Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Open Carry Revolver?

Ideal Open Carry Revolver?

I would suggest that my Smith & Wesson 386 Mountain Lite .357 magnum would be the ideal open carry revolver. With its Scandium alloy frame and Titanium cylinder it only weighs about 18 oz. unloaded. It hold 7 rounds and its recoil is snappy but not painful with Pachymayr Decelerator grips. It would not weigh one down in everyday carry and would provide tremendous firepower.

I plan to openly carry it when I travel in Colorado next month.

What do you think is the ideal open carry revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by vonfilm View Post

What do you think is the ideal open carry revolver?
    That would be the one I have with me that I can hit what I point it at.

If you are looking for approval of your choice for you to carry, here it is - I approve.

But anything that involves
    would be the ideal open carry revolver
    as a general statement is headed for the same train wreck as "X is the best caliber since sliced bread and better than Y or Z". I learned a long time ago that if I do not slow down to rubberneck at trainwrecks I can get where I'm going not only faster but without increased danger of getting into a wreck with other rubberneckers.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

S&W 327 (eight shots of 357 Magnum)
    Ruger Redhawk 4"
    S&W 625
    Ruger GP100
    S&W 586 or 686
    Ruger Alaskan
    S&W Model 624 with 3" barrel
    S&W Model 66
    S&W Model 25 in 45 Colt (a Mountain Gun would be nice)

...or just about anything else bigger than an S&W J-Frame. Though, a J-frame with 3" barrel would be kinda neat in a Milt Sparks holster.
    Last edited by tomrkba; 06-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Haven't started OC'ing yet but considering these:

Colt Official Police 4" .38 Spcl
    Colt Trooper 4" .357 Mag
    Colt New Service 4 1/2" .44 Spcl
    Colt New Service 5 1/2" .45 Colt
    S&W M629 4" .44 Mag (would use .44 Spcl)
    Ruger Flattop Blackhawk 4 5/8" .44Spcl

No lightweights but I have substantial holsters and belts for each. Any of these you would immediately eliminate from consideration?

I have a Taurus 627 .357mag 7 shot revolver that's excellent. It's got great single and double action and it manages recoil very well. I carry mine in a Galco Wheelgunner holster that feels like it was custom made for it.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I sometimes OC a taurus 605 .357mag. I feels like your playing catch with Nolan Ryan without a glove when shooting the mags. Not too bad shooting 38sp.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I sometimes OC a taurus 605 .357mag. I feels like your playing catch with Nolan Ryan without a glove when shooting the mags. Not too bad shooting 38sp.
    That's why I stepped up to the Tracker. Even with HSM BearLoads it feels ok. With regular range loads it's a lot of fun to shoot. I let other people on the range shoot it as well and so far everyone likes it. It's really cool to see a 100lbs woman shoot it and get a big grin on her face. It is the heaviest .357mag that Taurus makes so it may not be optimal to carry for everyone.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

One that goes bang when the trigger is pulled...

I carry a Taurus 650 CIA .357 mag. model! Personal preference. I love the bang of the Magnum and for me it is not a heavy gun.

The Colt Python. You just don't have to say anything but colt python.
    Last edited by ickthus; 06-17-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Old School.

I love my .45 Ruger Vaquero (old model) ~ Single action however, is not for everyone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg 
Views:	1143 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	8639
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

To me any revolver is the ideal OC revolver as only the most utter of fools will ask you if it is a Glock.

I have two that I OC: A Colt 1860 and a S&W 686. The 1860 is an aquired taste, however the 686 is quite pleasing and I would certainly recommend it.

Go Big Bore!

Quote Originally Posted by ppardue1 View Post
    To me any revolver is the ideal OC revolver as only the most utter of fools will ask you if it is a Glock.

I have two that I OC: A Colt 1860 and a S&W 686. The 1860 is an aquired taste, however the 686 is quite pleasing and I would certainly recommend it.
    I carry a 51 Navy while driving, once on private property I switch it out for a cartridge firearms in the trunk. Solves the problem with school zones. I keep a j frame and a cartridge conversion Navy for open carry on private property, or outside a school zone. I do carry autos on occasion but most times I stick to my revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    I love my .45 Ruger Vaquero (old model) ~ Single action however, is not for everyone.
    Agreed, mine in .45 acp and 3.75" with birdshead grip. If not that, a 1911 is always good.

Nice rig and sidearm, BTW.

My ideal OC revolver would hold 7 rounds and be chambered in .357 Magnum*. Light weight is a plus.

So I came in here to say S&W 686, but I was not aware of the 386, so I'll agree with you on that.

*I say .357 because .38 is more ideal for a smaller, concealable revolver (same for .327 Mag and all the other .32 caliber rounds. Although a 10 round .327 Magnum in a large frame would be interesting). .44 Magnum has too much recoil for SD (not to mention my ears would be bleeding enough after using .357 for SD. .44? No thanks), and .44 Special and .41 Magnum aren't common enough.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

The ideal OC revolver is:

1) one that you are comfortable and proficient with,
    2) one that goes BANG when you put your booger hook on the bang switch--EVERY TIME
    3) one that is chambered in an effective self-defense caliber, and
    4) one that is looks good on your hip...

Any other specifications, requirements, or advice are pure hoo-ha...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    My ideal OC revolver would hold 7 rounds and be chambered in .357 Magnum*. Light weight is a plus.

So I came in here to say S&W 686, but I was not aware of the 386, so I'll agree with you on that.

*I say .357 because .38 is more ideal for a smaller, concealable revolver (same for .327 Mag and all the other .32 caliber rounds. Although a 10 round .327 Magnum in a large frame would be interesting). .44 Magnum has too much recoil for SD (not to mention my ears would be bleeding enough after using .357 for SD. .44? No thanks), and .44 Special and .41 Magnum aren't common enough.
    All the .357mag 7 shot revolvers I have handled are a bit on the heavy side. S&W makes some scandium alloy 8 shot that are lighter but still heavy and way expensive.

I carry this http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=TS2 in a Galco Wheelgunner holster and find it very comfortable. It's also a great gun to shoot with recoil that feels better than most .38spl I've fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The ideal OC revolver is:

1) one that you are comfortable and proficient with,
    2) one that goes BANG when you put your booger hook on the bang switch--EVERY TIME
    3) one that is chambered in an effective self-defense caliber, and
    4) one that is looks good on your hip...

Any other specifications, requirements, or advice are pure hoo-ha...
    And,

5) Best Bang for YOUR Buck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post

Name:	222-Starbucks_Guns.jpg 
Views:	1143 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	8639
    I have a 357 model ... its sweet ... accurate as can be, easy to shoot, little recoil ... only need 1 shot with it (per "bad guy")
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 06-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I have a 357 model ... its sweet ... accurate as can be, easy to shoot, little recoil ... only need 1 shot with it (per "bad guy")
    I personally have grown very fond of Single Action revolvers in last year. Went from none to two and love them both, one is just a cheap Heritage Rough Rider .22 which started my love and then I acquire a Ruger New Vaquero in .357 and it's now my home defense and hunting sidearm. I suggest anyone to try a single action, some say they aren't ideal for self defense but I disagree to each their own not going to debate that here...

Banned
    Dan Wesson model 15........

I have been considering buying a taurus tracker in 45acp with a 4" barrel. I don't know if it would be ideal for anyone else but I like the composite framed semi autos due to the lighter weight. My concealed carry revolver is a taurus model 85 ultralight. I don't normally open carry a revolver unless its deer season and then it is a ruger blackhawk 44 mag.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

I carry my Hammerli Virginian .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel. If you can't stop multiple BG's with 6 shots of .45 Colt your screwed anyways. I love my SAA's.

Name:	CIMG0913.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	8727

'Nother vote for the good old fashioned thumbusters. One of my favorites is Lipsey's 3-3/4 inch Ruger Vaquero .44 special -

I'm surprised I see so many folks here recomending a single action six-gun. I kinda thought I was the last wing-nut that carried one of these!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05146rt.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	8731  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast