• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some what "snide" encounter

F350

We had friends visit for a few days and I took them to the train, then went to get a couple "burger joint" breakfast sandwiches.

I was getting my second refill of coffee and guy about my age (60ish) walks up and says "What's with the pistola....just because you can".

me "Well I am hot natured and if I were to conceal carry I would need a T-shirt then a cover shirt and I'd have sweat running down my spine and dripping from my arm pits all day. This is cooler, more comfortable and more convenient: and yes it is legal and I can".

mr snide "I have my concealed permit but I don't carry much anymore just because it is inconvenient".

Now, I had already had coffee at home and 2 large at the burger joint while reading the paper and the mind was hitting on all cylinders so I added " So; it is legal so maybe you should start open carrying; besides it is not only legal but actually state sanctioned and why should we as law abiding citizens doing a legal thing have to sneak around, skulking in the shadows like two bit criminals? It wasn't too long ago in this state that a man carrying a gun anyway but openly was considered nefarious and frowned upon by society."

mr snide "...................." turned around and walked off.

Don't mess with me when I've had my full ration of coffee :lol:

GWbiker

"Gun.....what gun?" "Define Gun?"

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DocWalker

When he said it was inconvient for him to carry his gun.....

I would have told him that since I'm not clairavoient I will take a little inconvience to not be a victim or wourse dead due to the inconvience of carring on any given day.

rushcreek2

My style tends to project a "strong-silent" though polite & respectful disposition that hopefully suggests that I lack tolerance for sarcasm, or stupidity. If someone were to step into my zone of tranquility and confront me over my carry option with some sarcastic, or loaded remark I would probably be rather dismissive of their presumptive interest in MY business.

One time about 3 years ago a 30 -something class clown type with his significant other in-tow spouted something like a "Whooopeeee" as we passed each other in a grocery aisle at Walmart. I ignored the childish utterance as we continued in our opposite directions.

Last edited:

sawah

I'll make a confession. Before I became acquainted with firearms, I was in a bookstore, I believe it was in the 1980s, but I can't recall. There was a man who had a holster and firearm on his belt and I remember thinking 'who does he think he is', in a rather pejorative manner. I don't know why, don't know if I felt threatened (probably not), but I tended to look down on him for carrying. I do not know why I had that prejudice. But I did not have any desire to confront him, bother him, or ask him why.

So, I don't expect non-carriers to understand or approve, but, -now-, I do expect them to mind their own business.

M-Taliesin

"if you think carrying is inconvenient, imagine how inconvenient it would be to get killed because you weren't carrying!
...but hey, your call"

Howdy Rocky!
Yeah... it was REAL inconvenient that night when I was confronted with an armed robber who pointed a pistol at my face, threatening my life with a deadly weapon, and I was unarmed and unable to defend myself against imminent peril. Had I been carrying a handgun myself, at least twice during the robbery attempt, I could have drawn and defeated this thug from his nefarious activity. Without the lawful means to defend myself, I could easily have ended up on a mortuary slab. Statistically, there was about a 30% chance that he might have fired regardless of my compliance with his demand that I part with my money.

Maybe it will be convenient for Mr. Snide to stand by helplessly when his wife is brutally attacked while he stands by unable to do anything about it? Or his grandchildren. Or his neighbors. Or himself for that matter.

Then again, I'd have to admit that he has the right to be a victim, and to allow his wife and grandchildren to be victims, because it is his own business. I'd just ask that he respects my own right to my own business. "You mind your own business, and I'll do likewise!"

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rushcreek2

I found sahwa's reflection regarding "uninitiated" observation of a man OC'ing interesting, because many folks are similarly "uninitiated" about the right to open carry here in Colorado. They are likely to think the person wearing that gun (without a badge) is peculiar at best. Putting ourselves in their shoes - they are probalby a bit intrigued by the sight of that holstered sidearm, and are probably wondering whether the OC'er is a detective, F.B.I., a U.S. Marshal , "bounty hunter", or what ? Where is his/her "badge" ?

You would think that it might not be prudent to confront a person carrying a gun, but some folks are pretty perceptive, "cocky", and they figure out right away that you are not law enforcement by doing a quick scan. People are not ALL that dumb. How you react to such an "ambush" will determine whether the outcome will be good, bad, or ugly. This is WHY - I strive to present the type of image that such folks will not only be "comfortable" with my armed condition, but also deterred from "messing with me". Yes - I apply attention to such concerns - even though I HAVE THE RIGHT TO OPEN CARRY in Colorado.

Last edited:

F350

Well..... his "because you can" line made it pretty obvious he knew OC is Colorado legal, he was just trying to "put me in my place", probably thinking I was one of the (small percentage of) attention seekers. My wife says it is not one of my better qualities (in her passive eyes) but when someone comes at me, I go at them head on and give 150% in return, strong and silent (as rushcreek2 suggested) is not my style; I'm a former Jarhead.