• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are advocates for OC disliked so much?

sawah

let's say you are in a conveince store and a perp comes in with the intent to rob the place and see's you with your gun on your hip, the first thing he is going to do is disarm you or shoot you before you have time to draw your weapon.

Your scenario is only going to work if the person OC-ing is asleep. You are saying that a BG is going to be able to walk the distance to the person, walk around them to their strong side, put their hand on the gun, disengage the retention and shoot the person before they can draw the weapon? Have you timed such an event? You're talking about 10 seconds to come in the store, get to the person, go to his side, grasp the gun, release the retention and draw faster than a person WEARING the firearm can pull it out?

That's nonsense. How can you operate a 'gun and security' biz with such silly notions?

In fact, at least half the people OC-ing are doing so with a buddy. Half of them are wearing black clothing with a high and tight 4:00 wear position with a thumb release retention. Half of them practice drawing and have good SA.

So out of, oh, say 10,000 OC-ers, maybe 1 will have his gun stripped and be shot, so for a 1 in 10,000 chance you don't advocate OC-ing? (the real numbers might be 1 in a million).

Dreamer

The conceal carry crowd really dislikes our method of carry. Isn't the 2nd a right no matter how you decide excercise is? I like their argument that we do it for attention. That's all I ever hear.

It's all about elitism, machismo and MONEY.

CC is a privilege in most jurisdictions, and getting a permit costs a LOT of money. People who CC have spent a lot of money (often several hundred dollars) to get a permit. When they see people OCing, they realize that they have been ripped off, and instead of being angry with themselves or their legislators, they project their own self-loathing toward us...

And also, CC is BIG BUSINESS. CC certification classes are a multi-million dollar industry in the US, as is the sale of CC gear (holsters, etc). Some of the most vocal and angry critics of OC are CC instructors.

Just sayin'...

I find that many people in my part of the country (VA, WV, PA, NC) seems to actually like and appreciate OCers. I get a LOT of positive comments and questions in NC, VA and WV when I OC there, and I have never once had a negative comment, in over 3 years of OC.

I live in MD now, where carry in ANY mode is essentialyl impossible unless you are wealthy or well-connected. I still TALK about OC and CC, and I'm active in the pro-2A movement here, contacting my state reps and testifying before the General Assembly on gun rights-related bills when I can. AndI'll admit the attitudes here among the citizenry are VASTLY different about defensive carry than just a few miles to the north, west or south (PA, WV or VA). I have actually had several people tell me that they think that anyone who would want to carry is insane. And to that sort of mentality, there is no response. You can't argue with stupid...

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Some Concealed Carriers do not like to be reminded that Open Carry takes courage

CCers hate the OCers? I don't recall being interviewed...

No wonder I hate myself so much...

There is often a progression. People go from a gun in the home or hunting to concealed carry, to open carry. Each step takes a little more confidence and guts.

People who have not yet gotten to the point of being confident enough to open carry sometimes resent being reminded of it.

Open carriers show that they are willing to put themselves on the line to restore Constitutional rights. They are willing to face official disapproval to show that the people, and not the state, are still supreme. Many are not yet at that level of courage and will.

porterhouse83

I got into a heated discussion on another forum where I allowed them to push my buttons. I'm immature and a child and I just want attention. I do not get any attention when OC. Not really.

Tanner

It's all about elitism, machismo and MONEY.

CC is a privilege in most jurisdictions, and getting a permit costs a LOT of money. People who CC have spent a lot of money (often several hundred dollars) to get a permit. When they see people OCing, they realize that they have been ripped off, and instead of being angry with themselves or their legislators, they project their own self-loathing toward us...

And also, CC is BIG BUSINESS. CC certification classes are a multi-million dollar industry in the US, as is the sale of CC gear (holsters, etc). Some of the most vocal and angry critics of OC are CC instructors.

Just sayin'...

I find that many people in my part of the country (VA, WV, PA, NC) seems to actually like and appreciate OCers. I get a LOT of positive comments and questions in NC, VA and WV when I OC there, and I have never once had a negative comment, in over 3 years of OC.

I live in MD now, where carry in ANY mode is essentialyl impossible unless you are wealthy or well-connected. I still TALK about OC and CC, and I'm active in the pro-2A movement here, contacting my state reps and testifying before the General Assembly on gun rights-related bills when I can. AndI'll admit the attitudes here among the citizenry are VASTLY different about defensive carry than just a few miles to the north, west or south (PA, WV or VA). I have actually had several people tell me that they think that anyone who would want to carry is insane. And to that sort of mentality, there is no response. You can't argue with stupid...

I would agree with that. After all it is their livelyhood. That is why im glad I have met Proshooter. He is a firearms safety instructor but he not only advocates OC as far as I can tell he OCs 99% of the time. After the summer I will get a CHP just incase my shirt covers the firearm. But I think I have already said that.

jdholmes

So out of, oh, say 10,000 OC-ers, maybe 1 will have his gun stripped and be shot, so for a 1 in 10,000 chance you don't advocate OC-ing? (the real numbers might be 1 in a million).

Your number is definitely off. If I knew I had a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting my gun gabbed and being shot, I wouldn't open carry either. ;)

Those are pretty bad odds. Luckily your math made zero sense and used fictional numbers pulled from the darkest regions of a bum. ;)

Last edited:

GRIFFIN GUN & SECURITY

OK one more time.

Your scenario is only going to work if the person OC-ing is asleep. You are saying that a BG is going to be able to walk the distance to the person, walk around them to their strong side, put their hand on the gun, disengage the retention and shoot the person before they can draw the weapon? Have you timed such an event? You're talking about 10 seconds to come in the store, get to the person, go to his side, grasp the gun, release the retention and draw faster than a person WEARING the firearm can pull it out?

That's nonsense. How can you operate a 'gun and security' biz with such silly notions?

In fact, at least half the people OC-ing are doing so with a buddy. Half of them are wearing black clothing with a high and tight 4:00 wear position with a thumb release retention. Half of them practice drawing and have good SA.

"I DO ADVOCATE OC ALONG WITH ANY KIND OF CARRY." And I am quite qualified to run my gun and security business because I have no silly notions thank you very much. I'm glad to see folks Open Carrying, it's wonderful, I don't hate OCer's, not offended by them or anything else, I do both OC and CC. And even though I do both and condone both, it seems to me that it's the people who only OC that has a problem with folks who CC or do both OC and CC in here. I do what I want to do, have my own opinions and I don't force them on anyone else, as should everybody. I'm new here at OpenCarry.org and I'm sure not feeling the love here at the moment, lol.

Truckdriver1975

"I DO ADVOCATE OC ALONG WITH ANY KIND OF CARRY." And I am quite qualified to run my gun and security business because I have no silly notions thank you very much. I'm glad to see folks Open Carrying, it's wonderful, I don't hate OCer's, not offended by them or anything else, I do both OC and CC. And even though I do both and condone both, it seems to me that it's the people who only OC that has a problem with folks who CC or do both OC and CC in here. I do what I want to do, have my own opinions and I don't force them on anyone else, as should everybody. I'm new here at OpenCarry.org and I'm sure not feeling the love here at the moment, lol.

I think you'll find that most OCers support all carry. Of course there are opinionated people on all sides of the issue and plenty of people to fit any negative stereotype. I see a lot of hostility on other forums directed against OC, as I'm sure a lot of us on this forum have. I've yet to have anyone on OCDO show any hostility toward me or my opinions.

GRIFFIN GUN & SECURITY

Skin is purdy thick.

Just thought it kind of strange that to be coming into a forum full of gun lovin' carriers like myself, that there seems to be quite a bit of friction instead of like mindedness going on, lol.

PistolPackingMomma

Just thought it kind of strange that to be coming into a forum full of gun lovin' carriers like myself, that there seems to be quite a bit of friction instead of like mindedness going on, lol.

Thats what im sayin! that is exactly my point!

Being a gun lover doesn't exactly mean we're all brothers and sisters of the same mindset. Lots of folks here have VERY differing opinions.

rushcreek2

There is often a progression. People go from a gun in the home or hunting to concealed carry, to open carry. Each step takes a little more confidence and guts.

People who have not yet gotten to the point of being confident enough to open carry sometimes resent being reminded of it.

Open carriers show that they are willing to put themselves on the line to restore Constitutional rights. They are willing to face official disapproval to show that the people, and not the state, are still supreme. Many are not yet at that level of courage and will.
Precisely ! My own handgun carry history began in 1970 carrying a revolver when "traveling" in Texas - to habitually carrying a .38 Snubby while operating an 18-wheeler interstate for 23 years - during which time I obtained a Texas CHL when they began to be issued - to experimenting with open carry GRADUALLY after moving to Colorado in 2006.

In Texas - I felt "special" having a CHL - since you couldn't legally carry a handgun habitually without one.

In Colorado - My right to keep & bear arms that was denied by the State of Texas IS RECOGNIZED.

It is a progression.

I am convinced that another reason "some people" don't like us OC'ers is that it twarts their propensity to be BULLIES !

hammer6

well, i think you should take some time and read some posts so you can kind of get a feel and gauge some of the "frequent" posters. that way you can get a handle on their stance and whether they are being sarcastic, serious, or just playing around. Or, simply just interrogating.

like it was pointed out, you stated you were all for open carry, but then went on to illustrate a scenario that the majority of the posters here laugh at. then you described how you liked the strategic advantage so to speak, of concealed carry, and how you like to do it when off duty.

so take it all in stride big guy- do a little bit of reading, and then have another crack at it.