Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: DOJ wants more cash, workers for gun checks

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318

    DOJ wants more cash, workers for gun checks

    http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...oncealed-carry

    I'm sure they really wished we went to Constitutional Carry.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  2. #2
    Regular Member Trip20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wausau Area
    Posts
    527
    If we do not concede to these demands, they'll strike!

    oh... wait a minute... nevermind

  3. #3
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    If we do not concede to these demands, they'll strike!

    oh... wait a minute... nevermind
    That is a good one.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Allis
    Posts
    57
    Actually, in Madison, I think that they wished that we went to no carry, or no ownership, or just no firearms period.......

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    And of course, there is the ever increasing government...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  6. #6
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    DOJ wants more cash, workers for gun checks http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...oncealed-carry

    I'm sure they really wished we went to Constitutional Carry.
    As of last week, the agency had received more than 120,000 applications and issued nearly 111,000 permits. Department officials say they're currently receiving more than 2,000 applications every week.
    This is the 24th week of the year; so at this rate, we will have well over 160,000 licensed concealed carriers in Wisconsin by the end of the year.
    Last edited by davegran; 06-14-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426

    did anyone else catch this???

    They're asking for nearly $800,000
    and admit that the income so far from applications has been $5 million.
    I think that clearly demonstrates that the application fee is much too high... by about 5 times.

    If they can run the firearms division with $1 million a year, the application fee should be calculated to provide that. It's not meant to be a money-making proposition.

    Or if it is turning into that, the excess should provide for free (or low-cost) public ranges & training, including training for LEA/LEO on the new laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    They're asking for nearly $800,000
    and admit that the income so far from applications has been $5 million.
    I think that clearly demonstrates that the application fee is much too high... by about 5 times.

    If they can run the firearms division with $1 million a year, the application fee should be calculated to provide that. It's not meant to be a money-making proposition.

    Or if it is turning into that, the excess should provide for free (or low-cost) public ranges & training, including training for LEA/LEO on the new laws.
    sing me up for more ranges i think every county should have a range accessible to the public after all Training is very important , and live fire training is a major part of training , it isn't always easy to find a place to train.

    I am blessed with membership at a private range only a 20 minute drive from the house , but i know many don't have a range within an hour or more of them that they can train at.

    yellow stone , is a great example of a public range it was a hour drive one way , i was out there a few times before gaining membership at the private range , people were nice no range officer if you needed to set targets , you would ask the other people on the range and they would finish their shooting , then make safe , and everyone would go down and change out targets about every 15-20 minutes

    ranges don't have to be 100 yards long , 50 yards is good for most shooting , 25 yard pistol ranges would be very easy to set up almost any were there is a good sized hill to shoot into.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,192
    Most likely all the money they have taken in from permit fees went into the general fund.

    So DOJ has to keep going back for more.



    What Wis should is open it the permit process to nonresidents charge them 100.00 dollars and make some real money

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Most likely all the money they have taken in from permit fees went into the general fund.

    So DOJ has to keep going back for more.



    What Wis should is open it the permit process to nonresidents charge them 100.00 dollars and make some real money
    The intent of this was never to make money and if they are, then that has to be addressed.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    The intent of this was never to make money and if they are, then that has to be addressed.

    Any body that can do math knew $50.00 was way more then needed to cover the cost. Shouldn't take more the 15 min. per permit if there are no hold ups.

    Ten dollars would have been more in line.

    Even better yet consitutional carry.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    542
    Well, it is important to remember that the $50 CCL fee is NOT for a one-time gun check. The background checks that have to be made initially before a license is approved or denied, and the review and handling of an application and it's accompanying documents, are just the start of this process.

    For the next five years, the DOJ has to have systems, procedures and staff in place, to continue checking for felony convictions, mental health, domestic abuse issues and court orders that impact the licensees legal access to firearms. They have to setup, maintain, expand, relocate, test, upgrade, backup and restore their systems as needed. The staff needs to be kept trained and supervised.

    They also need to support the ability of LEO to verify the existence/status of a CCL for someone they have encountered, who is carrying concealed. These requests may come from within or outside of the state.

    The DOJ will probably not have accurate information about how much that five years of ongoing support will cost, until we are at least several years down the road.
    Last edited by E6chevron; 06-20-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

  13. #13
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by E6chevron View Post
    Well, it is important to remember that the $50 CCL fee is NOT for a one-time gun check. The background checks that have to be made initially before a license is approved or denied, and the review and handling of an application and it's accompanying documents, are just the start of this process.

    For the next five years, the DOJ has to have systems, procedures and staff in place, to continue checking for felony convictions, mental health, domestic abuse issues and court orders that impact the licensees legal access to firearms. They have to setup, maintain, expand, relocate, test, upgrade, backup and restore their systems as needed. The staff needs to be kept trained and supervised.

    They also need to support the ability of LEO to verify the existence/status of a CCL for someone they have encountered, who is carrying concealed. These requests may come from within or outside of the state.

    The DOJ will probably not have accurate information about how much that five years of ongoing support will cost, until we are at least several years down the road.
    That isn't what the proposed statute says.
    175.60
    (7) SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
    (c)A license fee in an amount, as determined by the department by rule, that is equal to the cost of issuing the license but does
    not exceed $37. The department shall determine the costs of issuing a license by using a 5−year planning period.
    There is nothing in the statute about ongoing expenses. Using a 5-year planning period is simply a method for averaging out the cost to issue a license. As far as the background check goes,
    175.60
    (7) SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
    (d)A fee for a background check that is equal to the fee charged under s. 175.35 (2i).
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •