• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 6-13-12: Tell Republicans to Deliver On Promises

rotorhead

Yeah, that was what I meant. Since HB111 is dead, the future legislation should be a bit broader.

In that sense, it was much broader when it began. If you remember, HB111 started out as a part of the larger HB650 which was passed into law last year. At the last minute, two important provisions were stripped out of HB650- "Restaurant Carry" and "Parking Lot Carry". The parking lot provisions would have made it illegal for private businesses to ban firearms stored in vehicles on their property, such as an employee storing his gun at his work place in his car due to his employer's rules against guns inside.

The Parking lot issue dies under the reasoning of applying property rights, that the state should not be telling private business owners what they should be using for policies. Ironically, HB111 was kept on life support and scheduled for the short session this year. They denied the Parking Lot provisions due to Private Property Rights issues, but kept "Restaurant/ Alcohol" issues alive. What's the difference anyway?

Is telling private businesses that they have no say in the issue any less of a property rights issue that the parking lot provisions?

But, once those two provisions were stripped out of the larger HB650, the "Castle Doctrine" bill was passed and signed into law.

So in reality, HB111 was part of a much broader bill encompassing much more than just the restaurant angle.

Last edited:

carolina guy

But traditionally, guns were a common sight on school campus. It was nothing for the guys to have their shotguns and rifles in a gun rack in their truck window....

growing up in Austin...I cannot count how many pickups in the school parking lot had rifles and shotguns in the racks...granted that was the 80's...and the perceptions were different. It was well known that if you took them out or "played" with them in the lot, you would get your butt handed to you on a platter...from the deputies in the substation directly across the road. :cool: Now...someone finds a butter knife...better put the whole state on lock down!

That said, it was NOT a common sight to see a gun inside the school or out in the parking lot...just in the cars/trucks.

So...the real question becomes how to get the legislature to do the right thing, if they will at all? If they don't then it sounds like it is time to sue again and roll things back some more!

brutus1776

places that charge admission and places that sell alcohol and where it consumed on premises are probably them most annoying prohibitions. but the prohibitions of firearms at protests, 'demonstrations' and really peeve me off as well. heaven forbid, you are legally armed, then you pick up a sign with some writing on it and you are an instant criminal.

carolina guy

places that charge admission and places that sell alcohol and where it consumed on premises are probably them most annoying prohibitions. but the prohibitions of firearms at protests, 'demonstrations' and really peeve me off as well. heaven forbid, you are legally armed, then you pick up a sign with some writing on it and you are an instant criminal.

Yeah...I think that there needs to be a protest BY OCers about the unconstitutional restrictions by the state...let them violate the 1st AND 2nd Amendments at one time. :)