• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

aurora park

nkunnen

There is a park near my house in aurora that i like to walk my dog and let my daughter ride her bike. I wondered about OC'ing in the park. So I looked for a sign and the one that I found did not say anything about no firearms. Now I know that on Aurora's website the have a general set of rules for parks that does include no firearms. Because there is no sign prohibiting OC is it ok to do it there. Or do I go by what the city website has posted on it. I have heard that places that towns or cities want a OC ban they have to have signs posted at every entrance. Whats your take on it? I talked to M-Taliesin about it yesterday but I thought that the sign said no firearms.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
They are required by law to post a sigin banning firearms, otherwise, I don't believe they can charge you with violating that particular rule found on their website.
Consider, if you will, that not everybody has computers at home. Not everybody has web access.
If it ain't posted, it ain't lawfully prohibited.
That's my personal opinion.

But remember, as in all things, I ain't no lawyer, so take my opinion for what it is worth.
I know what the law says... it clearly stipulates that signs must be posted in order to prohibit firearms.
No sign, no foul.
The law does not state that the posting shall be on their website... it states the sign must be posted on the grounds.

Then again, if it was me,... I'd just do it. But I'd also carry a copy of the posting law.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

entartet17

Highland Hollows

Two guys tried to rob me there at knife point back in 2003 or 2004. I wasn't quite old enough to carry at that time. I told them several times to "F**k off" and they eventually left. That may not have been the best way to handle the situation but it worked I guess. lol

PikesPeakMtnMan

What if the sign says "No weapons". I would think that includes firearms.
Im not sure if the park that the OP has a "No weapons" sign, but I did on the rare occasion see that sign in a handful of Colorado parks.

State pre-emption with regards to concealed carry...only OC can be banned, and then only if all the conditions are satisfactorily met. Anyone who can legally conceal in CO can pretty much carry damn near anywhere....and even OC there are only a handful of "off-limts" places.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
From what the OP has told me, there is more than the possibility of encountering nefarious types there. Evidently, it is a risky place for decent folks to tread without means of self defense. So prohibiting weapons would only affect law abiding citizens. Miscreants will blissfully ignore that prohibition as they bring weapons to the location in order to perform their various miscreancies. Why is it that the law abiding citizen is reduced to exposing him/herself to victimization? By law, no less.

Just an interesting side note; if there is a sign prohibiting "weapons" per se, I'd need to strip naked to visit that park. After all, I can make use of darn near anything as a weapon. For example, snap a credit card in half, and both rough edges can cut just as good as any knife you might wield. Granted, they don't snap in half easily, but once you develop a technique, it can be done in reasonable time. Then again, I usually wear a belt, and that too can be used as a weapon. Or how about shoe strings? Or how about some of the various digging tools I often have on my person when metal detecting? Or how about dirt that often remains in my pockets after metal detecting? Or if I've just been metal detecting, there is likely to be all manner of sharp objects in my pockets. For that matter, a handful of well thrown coins can do some damage at close range.

Then there is always the guy who has a degree of martial arts training, and therefore, his hands and feet are considered weapons?

See where I'm going here? In order to prohibit "Weapons", they'd need to define their definition of 'weapon'.

Heck, somebody walking a dog with a chain leash can inflict a whole bunch of damage with that chain.

The point is, the word 'weapon' is, in and of itself, somewhat ambiguous.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

nkunnen

The park is fine to go and have fun at until about 4-5 pm. Just last week Aurora PD had the road blocked off with 5 cruisers...... the sign doesnt say anything about guns at all, it just says thing about the pavilion, and general stiff live no motor vehicles....it says at the bottom of the sign.... for a complete detail of rules and regs, call the parks dept at....

mahkagari

From what the OP has told me, there is more than the possibility of encountering nefarious types there. Evidently, it is a risky place for decent folks to tread without means of self defense. So prohibiting weapons would only affect law abiding citizens. Miscreants will blissfully ignore that prohibition as they bring weapons to the location in order to perform their various miscreancies. Why is it that the law abiding citizen is reduced to exposing him/herself to victimization?

Naught for nothing, but why would you take your kids someplace frequented by nefarious types? Not trying to start an arguement, but open a discussion. Does anyone OC/CC so they can go "into the lion's den"? I carry for an extra layer of security in case unexpected trouble happens, but I have to constantly remind myself that if carrying is the only reason I feel I can go somewhere, I rethink whether I ought to be there. I.e. I carry for unexpected danger where I'm already going, if danger is expected, I don't go there. YMMV.

And yes, it sucks that BGs can run decent folk off and sometimes you gotta take a stand, but I have to admit my stance changes when it comes to my kids.

entartet17

Naught for nothing, but why would you take your kids someplace frequented by nefarious types?

Highland Hollows isn't that bad. Yeah, there is the occasional unsavory character but, at least for me, I don't have a problem going there at all (and I was almost robbed there). There are also plenty of nice folks and families that frequent that park.

Last edited:

nkunnen

Naught for nothing, but why would you take your kids someplace frequented by nefarious types? Not trying to start an arguement, but open a discussion. Does anyone OC/CC so they can go "into the lion's den"? I carry for an extra layer of security in case unexpected trouble happens, but I have to constantly remind myself that if carrying is the only reason I feel I can go somewhere, I rethink whether I ought to be there. I.e. I carry for unexpected danger where I'm already going, if danger is expected, I don't go there. YMMV.

And yes, it sucks that BGs can run decent folk off and sometimes you gotta take a stand, but I have to admit my stance changes when it comes to my kids.

Maybe the conversation should stay on track..........

Last edited: