• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ideal Open Carry Revolver?

vonfilm

I would suggest that my Smith & Wesson 386 Mountain Lite .357 magnum would be the ideal open carry revolver. With its Scandium alloy frame and Titanium cylinder it only weighs about 18 oz. unloaded. It hold 7 rounds and its recoil is snappy but not painful with Pachymayr Decelerator grips. It would not weigh one down in everyday carry and would provide tremendous firepower.

I plan to openly carry it when I travel in Colorado next month.

What do you think is the ideal open carry revolver?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

What do you think is the ideal open carry revolver?

That would be the one I have with me that I can hit what I point it at.

If you are looking for approval of your choice for you to carry, here it is - I approve.

But anything that involves
would be the ideal open carry revolver
as a general statement is headed for the same train wreck as "X is the best caliber since sliced bread and better than Y or Z". I learned a long time ago that if I do not slow down to rubberneck at trainwrecks I can get where I'm going not only faster but without increased danger of getting into a wreck with other rubberneckers.

stay safe.

tomrkba

S&W 327 (eight shots of 357 Magnum)
Ruger Redhawk 4"
S&W 625
Ruger GP100
S&W 586 or 686
Ruger Alaskan
S&W Model 624 with 3" barrel
S&W Model 66
S&W Model 25 in 45 Colt (a Mountain Gun would be nice)

...or just about anything else bigger than an S&W J-Frame. Though, a J-frame with 3" barrel would be kinda neat in a Milt Sparks holster.

Last edited:

Nitro

Haven't started OC'ing yet but considering these:

Colt Official Police 4" .38 Spcl
Colt Trooper 4" .357 Mag
Colt New Service 4 1/2" .44 Spcl
Colt New Service 5 1/2" .45 Colt
S&W M629 4" .44 Mag (would use .44 Spcl)
Ruger Flattop Blackhawk 4 5/8" .44Spcl

No lightweights but I have substantial holsters and belts for each. Any of these you would immediately eliminate from consideration?

Levi

I have a Taurus 627 .357mag 7 shot revolver that's excellent. It's got great single and double action and it manages recoil very well. I carry mine in a Galco Wheelgunner holster that feels like it was custom made for it.

twoskinsonemanns

I sometimes OC a taurus 605 .357mag. I feels like your playing catch with Nolan Ryan without a glove when shooting the mags. Not too bad shooting 38sp.

Levi

I sometimes OC a taurus 605 .357mag. I feels like your playing catch with Nolan Ryan without a glove when shooting the mags. Not too bad shooting 38sp.

That's why I stepped up to the Tracker. Even with HSM BearLoads it feels ok. With regular range loads it's a lot of fun to shoot. I let other people on the range shoot it as well and so far everyone likes it. It's really cool to see a 100lbs woman shoot it and get a big grin on her face. It is the heaviest .357mag that Taurus makes so it may not be optimal to carry for everyone.

FrostyKRU

I carry a Taurus 650 CIA .357 mag. model! Personal preference. I love the bang of the Magnum and for me it is not a heavy gun.

ickthus

The Colt Python. You just don't have to say anything but colt python.

Last edited:

ppardue1

To me any revolver is the ideal OC revolver as only the most utter of fools will ask you if it is a Glock. :banana:

I have two that I OC: A Colt 1860 and a S&W 686. The 1860 is an aquired taste, however the 686 is quite pleasing and I would certainly recommend it.

tomrkba

Go Big Bore!

Ruger-Alaskan-Armor-Closeup-3.jpg

WalkingWolf

To me any revolver is the ideal OC revolver as only the most utter of fools will ask you if it is a Glock. :banana:

I have two that I OC: A Colt 1860 and a S&W 686. The 1860 is an aquired taste, however the 686 is quite pleasing and I would certainly recommend it.

I carry a 51 Navy while driving, once on private property I switch it out for a cartridge firearms in the trunk. Solves the problem with school zones. I keep a j frame and a cartridge conversion Navy for open carry on private property, or outside a school zone. I do carry autos on occasion but most times I stick to my revolvers.

JmE

I love my .45 Ruger Vaquero (old model) ~ Single action however, is not for everyone.

Agreed, mine in .45 acp and 3.75" with birdshead grip. If not that, a 1911 is always good.

Nice rig and sidearm, BTW. :)

SovereignAxe

My ideal OC revolver would hold 7 rounds and be chambered in .357 Magnum*. Light weight is a plus.

So I came in here to say S&W 686, but I was not aware of the 386, so I'll agree with you on that.

*I say .357 because .38 is more ideal for a smaller, concealable revolver (same for .327 Mag and all the other .32 caliber rounds. Although a 10 round .327 Magnum in a large frame would be interesting). .44 Magnum has too much recoil for SD (not to mention my ears would be bleeding enough after using .357 for SD. .44? No thanks), and .44 Special and .41 Magnum aren't common enough.

Dreamer

The ideal OC revolver is:

1) one that you are comfortable and proficient with,
2) one that goes BANG when you put your booger hook on the bang switch--EVERY TIME
3) one that is chambered in an effective self-defense caliber, and
4) one that is looks good on your hip...

Any other specifications, requirements, or advice are pure hoo-ha...

Levi

My ideal OC revolver would hold 7 rounds and be chambered in .357 Magnum*. Light weight is a plus.

So I came in here to say S&W 686, but I was not aware of the 386, so I'll agree with you on that.

*I say .357 because .38 is more ideal for a smaller, concealable revolver (same for .327 Mag and all the other .32 caliber rounds. Although a 10 round .327 Magnum in a large frame would be interesting). .44 Magnum has too much recoil for SD (not to mention my ears would be bleeding enough after using .357 for SD. .44? No thanks), and .44 Special and .41 Magnum aren't common enough.

All the .357mag 7 shot revolvers I have handled are a bit on the heavy side. S&W makes some scandium alloy 8 shot that are lighter but still heavy and way expensive.

I carry this http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=265&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=TS2 in a Galco Wheelgunner holster and find it very comfortable. It's also a great gun to shoot with recoil that feels better than most .38spl I've fired.

jbone

The ideal OC revolver is:

1) one that you are comfortable and proficient with,
2) one that goes BANG when you put your booger hook on the bang switch--EVERY TIME
3) one that is chambered in an effective self-defense caliber, and
4) one that is looks good on your hip...

Any other specifications, requirements, or advice are pure hoo-ha...
And,

5) Best Bang for YOUR Buck.