prove residency (when we get a utility bill/rent bill). I believe once I have a KY DL I will be considered a KY resident and need to start looking into other methods of carrying.

I used to OC all the time up in NWI (I'm from Schererville. I use this same username over on INGO) with no problems so I don't know why I am expecting any here...?

I have to give up my IN LTCH which means I won't be able to carry into Indiana without another permit. I can't get my KY CCDW for 6 months so I will have to look into a UT CCW or something similar to let me carry in Indiana. Because I will eventually be a KY resident a UT out of state permit won't cover me for carrying in KY... LOL.

David.

NapalmFTW

In Ky you can also carry other deadly weapons openly without a cdwl such as automatic knives, batons, blackjacks, etc.

Welcome to Ky and enjoy! Please stay active on the forum and ask any questions you may have.

Hmm, I may have to get myself that holster for my 21inch ASP. I used to just throw it in my belt and mexican carry it :D

I guess I'd get LESS hassle for carrying an ASP than a firearm, but it's not ideal.

I didn't chose to live in the Louisville metro area... I'd much prefer to live outside of a city.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Because I will eventually be a KY resident a UT out of state permit won't cover me for carrying in KY... LOL.

David.

If you get a Utah out of state permit before you get your Ky permit then you can carry concealed on the Utah permit in Ky. Ky recognizes all other state's licenses.

Last edited:

CharleyCherokee

If you get a Utah out of state permit before you get your Ky permit then you can carry concealed on the Utah permit in Ky. Ky recognizes all other state's licenses.

I've seen this written several times and it's simply incorrect. 237.110 Paragraph 20(b) You will see that Kentucky will only enter into reciprocity agreements with states that will honor Kentucky's license or allow the resident to acquire a license to carry from the state seeking reciprocity. That being the case I know for certain Kentucky will not honor a Maryland license.

Last edited:

NapalmFTW

This is getting complicated... :D

If I'm a KY resident (as demonstrated by a Kentucky DL/insurance/tags on the car) then surely to conceal I should have a KY CCDW.

Well, I don't know that for sure. I'm sure it would only come to light if:
a: I was involved in a shooting
b: I was stopped and searched and found CCing
c: Someone saw me CC'ing and then go to b:

I want to stay on the correct side of the law. The only 100% safe (!) alternative is not to carry ;)

<sarcasm>

Thanks for the replies. I think I need a lawyer.
D.

hotrod

If you want to "stay on the correct side of the law" you better stop carrying on an invalid license. You no longer reside in Indiana. Indiana does not issue LTCF to non residents. An existing Indiana LTCF is no longer valid once the licensee ceases to be a resident of Indiana. Your Indiana license is no longer valid. You may have documents that say you are an Indiana resident, but you are not. You now live in Ky. You do not lose your residence status just because you have not received a utility bill or changed your DL/car registration yet. Residency is determined by the act of residing in Ky. No matter what your documents say, that is a fact. You are not eligible for a Ky. license. The only legal way for you to CC in Ky. is to get a non resident license from some other state. There is no law against a Ky. resident having one or using one in Ky. If you are involved in any difficulties with LE all of this will become known to them and you could be charged with illegally carrying a concealed weapon. Good luck.

Indiana will issue a non resident license if you work in Indiana or own a business

Last edited:

hotrod

Thanks, hotrod. Its always nice to learn something new. That may come in handy someday.
You are welcome. I owned a business in Indiana and learned of this through the Dearborn County Sheriffs Office. They were the same people who said I could not open carry in Lawrenceburg but could never provide a section that prohibited carrying openly. They found the section for non resident LTCH during the hunt and I got an Indiana LTCH, even though I had my Kentucky CDWL since Nov 1996, just to rub salt in the open wound, as it were.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
You are welcome. I owned a business in Indiana and learned of this through the Dearborn County Sheriffs Office. They were the same people who said I could not open carry in Lawrenceburg but could never provide a section that prohibited carrying openly. They found the section for non resident LTCH during the hunt and I got an Indiana LTCH, even though I had my Kentucky CDWL since Nov 1996, just to rub salt in the open wound, as it were.
That's weird. You have a KY CDWL, and the Indiana LEOs still wanted you to have an Indiana LTCH? very strange.

flb_78

I have heard that if your out of state license is for concealed carry only, CCDW, CHL, and not a License To Carry a Handgun, that they (Indiana) will only allow you to concealed carry.

I have no documentation to back this up though.

Last edited: