View Poll Results: What Grade would you give Tim?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • A- Tim is a Rock Star!

15 88.24%
  • B- I usually agree with Tim.

2 11.76%
  • C- Tim could vote Anti- if put in a siutuation.

0 0%
  • D- Tim is not online with the gun issues

0 0%
  • F- Tim OC'ed a black gun after memorial day :-(

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVFAC Legislature ratings

NVFAC Legislature ratings

As most of you know, TimF343 (on OCDO) or Mr. Farrell as Metro would say, is running for assemblyman in District 10. I know Tim as a Rights person period. He values the rule of law and acts on it no matter his personal comfort level. However it seems that the NVFAC rating process has issued Tim a "C" rating. Just in Case I am off base on this one I was hoping that the OC community would cast a vote as to how they percieve Tim on gun issues, so I am attempting a poll.

Mr. Farrell is an A+++ as far as I am concerned.

I also found it interesting that the NVFAC rated Bob Irwin A+. I do not believe he is a strong supporter of open carry (I guess I could be wrong?).

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post

I also found it interesting that the NVFAC rated Bob Irwin A+. I do not believe he is a strong supporter of open carry (I guess I could be wrong?).

Ken
    There were no questions on the survey that had to do with open carry.

NVFAC has still not released their scoring methodology, nor have they released responses to the individual questions.

Founder's Club Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    I must be missing it but I went to the NVFAC site, went through the list and I don't see his name?

TBG
    Article 1, Section 11, #1 of the Nevada Constitution: Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use ..

Life member GOA and NRA. Member SAF, NAGR, & former member NVFAC.

I have the email from the NVFAC rep. The info is Golden... I think it is only right for them to publish, if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    I have the email from the NVFAC rep. The info is Golden... I think it is only right for them to publish, if they do.
    I don't recall the email & I don't see his name on the PDF on the web site.

If this is true,I am done with the nvfac. Tim had done more for us than the nvfac.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post

Ken
    As far as I am concerned Irwin is anti oc. He has been asked many times to join us here. He had been asked many times to correct his instructors.

I too believe Tim Farrel to be a stand-up guy!

However, a couple of points:

1. Tim Farrel does not appear in the list of NVFAC rated candidates; see http://www.nvfac.org/images/document...te-ratings.pdf

I don't know why Tim doesn't appear there. How can you say the NVFAC gave him a rating? Did Tim receive a survey and send it back to NVFAC? I certainly do NOT see Tim's name in the list of rated candidates as posted in the link above.

2. Tim Farrel also does not appear on the SecState's list of 2012 primary results; see http://www.silverstateelection.com/stateAssembly.aspx

I don't know why Tim doesn't appear there.

Tim did have an opponent(s) in the primary, didn't he? If so, how did Tim fare?
    Last edited by varminter22; 06-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.

On the Rep side Tim had no one run against him.

http://www.lvrj.com/politics/primary-results-2012
    Last edited by Vegassteve; 06-13-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post

Tim Farrel does not appear in the list of NVFAC rated candidates; see http://www.nvfac.org/images/document...te-ratings.pdf

I don't know why Tim doesn't appear there. How can you say the NVFAC gave him a rating? Did Tim receive a survey and send it back to NVFAC? I certainly do NOT see Tim's name in the list of rated candidates as posted in the link above.
    He recently submitted his survey (for the second time) and received a response that his grade would be a C.

I am hoping that whoever told him this was mistaken and that it is cleared up immediately.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the grades mean a damn thing anyways, because we weren't told what criteria were used to assign grades to the candidates, nor are we permitted to see candidate responses to individual questions.
    Last edited by SoLasVegas; 06-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    On the Rep side Tim had no one run against him.
    Well, that answers the question - as he did not face a primary election, he will not appear on the SecState's primary results list.

One thing for sure, the primary results show there were some close races.

And in District 10, registered Democrat voters outnumber Republican voters by a wide margin. I'm sure Mr Farrell would appreciate - and could certainly use - your help in preparing for the 2012 General Election!

Dist
    Dem
    Green
    Indep. American
    Libertarian
    Non-
    Part
    Other
    Repub
    Total
    Last edited by varminter22; 06-13-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    However it seems that the NVFAC rating process has issued Tim a "C" rating.
    Can you provide the info/facts, cause I, nor some others, can't seem to find out wether this is true or not.

Activist Member
    The letter grade given by the NVFAC doesn't mean too much to me without seeing the resulting answers that led to the grade.

With all the BLM land to shoot on, why should the government fund a shooting park in Las Vegas? After hearing people on Nevada shooters forum say that there are range nazis there and that they don't allow loaded concealed carry I doubt I would go there if I lived near it. Perhaps ranges are better left to private business rather than government.

I would not be worried about the responses to that question, yet I would imagine responding negatively would impact the letter grade considerably.

I am much more concerned with issues like constitutional carry and campus carry. If the questions are weighted equally, one who said no to campus carry would be considered the same as one who said no to the shooting park. Opposing concealed carry on public universities is clearly anti-gun, but opposing a publicly funded shooting park could be on principle of avoiding wasteful spending. Nevada (and the feds) are in massive debt. Do we really need them to go further into debt by spending money on a gun range in a place where anyone can just drive a mile off the road and shoot as they please?
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 06-14-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    The letter grade given by the NVFAC doesn't mean too much to me without seeing the resulting answers that led to the grade.

With all the BLM land to shoot on, why should the government fund a shooting park in Las Vegas? After hearing people on Nevada shooters forum say that there are range nazis there and that they don't allow loaded concealed carry I doubt I would go there if I lived near it.
    They do allow loaded CC and OC. We have OC loaded while on the grounds protesting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post

With all the BLM land to shoot on, why should the government fund a shooting park in Las Vegas? After hearing people on Nevada shooters forum say that there are range nazis there and that they don't allow loaded concealed carry I doubt I would go there if I lived near it. Perhaps ranges are better left to private business rather than government.

I would not be worried about the responses to that question, yet I would imagine responding negatively would impact the letter grade considerably.

I am much more concerned with issues like constitutional carry and campus carry. If the questions are weighted equally, one who said no to campus carry would be considered the same as one who said no to the shooting park. Opposing concealed carry on public universities is clearly anti-gun, but opposing a publicly funded shooting park could be on principle of avoiding wasteful spending. Nevada (and the feds) are in massive debt. Do we really need them to go further into debt by spending money on a gun range in a place where anyone can just drive a mile off the road and shoot as they please?
    I find question 10 completely self serving for the benefit of some members of the NVFAC board and has nothing to do with ones stand on firearms. It only has to do with a candidates stand on if the county should be in the shooting range business. As I have stated several times on this forum and made my feelings known to the NVFAC, no one should financially support the county park as long as the county works against our firearms rights. Some on here strongly agree with that view and some strongly oppose it. Either way, no one should be called anti 2nd amendment because they don't support the county's shooting park business.

Question 11 only speaks of conceal carry and no mention of open carry on all public lands. This is flat wrong. It indicates that those who are in charge of the organization are indeed anti open carry, or at least that is how it could be perceived.

TBG
    Article 1, Section 11, #1 of the Nevada Constitution: Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use ..

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    I too believe Tim Farrel to be a stand-up guy!

However, a couple of points:

1. Tim Farrel does not appear in the list of NVFAC rated candidates; see http://www.nvfac.org/images/document...te-ratings.pdf

2. Tim Farrel also does not appear on the SecState's list of 2012 primary results; see http://www.silverstateelection.com/stateAssembly.aspx

I don't know why Tim doesn't appear there.

Tim did have an opponent(s) in the primary, didn't he? If so, how did Tim fare?
    Yes Tim did respond to the survey twice, the first one was lost or somthing. I will post when I get the OK.

Ah, ok, good!

Am sure there will be an update now that the primary is over.

Here is the NVFAC responding to Tims's survey answers:
    Dear Mr. Farrell,
    Thank you for submitting a candidate survey to us!
    In reviewing your survey, I noticed you answered “No” to Question 5, regarding Employee Protection for Law-Abiding Gun Owners. I wanted to verify that you intended to mark that answer as a “No”.
    I ask because that is one of our five core questions (1, 2, 3, 5 & 6). A “No” answer on even one of the core questions means that the best rating we can give you is a “C”.
    Good luck in your race, and thanks again for taking the time to respond to our survey!!
    Sincerely yours,
    Randy Mackie

Here is Tim's response to the above:
    I did intend to answer NO to question 5. I believe there are alternatives which accomplish the same thing without violating the rights of private employers and their private property rights.

I cannot call myself a man of liberty and also support legislation which eliminates one right to strengthen another, as I believe such a perspective would be hypocritical. To that end, I will also never use gun rights as a bargaining chip either.

I do not believe there should be any governmental restrictions upon the carry of firearms by law-abiding persons, but it is not the government's place to regulate how businesses manage their rules for their employees and their property. The better way to handle employers who restrict the carry of weapons by employees is by enacting legislation similar to what Arizona tried to do with HB2456 in 2002 (liability for gun free zones). In this way, private property rights are not compromised, but businesses (and their liability insurance companies) must make a decision as to the their acceptable level of risk.

If you believe that a NO answer to question 5 means I only qualify as a maximum of a "C" rating (indicating average?) I think you will be unpleasantly surprised by the outcry from gun owners in southern Nevada. Many local gun rights advocates know me personally and I have been told that I am an example for others to follow. Over the past 5 years I have lobbied to eliminate the blue card (gun registration) in Clark County and strengthen preemption laws and many 2nd amendment supporters have taken notice. Mention my name at your next meeting and I guarantee several of your members will know of me and my efforts. I have copied a few of them here.

I have put my own liberty, freedom, prosperity, and good name at risk by personally challenging the Las Vegas Police when it came to their interactions with law abiding gun owners. Because of my efforts, Metro has changed many of its policies and every employee of Metro has undergone mandatory re-training, improving the relationship between police and gun owners and reducing the severity, intensity and frequency of police responses to man-with-a-gun calls.

I believe my background makes me the strongest gun rights proponent in the entire state of Nevada and believe a "C" rating from your organization inaccurately portrays my position, matching me with my anti-gun (D) opponent in this race. Nevertheless, I cannot change my position as I believe doing so would make me no different than those who attempt to deprive us of our God given right to self defense.

I hope you consider my detailed response when rating my survey, and understand if the best rating I can receive is a "C".

I would be happy to provide additional details for you if that would help your decision process. Thank you for your consideration.

Tim Farrell

Clark County, NV-----------------------Mohave County, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    ...If you believe that a NO answer to question 5 means I only qualify as a maximum of a "C" rating (indicating average?) I think you will be unpleasantly surprised by the outcry from gun owners in southern Nevada. Many local gun rights advocates know me personally and I have been told that I am an example for others to follow. Over the past 5 years I have lobbied to eliminate the blue card (gun registration) in Clark County and strengthen preemption laws and many 2nd amendment supporters have taken notice. Mention my name at your next meeting and I guarantee several of your members will know of me and my efforts. I have copied a few of them here....
    NVFAC's grading is HIGHLY flawed in this regard.

Sure, FOR GUN RIGHTS, Tim gets a -1 on this question. And he has GOOD REASON for it. To use an A, B, C, etc scale, and then drop him two grades for it, is asinine and highly misleading. I am very disappointed.

On this question, Tim is being seen the same as someone who would vote against such a bill because they are anti-gun AND anti-private-property.
    Last edited by MAC702; 06-16-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    Blue & Gold Firearms Training; Clark County, NV
    Certified Concierge Instruction

Although I don't agree with Tim on this issue, I do understand where he is coming from. For the Association to give him on "C" based on that issue is a bit harsh. Actually in light of his response it is a lot harsh. This is why it is important for us to have access to the answers and not just some rating. I generally don't like "Yes" or "No" answers on something like this because it is not a complete answer.

Based on this it would be shameful for the Association not to get behind Tim in this election. We need him and more like him. In fact they have rated my Assembly Person as an "A" and from the contact I have had with her, I would rate her a "B". She just happened to answer all the questions the way they wanted her to.

TBG

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    ... She just happened to answer all the questions the way they wanted her to...
    Did they send one to Mitt Romney? I'll bet he knows how to get an A.

What is the exact wording for Question 5? Did I miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    What is the exact wording for Question 5? Did I miss it?

The survey has been removed so I don't have the exact wording but it has to do with the right of an employee to have their legal firearm in their vehicle while parked in a publicly accessible employee parking lot. For instance it is my understanding that Wally World does not allow employees to have firearms in their vehicles while at work. The proposal would remove that from employer discretion.

TBG

I am too angry right now, so I wont type what I want to. If Don Turner thinks for one second that he has done ANYTHING for us in Clark County then he is sorely mistaken. One of a handful of men that have stepped up to the plate Tim, and they do this to him. And I joined that group in good faith. I still havent typed what I wanted to.
    Last edited by Vegassteve; 01-22-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast