• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ideal Open Carry Revolver?

robin.kevin

I have a 357 model ... its sweet ... accurate as can be, easy to shoot, little recoil ... only need 1 shot with it (per "bad guy")

I personally have grown very fond of Single Action revolvers in last year. Went from none to two and love them both, one is just a cheap Heritage Rough Rider .22 which started my love and then I acquire a Ruger New Vaquero in .357 and it's now my home defense and hunting sidearm. I suggest anyone to try a single action, some say they aren't ideal for self defense but I disagree to each their own not going to debate that here...

tcmech

I have been considering buying a taurus tracker in 45acp with a 4" barrel. I don't know if it would be ideal for anyone else but I like the composite framed semi autos due to the lighter weight. My concealed carry revolver is a taurus model 85 ultralight. I don't normally open carry a revolver unless its deer season and then it is a ruger blackhawk 44 mag.

virginian45colt

I carry my Hammerli Virginian .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel. If you can't stop multiple BG's with 6 shots of .45 Colt your screwed anyways. I love my SAA's.
CIMG0913.jpg

EtdBob

'Nother vote for the good old fashioned thumbusters. One of my favorites is Lipsey's 3-3/4 inch Ruger Vaquero .44 special -

I'm surprised I see so many folks here recomending a single action six-gun. I kinda thought I was the last wing-nut that carried one of these!

Attachments

• 05146rt.jpg
    05146rt.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 607

62 Caddy

I personally have grown very fond of Single Action revolvers in last year. Went from none to two and love them both, one is just a cheap Heritage Rough Rider .22 which started my love and then I acquire a Ruger New Vaquero in .357 and it's now my home defense and hunting sidearm. I suggest anyone to try a single action, some say they aren't ideal for self defense but I disagree to each their own not going to debate that here...

I too have found a renaissance resolve with the Single Action Ruger's which has opened my world to many different manufacturers of SA's and the leathers that hold them.

JmE

I kinda thought I was the last wing-nut that carried one of these!

That's the thing about the last wing-nut... just when one thinks they've seen the last, another one of us always turns up. :D

virginian45colt

'Nother vote for the good old fashioned thumbusters. One of my favorites is Lipsey's 3-3/4 inch Ruger Vaquero .44 special -

I'm surprised I see so many folks here recomending a single action six-gun. I kinda thought I was the last wing-nut that carried one of these!

There's nothing wrong with old school. Just like nothings wrong with a 1911. Tried and tested.

Batousaii

Agree with "tried and tested", or tried and true as I'd have said. My very first firearm was an 1860 Army cap and ball from CVS. I built it from a kit at the age of 14 and cherished it as my prize possession. For many moons I would melt candle wax in to the bullet mold, and would fire them off in the back yard with the percussion caps as propellant. It was a blast, and I became wicked with my lil six gun. Did allot of trick spinning, fast draw (combat style, not competition) and shoot and move, so by 16 I was better with that cap-n-ball than most any other gun. Of course i was very safe when it came to live fire, big difference between wax and lead! ~So even now at 43, and even with my hand injury, i am very comfortable with my rustic 6-shooter, though i have upgraded to a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt, and long gone is my beautiful 1860 Army, lost to time and someone lusty hands while i was deployed serving Uncle Sam's biddings. Unfortunatly the trick spinning is hard these days, but i can still shoot with a natural grace ~ Thank God.

Long live the old-school single action six gunners, may your hands be fast, and your aim be true!

:dude: Bat

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

RUGER SP101 ,,View attachment 8759

Loaded with .38 Special +P Hornady Critical Defense FTX 110 Grain 1090 fps, :arrow:check it out,,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJdFGqgEx_c&feature=player_embedded

peace&rkba4ever!:cool:

Nice commercial, they should run it on prime time, but remember it is a commercial. The most important thing ammo can do is reliably feed, and go bang. The rest is up to the shooter's accuracy. I carry 38 special 158 grain over a full case of compressed FFFFG. The gun groups so close all holes touch at 25 yards from a rest.

We don't need no stinking expensive ammo. :monkey

And yea it's coming out of a 150 year old gun with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. Chalk up another old school SA open carry.

scott58dh

Nice commercial, they should run it on prime time, but remember it is a commercial. The most important thing ammo can do is reliably feed, and go bang. The rest is up to the shooter's accuracy. I carry 38 special 158 grain over a full case of compressed FFFFG. The gun groups so close all holes touch at 25 yards from a rest.

We don't need no stinking expensive ammo. :monkey

And yea it's coming out of a 150 year old gun with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. Chalk up another old school SA open carry.

Reliability?! = Why I carry the RUGER SP101 Revolver, 3" barrel. No Fail, No Problem from 7 yards.

RUGER, Proudly Made in the USA.

God, Guns & Guts Made America Free, Let's Fight to Keep All Three !

peace&rkba4ever!:cool:

gprod55

Wheel Gun

I carry a Hawes Western Marshal 44 Mag. Its a german made revolver that were used back in the 50's by lawdogs. It kicks like a mule and you don't want to shoot it to often but when needed adrenalin kicks in and you don't feel the recoil.
Thats the hip gun. The back up is a Charter Arms 38 special I carry in my boot. Both excellent guns that go bang when you pull the trigger

moonie

I use a Taurus Tracker stainless 44Mag with 2 1/4 ported barrel as my BUG, that count? 1911 is primary.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I use a Taurus Tracker stainless 44Mag with 2 1/4 ported barrel as my BUG, that count? 1911 is primary.

I like the .44Mag as much as the next two guys, but carry the same sized Taurus Tracker 455 (.45acp). Common ammo and all that.

stay safe.

Shoobee

I would suggest that my Smith & Wesson 386 Mountain Lite .357 magnum would be the ideal open carry revolver. With its Scandium alloy frame and Titanium cylinder it only weighs about 18 oz. unloaded. It hold 7 rounds and its recoil is snappy but not painful with Pachymayr Decelerator grips. It would not weigh one down in everyday carry and would provide tremendous firepower.

I plan to openly carry it when I travel in Colorado next month.

What do you think is the ideal open carry revolver?

A revolver only holds about 6 rounds. Some only hold 5. This is their main disadvantage.

As much as I hate glocks, I believe a glock would be a better open carry handgun than a revolver.

And as much as I hate glocks, this CZ is my open carry pistol.

10 + 1.

Attachments

• CZ 97B 45ACP.jpg
    CZ 97B 45ACP.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49

Shoobee

I like the .44Mag as much as the next two guys, but carry the same sized Taurus Tracker 455 (.45acp). Common ammo and all that.

stay safe.

Unfortunately a 44 rem mag is way too much gun for anti-personnel applications. It is better suited for bears. Due to the recoil it shoots too slow.

You can load 44 special in it, to solve the over-load problem, but then you are back to a revolver, which is a 6 + 0 situation.

Shoobee

There's nothing wrong with old school. Just like nothings wrong with a 1911. Tried and tested.

With the 1911A1 being a 7 + 1 capacity it is slightly better than a revolver, except that being single action you need to waste time either pulling back the hammer or else flipping off the safety, depending on whether you carry it in condition #2 or condition #1.

8 is always going to be better than only 6.

Faster to reload a 1911 also.

WalkingWolf

With the 1911A1 being a 7 + 1 capacity it is slightly better than a revolver, except that being single action you need to waste time either pulling back the hammer or else flipping off the safety, depending on whether you carry it in condition #2 or condition #1.

8 is always going to be better than only 6.

Faster to reload a 1911 also.

I don't need six, most cases probably only one maybe two, let alone eight, hopefully I will never need any.

virginian45colt

It's cool to see I'm not the only guy packing six shooters. Having a six gun is better than not having a gun at all. I also pack my Taurus .38 Special. It's only 5 shots but still better than not having a gun at all and it's a double action.